Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water ‘dam’

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Truckcab79

Anyone know of a product than stops water going too far? For instance to avoid it spreading under a neighbours fence? I can only think of those sausage type things you see in supermarkets when the fridges leak.

Have a scenario for a regular client who wants some pressure washing done. Neighbour is a bit eccentric and difficult so they’d like me to minimise water flowing into her property as much as possible.

Or is it just a case of stop / start and keep brushing it down his own drains?

Thanks in advance.

There is such a product. It's like a flat tube that you fill with water and then lay it where you want the barrier.
Something like this: Heavy Duty Flex-Barrier
I have seen Ben of Flawless cleaning use it on youtube, he filled with water and it seemed to work well.

Perfect. Thanks matey.
Just the job. Bit pricey for one very small job (though I’ve done loads of other non PW work for these clients so won’t lose any sleep over it). Definitely one of those things that I know I’ll find useful many times once I’ve got it too.
Thanks again.

There is such a product. It's like a flat tube that you fill with water and then lay it where you want the barrier.
Something like this: Heavy Duty Flex-Barrier
I have seen Ben of Flawless cleaning use it on youtube, he filled with water and it seemed to work well.
A cheaper alternative to this which looks very similar would be 65 mm fire hose guess it would do a similar job ? Or sandbags

I try and do these jobs when the other person is away on holiday.
She’s not going anywhere for a while. Husband passed away not long ago. Quite elderly and basically spends her days pottering round the garden. Not worried about spoiling the garden as the other side of the fence is just a tiled side return same as ‘my’ side. I’m sure if I give her plenty of warning, show her how I’ll be minimising it and clean up after if need be it’ll be fine. Lot of hassle for a £250 job but bigger picture and all that. Client owns four properties and I work on all of them so it’s worth the grief and a day out of my life in the grand scheme of things.

You could buy a mud sucker go to 2.49 min -

Very cool. Heard of those but have to admit never actually seen one or appreciated how they worked. Assumed they were some sort of electric vac and I have a pond vac that I normally use for those occasions.

Didn’t realise they were that cheap either. Certainly a purchase worth making but don’t think it will help with this job where I need to stop the water moving across as I clean. It won’t pool anywhere without me damming it as the clients drains will take it away if I can stop it escaping. Just need to contain it while it does.

Just chap the door and explain what your going to be doing, tell her although youl try your best, it might run over onto her garden. But if it happens youl make sure it's left how it was before you got there.

Say you've never had any issues before with people but you like to give them a heads up to be polite. Getting it into there heads that it's usually not an issue for anyone else will make it harder for them to have any objections.

I always knock the neighbours door and give them a heads up, if any mess I'll go around and clean it up afterwards, plus you'll be amazed how much extra work you will get from them knowing what you're doing, win win.

I send a reminder text the day before to customer to move anything they dont want dust on and to mention to neighbour I will be coming the next day so they can move their motor or anything else they dont want dirt on. Ideally the aim is I turn up and their are no hold ups to slow the job down..

I send a reminder text the day before to customer to move anything they dont want dust on and to mention to neighbour I will be coming the next day so they can move their motor or anything else they dont want dirt on. Ideally the aim is I turn up and their are no hold ups to slow the job down..
I usually send a text like do you want me to take away the wheelie bin with no lid on it or do you want me to cut up that pallet and take it away. This morning I changed a light switch because it was broke. £20 I charge her and have spares in my van, I have my 17th edition. My customers know I'm a handyman and usually wait till I clean their windows and ask for my advice from refelting a shed roof or changing a glass unit. Breaks up the day rather than windows all day.

I usually send a text like do you want me to take away the wheelie bin with no lid on it or do you want me to cut up that pallet and take it away. This morning I changed a light switch because it was broke. £20 I charge her and have spares in my van, I have my 17th edition. My customers know I'm a handyman and usually wait till I clean their windows and ask for my advice from refelting a shed roof or changing a glass unit. Breaks up the day rather than windows all day.
With you on that. Most of my work is as a landscaper these days and I don’t really have much time for handyman work but I really enjoy it and it’s easy money so I’m loathe to give it up entirely.

With you on that. Most of my work is as a landscaper these days and I don’t really have much time for handyman work but I really enjoy it and it’s easy money so I’m loathe to give it up entirely.
Aye same here. My window customers get me the add-ons or other stuff so no need to advertise now. Landscaping can be very rewarding after the job is finished but sore on the back. Much of the stuff is heavy and constantly bending over so mostly effecting our backs.

Aye same here. My window customers get me the add-ons or other stuff so no need to advertise now. Landscaping can be very rewarding after the job is finished but sore on the back. Much of the stuff is heavy and constantly bending over so mostly effecting our backs.

Much of it!? ?. All of it. Just finished a smallish (24sqm) porcelain patio. No parking. Everything carried up a steep hill. No access other than a long walk to the rear of the garden. 8 tonne of soil out by hand. 8 tonne of MOT and mortar barrowed back in. A tonne or so of stone laid.

You can see why I enjoy flicking a paintbrush around or hanging a few pictures occasionally for a bit of a rest. ??

And on the flip side they’ve also booked a new kitchen, repainting the house, some bespoke shelving, the floorboards refurbishing, and then we’ve got two of the neighbours to price up for landscaping, painting and bathrooms. Pays to be able to do more than one trade. ??

Much of it!? ?. All of it. Just finished a smallish (24sqm) porcelain patio. No parking. Everything carried up a steep hill. No access other than a long walk to the rear of the garden. 8 tonne of soil out by hand. 8 tonne of MOT and mortar barrowed back in. A tonne or so of stone laid.

You can see why I enjoy flicking a paintbrush around or hanging a few pictures occasionally for a bit of a rest. ??

And on the flip side they’ve also booked a new kitchen, repainting the house, some bespoke shelving, the floorboards refurbishing, and then we’ve got two of the neighbours to price up for landscaping, painting and bathrooms. Pays to be able to do more than one trade. ??
As I said Backbreaking, you must be young yin. ?

Back