Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van rain / condensation on the roof - solved.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

After coming up for 12 months how has your cling film worked @Tango ?
Now I have a van I have condensation issues although one reason is I have a leak from my hose reel but that should be sorted when I fit my new reel.

It's always good to hear how practical solutions are working irrespective of if they make sense to me. Sometimes stuff just works despite what people may think and theorise about.
I nicked your idea in the end went to screwfix got some foil bubble wrap and double sided tape and fitted it last night,

Condensation still formed on the foil but only a very small amount in a few areas otherwise the roof would have been dripping

I nicked your idea in the end went to screwfix got some foil bubble wrap and double sided tape and fitted it last night,

Condensation still formed on the foil but only a very small amount in a few areas otherwise the roof would have been dripping
Good to know it reduces the condensation, which one did you get in the end?

I have found some stuff designed for campervan conversions made by Dodo that is self adhesive across the entire backing.

Good to know it reduces the condensation, which one did you get in the end?

I have found some stuff designed for campervan conversions made by Dodo that is self adhesive across the entire backing.
It's this one YBS Thermawrap General Purpose Insulation 10 x 1.05m and I bought the Dial tape, it was a fairly simple task although not sure if I'd have managed with the Dodo type stuff so easily when getting it positioned onto the roof and over the tank whilst having my reel bolted in the van,

With the bubble wrap, I managed to get it to go beyond the bulkhead a little when placing the first piece up, I put the tape around each edge then I put 3 strips of tape across but it might have been better to have done 1-2 more, but overall very pleased as we have had a lot of rain and cold nights and the foil has made a vast difference,

I'll do a quick video in the morning or some photos as it's forecast to drop to 0c and you'll get an idea of the difference compared to a dripping wet roof.

Today I had the condensation frozen on the roof and windscreen! I did however find what may be making it a lot worse than it should be! I had a leak on a hose fitting to one of my DI vessels (DI after pump - Streamline install and I haven't changed it). It was tucked away between my tank and the racking so wasn't visible! I should have spotted it yesterday as I was parked on a slope and water was dripping out of the drivers side from the tank mounting bolts - I think. I assumed it was just running out of the back and under the van!! Stupid me... Today I had the reel isolated and could hear the pump kicking in and out! So it was dead ending then losing pressure so starting up again! After taking half the kit out of the van I spotted the leak, it was quite a continuous dripping. Changed the hozeloc fitting and that seems to have fixed it.
I will spend some time soon emptying the van completely, drying off everything and checking for leaks again.

Might go for some Dodo Super Liner 10mm (no ali foil) as I have been told by a supplier: 'Adding the aluminium foil layer helps to reflect heat back into the vehicle, which is beneficial if using as a camper, but the aluminium layer can also hold some condensation.'

Today I had the condensation frozen on the roof and windscreen! I did however find what may be making it a lot worse than it should be! I had a leak on a hose fitting to one of my DI vessels (DI after pump - Streamline install and I haven't changed it). It was tucked away between my tank and the racking so wasn't visible! I should have spotted it yesterday as I was parked on a slope and water was dripping out of the drivers side from the tank mounting bolts - I think. I assumed it was just running out of the back and under the van!! Stupid me... Today I had the reel isolated and could hear the pump kicking in and out! So it was dead ending then losing pressure so starting up again! After taking half the kit out of the van I spotted the leak, it was quite a continuous dripping. Changed the hozeloc fitting and that seems to have fixed it.
I will spend some time soon emptying the van completely, drying off everything and checking for leaks again.

Might go for some Dodo Super Liner 10mm (no ali foil) as I have been told by a supplier: 'Adding the aluminium foil layer helps to reflect heat back into the vehicle, which is beneficial if using as a camper, but the aluminium layer can also hold some condensation.'

It does hold some condensation as you'll see

It's this one YBS Thermawrap General Purpose Insulation 10 x 1.05m and I bought the Dial tape, it was a fairly simple task although not sure if I'd have managed with the Dodo type stuff so easily when getting it positioned onto the roof and over the tank whilst having my reel bolted in the van,

With the bubble wrap, I managed to get it to go beyond the bulkhead a little when placing the first piece up, I put the tape around each edge then I put 3 strips of tape across but it might have been better to have done 1-2 more, but overall very pleased as we have had a lot of rain and cold nights and the foil has made a vast difference,

I'll do a quick video in the morning or some photos as it's forecast to drop to 0c and you'll get an idea of the difference compared to a dripping wet roof.
Just about to go and buy some of the same stuff from screwfix as the DoDo stuff has a very low insulation value, which surprised me!
Also getting double sided tape and ali foil tape for joints.
Looks like I am going to be busy this weekend, as well as insulating the roof and side panels my floor rollers should arrive tomorrow so hopefully reel can be fitted!

Cheers.

Just about to go and buy some of the same stuff from screwfix as the DoDo stuff has a very low insulation value, which surprised me!
Looks like I am going to be busy this weekend, as well as insulating the roof and side panels my floor rollers should arrive tomorrow so hopefully reel can be fitted!

Cheers.
I bought the YBS stuff because I know it's decent and has a good thermal value.

also, I got the big roll as we have a space in our loft that hasn't been insulated above the bathroom as there are only 2-3 inches between the ceiling and the slates on the roof where the roof slopes as we have a hip roof so I'll be itching all weekend off the fibreglass but hopefully I can get the YBS stuff to in far enough as a lot of the heat is lost through having that uninsulated area which is where the bathroom rad is situated as well

Cheers.
Lol I wouldn’t hold your breath on the rollers arriving ?????

I bought the YBS stuff because I know it's decent and has a good thermal value.

also, I got the big roll as we have a space in our loft that hasn't been insulated above the bathroom as there are only 2-3 inches between the ceiling and the slates on the roof where the roof slopes as we have a hip roof so I'll be itching all weekend off the fibreglass but hopefully I can get the YBS stuff to in far enough as a lot of the heat is lost through having that uninsulated area which is where the bathroom rad is situated as well
Talking of lofts, I found a silver box in mine last week and wondered if it’s valuable and curious to what it was.

I took it to the antiques roadshow. I said to the bloke ‘Do you know what it is?’
He replied ‘It’s your water tank mate’ ?

Latest Posts

Back