Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water fed pole commercial vs residential

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thanks for sharing this! I see it’s four stores high do you need special poles as I am guessing most residential poles only go up to 3 stores? Do you do the contract on a yearly basis or a number of years? I.e 3 and 5 years is there an industry standard? Is there a place I could get a standard contract.
Just so you know handling a 35ft pole or longer takes skill. It's not something you should try and jump into if you don't have experience of controlling shorter poles first. 

Just so you know handling a 35ft pole or longer takes skill. It's not something you should try and jump into if you don't have experience of controlling shorter poles first. 
Yes that’s a fair point I’m just trying to plan out options and see where I can head towards. Appreciate the heads up about needing the experience of the poles first.

Ok I will have a look at them. Can you recommend a good stocker? How long do the systems in the van last? I’m being told 10-15 years...
CLX poles are Gardiner poles.

System lasting 10 -15 years ? bit like triggers broom. The pumps will last maybe a few years depending on use. The controllers seem to go on forever if looked after. Then the tank and frame don't really wear at all - so indefinately.

Then you have batteries - some people get 7 or 8 years others 6 months, again all depends on how you look after them.

Looks like you are trying to work out return on investment? The most difficult part is getting customers.

System lasting 10 -15 years ? bit like triggers broom. The pumps will last maybe a few years depending on use. The controllers seem to go on forever if looked after. Then the tank and frame don't really wear at all - so indefinately.

Then you have batteries - some people get 7 or 8 years others 6 months, again all depends on how you look after them.

Looks like you are trying to work out return on investment? The most difficult part is getting customers.
Yep agree, no good working out return on investment tbh, you've spent it ,use it. I've been going 1 month now. Am up to 16 customers(from scratch start) getting customers ain't easy ,as no door knocking with how it is atm. Just been flyers and a couple of recommendations. 

Yep agree, no good working out return on investment tbh, you've spent it ,use it. I've been going 1 month now. Am up to 16 customers(from scratch start) getting customers ain't easy ,as no door knocking with how it is atm. Just been flyers and a couple of recommendations. 
Oh I did get 4 from Facebook ads.  Which was a good £30 spend tbh. 

Oh I did get 4 from Facebook ads.  Which was a good £30 spend tbh. 
The Facebook ads was that specific to your local area I assume!

Trying to get all mr costs so I can see what I need to borrow and where my break even will be. I know cleaning the windows is the easy bit.

I'm a lone voice regarding the CLX by the way. Gardiners sell them and I have a 10 year old system in my 1st van. Changed filters, pumps, membrane etc. The only original bits are the tank and frame. 
Oh ok great I will check it out. Thank you. What would recommend putting aside for general bits being replaced a month then? Only a ball point figure

Trying to get all mr costs so I can see what I need to borrow and where my break even will be.
Be very careful as there are many many new starters and gaining customers takes time and lots of effort. So you need to ensure you have money to live and pay loans till you get customers - maybe 2 years to get decent round. If I were you I would invest as little as you can and work out of your car, see if you can gain customers and then invest once you know your local market. 

Have a read of @HWCS thread here 

He did an amazing job getting customers and put in huge work - before covid that is. 

Be very careful as there are many many new starters and gaining customers takes time and lots of effort. So you need to ensure you have money to live and pay loans till you get customers - maybe 2 years to get decent round. If I were you I would invest as little as you can and work out of your car, see if you can gain customers and then invest once you know your local market. 

Have a read of @HWCS thread here 

He did an amazing job getting customers and put in huge work - before covid that is. 
What’s the thread about I seem to be just taken to his profile. Sorry if I am being dumb.

Back