Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water bill?????

WCF

Help Support WCF:

What size tank and what filtration have you got ??? What’s your TDS??
I have re read your posts and see you have a 300 gpd unit to be fair theses units arnt really suited for what we do they are more aimed at the hobby fish keeper , anyone needing a reasonable amount of pure for window cleaning needs a 4040 set up this will produce much larger volumes of water , it might seam expensive initially but will pay for its self in a very short time , that would be my recommendation the busier you get the more you will need .

In using over 25,000 + litres of water per  week , imagine that on a meter ... id be bankrupt lol
I thought every unit would be on a water meter, especially drawing 5000 liters a day.

I'm trying to work your figures out. You have 3000 customers (number from a previous post). If you clean each customer once every 6 weeks you need to clean 100 customers a day. (6 weeks at 5 days a week.)

That means you are using 50 liters of water per customer per day. If you have 5 employees working for you (number from another post) they will each clean 20 houses a day. At 50 liters per house each employee would need a 1000 liter tank in his van to cover those 20 houses. On another post I'm sure you mentioned each Transit van had a 650 liter tank fitted.

I'm confused??

Where is you spare capacity to think about roof cleaning and gutter vacuuming? You will need additional vans and employees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought every unit would be on a water meter, especially drawing 5000 liters a day.

I'm trying to work your figures out. You have 3000 customers (number from a previous post). If you clean each customer once every 6 weeks you need to clean 100 customers a day. (6 weeks at 5 days a week.)

That means you are using 50 liters of water per customer per day. If you have 5 employees working for you (number from another post) they will each clean 20 houses a day. At 50 liters per house each employee would need a 1000 liter tank in his van to cover those 20 houses. On another post I'm sure you mentioned each Transit van had a 650 liter tank fitted.

I'm confused??

Where is you spare capacity to think about roof cleaning and gutter vacuuming? You will need additional vans and employees.
No, my unit has no meter in place, Now if it did have a meter in place i would be buggered... because once a meter is in place u can not take it out,,, they say in 10-20 years everythign will be metered, ive seen a few business premises that are reasonable and good buti cant move in them because they have a meter in place, i cant afford a meter unfortuantely, i would be out of  business!

I have a team of 6 people - and we used to have 650 litre tanks in them,,, but i took the plunge and upgraded them to 800 litre tanks ,,best thing ive ever done is upgrade the tanks., we all work differently and i found out what works for us the best, I know a few people can clean 25 houses with 350 litres of water and it may take some other window cleaners 1,000 litres to clean 25 houses , but every business works different :) And u certainly will be confused if your sat there trying to figure out my water/ job count ratio etc lol , even my staff can work that 1 out nevermind someone outside the business :p haha but yeah... i can  have 25 jobs on my worksheet one month they might not be so bad and i can get them done with 30 mninutes to spare... the month after the windows this time can be very dirty ! and i might only get 23 done, sometimes a house with heavy wind flow can get dirty every month etc, the windows in the winter are more dirty then they are in the summer. 

Ive got 7  vans officially on the road - 6 are always booked out with work , add ons are not as busy this month compared to November and December , its January though and every 1 is skint.. but its still going steady away... got a few add on jobs booked in this week but no where near the amount i had before xmas haha :D  We already do gutter vacuuming,, i love it , better money then window cleaning and very satisfied customers when they see all the **** come out hahaha 

The capacity is all in my head mate,, ive still got a few higher gears to go in to yet... and thats even with the area flogged full of window cleaners.. new start ups left , right and centre, but were still busy and theres stiill plenty of room for expansion in the next few years.

I wont be going into the roof cleaning market until i get a cherry picker so i cant see myself getting a cherry picker until 18-24 months time.. i think i need to be trading a minimum of 10 years before i look at a cherry picker so im gonna wait until i passed the 10 year mark as a window cleaner, going in to cherry pickers before 10 years experience is to soon.
Ive had a few customers asking me if i do driveway cleaning etc so im quiet happy im going to start offering the service in a few months :)

I have resin in stock all year round because i use a lot ! haha.... so i sell a few resin bags to people coming from Northallerton, Darlington, Durham, Sunderland ETC they ask me if i sell brushes and if i sell so and so part , and it puts ideas into my head thinking maybe i could open a little supplies shop for window cleaners? but i feel a shop would work with the amount of times im getting asked if i sell anything else, and the resin i get people are saying to me they are impressed with it and have said it lasts them longer and is also cheaper...  im saving a lot of local window cleaners money :D :)

Im always looking at getting bigger business premises because i know im going to need further extra space soon within the next 12 months or so, It would be nice to have more space so i can have space for extra vans we will be putting on the road in the next few years ,, plus i want to get a big massive 20,000 litre storage tank of water plus i would also like to open up a little mini window cleaning supplies shop aswell , so theres a lot of concept ideas i got in my head :eek:   I mean never in a million years would i of thought i would own 8 Ford Transits ? I got a spare van / for breakdown and for when my 7th van gets fully booked.. the 8th van can go on the road and then i can buy another van and drive it as a personal van for a while and service it and kit it up etc ... so im always prepared for growth , thats the key in business <3 :D

But we just got to take everything 1 day at a timea with all this pandemic situation, absolute nightmare to be honest with u, just want everything to be back to normal lol

I feel that water is starting to hold me back abit. In 12-14 houses I'm empty and in the last 2 days gained 7 new customers and 2 of them big houses. Starting to work 7 days a week just so I can get all houses done with the water I have. I need to be back at 2pm so I can start filling tank for next day. Really going to have to either look at a new system or a separate tank that I can leave running into while Im working so I've always got more water if I need it. ?
Best to have a storage tank as this makes things a lot easier also a suitable size van tank I can do 20-30 houses a day with 350ltrs a day,

If your R/O is decent enough then even getting and linking 2 water butts together would do and put your R/O in one of those keter storage chests, it will really depend what space you have at home and where you can put a tank and of course it needs to look decent if it's going in your garden, that's the cheaper option but a shed is the best option if you don't have a garage but decent sheds aren't cheap but they will stand the test of time unlike the cheap horrible shiplap ones diy stores sell. 

No, my unit has no meter in place, Now if it did have a meter in place i would be buggered... because once a meter is in place u can not take it out,,, they say in 10-20 years everythign will be metered, ive seen a few business premises that are reasonable and good buti cant move in them because they have a meter in place, i cant afford a meter unfortuantely, i would be out of  business!

I have a team of 6 people - and we used to have 650 litre tanks in them,,, but i took the plunge and upgraded them to 800 litre tanks ,,best thing ive ever done is upgrade the tanks., we all work differently and i found out what works for us the best, I know a few people can clean 25 houses with 350 litres of water and it may take some other window cleaners 1,000 litres to clean 25 houses , but every business works different ? And u certainly will be confused if your sat there trying to figure out my water/ job count ratio etc lol , even my staff can work that 1 out nevermind someone outside the business ? haha but yeah... i can  have 25 jobs on my worksheet one month they might not be so bad and i can get them done with 30 mninutes to spare... the month after the windows this time can be very dirty ! and i might only get 23 done, sometimes a house with heavy wind flow can get dirty every month etc, the windows in the winter are more dirty then they are in the summer. 

Ive got 7  vans officially on the road - 6 are always booked out with work , add ons are not as busy this month compared to November and December , its January though and every 1 is skint.. but its still going steady away... got a few add on jobs booked in this week but no where near the amount i had before xmas haha ? We already do gutter vacuuming,, i love it , better money then window cleaning and very satisfied customers when they see all the **** come out hahaha 

The capacity is all in my head mate,, ive still got a few higher gears to go in to yet... and thats even with the area flogged full of window cleaners.. new start ups left , right and centre, but were still busy and theres stiill plenty of room for expansion in the next few years.

I wont be going into the roof cleaning market until i get a cherry picker so i cant see myself getting a cherry picker until 18-24 months time.. i think i need to be trading a minimum of 10 years before i look at a cherry picker so im gonna wait until i passed the 10 year mark as a window cleaner, going in to cherry pickers before 10 years experience is to soon.
Ive had a few customers asking me if i do driveway cleaning etc so im quiet happy im going to start offering the service in a few months ?

I have resin in stock all year round because i use a lot ! haha.... so i sell a few resin bags to people coming from Northallerton, Darlington, Durham, Sunderland ETC they ask me if i sell brushes and if i sell so and so part , and it puts ideas into my head thinking maybe i could open a little supplies shop for window cleaners? but i feel a shop would work with the amount of times im getting asked if i sell anything else, and the resin i get people are saying to me they are impressed with it and have said it lasts them longer and is also cheaper...  im saving a lot of local window cleaners money ? ?

Im always looking at getting bigger business premises because i know im going to need further extra space soon within the next 12 months or so, It would be nice to have more space so i can have space for extra vans we will be putting on the road in the next few years ,, plus i want to get a big massive 20,000 litre storage tank of water plus i would also like to open up a little mini window cleaning supplies shop aswell , so theres a lot of concept ideas i got in my head ?   I mean never in a million years would i of thought i would own 8 Ford Transits ? I got a spare van / for breakdown and for when my 7th van gets fully booked.. the 8th van can go on the road and then i can buy another van and drive it as a personal van for a while and service it and kit it up etc ... so im always prepared for growth , thats the key in business ❤️ ?

But we just got to take everything 1 day at a timea with all this pandemic situation, absolute nightmare to be honest with u, just want everything to be back to normal lol
That’s an unusual situation all the industrial units down hear have water meters as standard Evan the older ones . 

I have a team of 6 people - and we used to have 650 litre tanks in them,,, but i took the plunge and upgraded them to 800 litre tanks ,,best thing ive ever done is upgrade the tanks., we all work differently and i found out what works for us the best, I know a few people can clean 25 houses with 350 litres of water and it may take some other window cleaners 1,000 litres to clean 25 houses , but every business works different ? And u certainly will be confused if your sat there trying to figure out my water/ job count ratio etc lol , even my staff can work that 1 out nevermind someone outside the business ? haha but yeah... i can  have 25 jobs on my worksheet one month they might not be so bad and i can get them done with 30 mninutes to spare... the month after the windows this time can be very dirty ! and i might only get 23 done, sometimes a house with heavy wind flow can get dirty every month etc, the windows in the winter are more dirty then they are in the summer. 

Ive got 7  vans officially on the road - 6 are always booked out with work , add ons are not as busy this month compared to November and December , its January though and every 1 is skint.. but its still going steady away... got a few add on jobs booked in this week but no where near the amount i had before xmas haha ? We already do gutter vacuuming,, i love it , better money then window cleaning and very satisfied customers when they see all the **** come out hahaha 

Ive had a few customers asking me if i do driveway cleaning etc so im quiet happy im going to start offering the service in a few months ?

I have resin in stock all year round because i use a lot ! haha.... so i sell a few resin bags to people coming from Northallerton, Darlington, Durham, Sunderland ETC they ask me if i sell brushes and if i sell so and so part , and it puts ideas into my head thinking maybe i could open a little supplies shop for window cleaners? but i feel a shop would work with the amount of times im getting asked if i sell anything else, and the resin i get people are saying to me they are impressed with it and have said it lasts them longer and is also cheaper...  im saving a lot of local window cleaners money ? ?

Im always looking at getting bigger business premises because i know im going to need further extra space soon within the next 12 months or so, It would be nice to have more space so i can have space for extra vans we will be putting on the road in the next few years ,, plus i want to get a big massive 20,000 litre storage tank of water plus i would also like to open up a little mini window cleaning supplies shop aswell , so theres a lot of concept ideas i got in my head ?   I mean never in a million years would i of thought i would own 8 Ford Transits ? I got a spare van / for breakdown and for when my 7th van gets fully booked.. the 8th van can go on the road and then i can buy another van and drive it as a personal van for a while and service it and kit it up etc ... so im always prepared for growth , thats the key in business ❤️ ?

I'm off for a lie down, I'm exhausted after reading that lot! ? In fairness you have got drive & ambition which are key to success. ?

That’s an unusual situation all the industrial units down hear have water meters as standard Evan the older ones . 
Really where u from ? Down here its a mix some have and some havent

I'm off for a lie down, I'm exhausted after reading that lot! ? In fairness you have got drive & ambition which are key to success. ?
?????? lmaooo I actually cant believe i written that either lmaooo and thanks mate ? 

@spruce what do u think of my big essay? I written all that for u man ?? are you still trying to work my figures and water ratios out ? ?

Really where u from ? Down here its a mix some have and some havent

?????? lmaooo I actually cant believe i written that either lmaooo and thanks mate ? 

@spruce what do u think of my big essay? I written all that for u man ?? are you still trying to work my figures and water ratios out ? ?
Sww were one of the pioneers of water meters there are very little properties let alone commercial premises without them  

Sww were one of the pioneers of water meters there are very little properties let alone commercial premises without them  
Not down here in the North East lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Not down here in the North East lol
You would probably be fine on a water meter.I know not ideal but it wouldn't be the end .You would claim the non sewage rate as you take the water a way and the bill would be plus vat which you would claim back.

Spotless are all on commercial water tariffs and seem to do ok with it.Same for Lee Pryor he used to get through around 50000 litres a week.

You can't find anything down here with out a meter.Some farm units may not have meters but they are harder to find and that comes with a different set of problems.

You would probably be fine on a water meter.I know not ideal but it wouldn't be the end .You would claim the non sewage rate as you take the water a way and the bill would be plus vat which you would claim back.

Spotless are all on commercial water tariffs and seem to do ok with it.Same for Lee Pryor he used to get through around 50000 litres a week.

You can't find anything down here with out a meter.Some farm units may not have meters but they are harder to find and that comes with a different set of problems.
Yes true but i dont mind paying a fixed £80 per month water bill each month , will happily do this for ever , they cant force u to have a meter in either so ill just pay this monthly figure all the time ?  No messing around reading meters , just a £80 fee every month is good ? 

Exhausted after reading that lot. Awesome businesses out there!

At my age Im going the other way! With two or three people with me most days I still only use about 500 ltrs per day and use two di tanks which fill up the van in about an hour maximum. 

If you are working on your own surely that would keep you going till 4pm though we do some trad work mixed in too.

Exhausted after reading that lot. Awesome businesses out there!

At my age Im going the other way! With two or three people with me most days I still only use about 500 ltrs per day and use two di tanks which fill up the van in about an hour maximum. 

If you are working on your own surely that would keep you going till 4pm though we do some trad work mixed in too.
i use the best part of  500L most days in 5-6 hours.....i dont trad anymore apart from the odd ground floor job...im DI only and it only takes me 30 mins to purify my water for my next days work...i work on my own....

Back