Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bloody van problems

WCF

Help Support WCF:

steve hawing

Van off the road for a couple days to sort out a steering pump leak and now a bad oil leak as well sake!!! i have a 1.8tddi connect and oil is all over the lower timing side bad im hoping it something like a crackshaft seal easy fix because i just have the money for a big repair right now

Has anyone else got this van or know what I should look for?

Its dark now adn under van is soaked in oil ill give it a good clean and see if i can see were it coming from tomorrow fingers crossed its something loose

It could be from so many places.

If its a crankshaft seal it could be that oil has also damaged the cambelt so that needs to be replaced. Oil leak would be coming from the 'front of the engine opposite to the gearbox.

If its coming from the gearbox side then it could be the rear oil seal which means the gearbox needs to be removed and the clutch replaced at the same time.

It could be a leak on the oil filter or it could be an oil drain (sump) plug gasket or something on the sump. (I've seen a spin on oil filter split at the seams.) It could also be a leak on the oil cooler housing the oil filter screws onto.

I don't know where the turbo is (I think its around the back of the motor) but it could be a oil delivery or return oil pipe issue.

It could also be a tappet cover gasket or a camshaft seal.

Is the oil filler cap still on?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok was out with a torch having a look and all the oil mess is concentrated under the big bottem pulley and has been sprayed all over the drive shaft suspension etc plus the bottom of the diesel filter, steering fluid bottle and rad bottle is covered in oil

would it be a good guess to say the crack seal is gone and with the spinning of the pulley its being sprayed around that area?

well the way its coming out im hoping it will be clear once i degrease it down and hit it with powerwasher

does anyone know how extensive a crankseal is to replace? im hoping its just take of crank pulley and the seal is behind it?

you need to lock the engine with special pins to then undo the pulley bolt. those pulleys are a taper fit

after that you need to remove the timing belt and behind that is the seal. bummer- a long job IF its the seal. if it is the seal the cambelt will be ruined with oil on it

thanks for that info

what do you mean by taper fit?

ok so if it is the cranck seal im looking at a new timing belt as well and water pump sake!

I have to add up now weather its worth even fixing depending on whats wrong, its an 04 with 135k on it, flew through the test in oct and not a bother on it now its just one thing after another

leaking crank seal is very rare . more likely oil pressure switch or filter housing.

taper fit, some [but not all] of those 1.8 had a pulley that was taper fitted onto the crank ,these are a bear to deal with. i used to be a mechanic till ten yrs ago, but im outta touch with it all now tho. as i said you need to get it spotless clean first then start it up with newspaper underneath watching under carefully for the oil drips with a torch look close for where the oils coming from.

ok ill check the filter housing carefully but where is the oil pressure switch?

yeah ill give it a good clean but the rate its coming out i dont think well i hope wont be to hard to spot

Latest Posts

Back