Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van Wrapping - Is it worth it?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If you are sensible and have a good designer, you can keep the price down with a mixture of wrap (say a quarter wrap) and vinyl cut graphics, which is what I believe people are referring to when they say 'normal sign writing' in the posts above. Very few people have actual hand painted (by a classic sign writer) lettering these days. 

It is all about brand penetration, if you are a one man band who plans to stay that way forever, you do not need to stand out from the crowd (once you have established and filled your round). Word of mouth should be enough to fill in any empty slots unless you are totally unreliable.

I would recommend to anyone to spend time and effort creating a brand which sets you apart and makes you recognisable from the competition. It doesn't have to be a full wrap, just decent branding which is consistent across all that you do, emails, invoices, estimates, flyers. You need to imprint your brand and your business on the minds of your potential customers. It needs to be something that they desire. A brand helps create that desire. and you can choose if you are Ralph Lauren or George.

Your brand affects everything. If you are seen as bargain basement, that is where your acceptable prices will be pegged forever. If you are viewed as more upmarket and desirable, you will be able to command higher prices and still win business from people with cheaper prices than you.

If you are the same as Joe Bloggs Window Cleaning and there is nothing to differentiate you from the competition, you will unlikely be market leader. It is counter intuitive if you apply logic but think of it as an Apple  imac computer, not cutting edge technology but a desirable brand that is reliable and works. 

I have read some very interesting studies and used some very interesting computer models of product percolation in markets, and the fact is if you a market leader, increasing your prices actually makes your product or service more desirable not less, and the competition is left fighting for market share from each other and not you. So aim to become market leader if you want an easier ride. This includes brand development as one of the most important activities you carry out.

It is horses for courses, naturally and some people do not want to grow, and that is their chosen model but if you do have designs on being more than a one man band, start as you mean to go on.

It is all about brand penetration, if you are a one man band who plans to stay that way forever, you do not need to stand out from the crowd (once you have established and filled your round). Word of mouth should be enough to fill in any empty slots unless you are totally unreliable.

I would recommend to anyone to spend time and effort creating a brand which sets you apart and makes you recognisable from the competition. It doesn't have to be a full wrap, just decent branding which is consistent across all that you do, emails, invoices, estimates, flyers. You need to imprint your brand and your business on the minds of your potential customers. It needs to be something that they desire. A brand helps create that desire. and you can choose if you are Ralph Lauren or George.
The above does matter whether you want a multi van op or are like me a one man band, Brand is key and creating a brand sets you apart from the competition.

I'll do a Scottish special and talk about myself, I saw this years ago and decided to set myself apart from others in my local area first one to start wearing a uniform of any sort then to branded  work wear, had a logo designed website, vehicle signage, fb page etc, I did most of this over 10 years ago and do my best to maintain my professional image and presence.

Of course you can do all of the above but if you can't run a business and are ? at cleaning windows you ain't going to succeed, some newbies belief the streets are paved with gold and blowing 10k on a van and system will see custys coming to them in droves. 

Of course you can do all of the above but if you can't run a business and are ? at cleaning windows you ain't going to succeed, some newbies belief the streets are paved with gold and blowing 10k on a van and system will see custys coming to them in droves. 
In the end the most important thing I have noticed in life is you Must be Reliable even if you miss bits they know you will be back around the same time next month. I have an old guy up here thinking of retiring as he has been going over 50yrs and still Trading. 100 odd customers and I think I will be his first choice. It would make sense because they are all near where I stay.

Fred Dibnah, what an absolute legend. Still amazes me how the guy would chisel away a brick at a time for those chimneys that couldnt be demolished.

View attachment 22222
I was just browsing back along when I saw this post.

I kind of, almost met Fred, about twenty or so years ago. He was at the Heddington Steam Fair, near Calne, Wiltshire. I got there very late having had a lie in due to exhaustion after a hard week of road working for a gas work contractor. The show was finishing up when I finally got there.

His family was packing up to leave and Fred was talking with members of the public and signing autographs. I was quietly watching from the opposite side of the now empty arena. After just a few minutes the last of the people left and Fred glanced across and saw me. I could see he was very tired and so, much as I'd have loved to speak with him, I'd already decided to leave him alone. He recognised that I could see he was tired and packing up and we simply gave each other a nod and a smile of mutual respect.

It's no big news item or claim to fame, I know. But it is a treasured memory for me. I felt he was the real deal, what you saw is what you got. I'd like to have had a chat with him if I'd got there earlier. But it would only have been rushed anyway. Being a public event.

Last edited by a moderator:
van sign  shows the low lifes what you may have in your van.    And they will know the value of wfp  poles etc.      Its a big choice to make.    good security is a must these days.  id love to have my van wrapped but i know theres scum who will want to look in the van to  see what they can have for free .   its easy to say take gear out at night,    sometimes you will forget

Plumbers   , sparkys      joiners  always getting van doors jennied open.       Always in the local rag  and FB.  There are people out there who do not give a damn   that its your work tools etc.   Great if you could electrify your van at night.   see them glow  trying your van doors

Last edited by a moderator:
van sign  shows the low lifes what you may have in your van.    And they will know the value of wfp  poles etc.      Its a big choice to make.    good security is a must these days.  id love to have my van wrapped but i know theres scum who will want to look in the van to  see what they can have for free
One of the reasons I got my van sign written was I think people are a lot les likely to waste their time to break into a window cleaning van when they could be targeting vans with expensive tools in. Poles etc are of minimal value second hand and harder to move on, compared to power tools. My thinking was if it wasn’t sign written then they might be more inclined as they may assume there’s tools of value in there. 

van sign  shows the low lifes what you may have in your van.    And they will know the value of wfp  poles etc.      Its a big choice to make.    good security is a must these days.  id love to have my van wrapped but i know theres scum who will want to look in the van to  see what they can have for free .   its easy to say take gear out at night,    sometimes you will forget

Plumbers   , sparkys      joiners  always getting van doors jennied open.       Always in the local rag  and FB.  There are people out there who do not give a damn   that its your work tools etc.   Great if you could electrify your van at night.   see them glow  trying your van doors
In some parts of the country you may be right , but not in most , sign written vans pay a smaller insurance premium so I don’t  think the insurance companies would agree with you , my  van has some of the latest security measures available on the market , Ime not prepared to go into detail but this kind of technology no longer costs a small fortune , and is very discreet , anyone trying to break into it will be easily identifiable, and 100% guaranteed not to be able to drive the vehicle away ???

Talking to a LIDL employee before Christmas and joked to her when she was putting those alarm things on some bottles of spirits that I could not see them being needed around here (area where I have lived for years) and she said "you must be joking,we have shoplifters  everyday, usually after 3pm and they just laugh at you when you challenge them now". 

One of the reasons I got my van sign written was I think people are a lot les likely to waste their time to break into a window cleaning van when they could be targeting vans with expensive tools in. Poles etc are of minimal value second hand and harder to move on, compared to power tools. My thinking was if it wasn’t sign written then they might be more inclined as they may assume there’s tools of value in there. 
I agree, it's well known that power tools shift fast usually sold online with the likes of Gumtree or a local auction place, how many people are going to be interested in a wfp and some brushes, item's need to shift fast and a wfp wouldn't and will be more likely to be spotted in amongst the usual stuff, 

There is scum every where so taking precautions is the best option, which is why I have under van rollers so my van is locked whilst working, but overnight is more important as you just don't know who is out and about, a bungalow was turned over some weeks ago near the horses and a jewellery box found in the stable and thinks Marley was stabbed with a screwdriver he had a 2" hole in his face, not what I wanted to find and when checking on them. 

PXL_20201119_163548901.jpg

I must have about a grand worth of insurance now. My equipment is insured for £15k so I will be able to buy new gear if I get done. The problem is when the van gets nicked and the time it takes for everything to get sorted out.

In some parts of the country you may be right , but not in most , sign written vans pay a smaller insurance premium so I don’t  think the insurance companies would agree with you , my  van has some of the latest security measures available on the market , Ime not prepared to go into detail but this kind of technology no longer costs a small fortune , and is very discreet , anyone trying to break into it will be easily identifiable, and 100% guaranteed not to be able to drive the vehicle away ???
sounds good

usually you would be targeted by up and coming cleaners  who would like your gear, not them personally but someone they may know.     ill have to look into van contents insurance , see how much will be added.    Poles around   £1000, reels around £300.     I think these  will be the main items being taken 

What difference are you paying for  contents insurance 

Back