Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

water freezing on windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've only got a 400litre upright tank n one layer of insulation, I'm surprised that the water is still hanging about 50 degrees near end of day, i put my heater on about 10pm at night n its not fully turned up. The van has a layer of insulation, small van, so maybe keeps it cosier.
What heater do you use?

Water will freeze on windows like on a garage windows, dormer windows where the temp of those window on the inside are cooler or cold because most people dont have those rooms heated. There are other time windows might freeze up.

If the window was scrubbed and rinsed well or bladed off the window before freezing up should be fine.

It used to be a thing to add a splash of isopropyl alcohol to the tank to prevent freezing. Not an issue where I live so I've never tried it.

It used to be a thing to add a splash of isopropyl alcohol to the tank to prevent freezing. Not an issue where I live so I've never tried it.
I use isopropyl alcohol in my trad bucket when I'm doing exterior windows when the temps hit zero.

It gives you enough time to finish the glass before freezing.

The smell is strong so if you have to do interiors following make sure you have clean water and a different washer sleeve...

I'm out between noon and 3pm at moment and not cleaning doors which they are happy about. Hot water working great now with new pump installed. A ton a day and I'm very happy considering weather up here.

Hot water freezing on the ground no thanks we don't get that many days sub zero in any given year take the opportunity to have a rest and take the day out should be enough time in a week to catch up I'll do weekends if necessary.

do you charge them up every night with a commercial charger?ive got 2 x numax 105ah batteries powering my 9kw  diesel heater,pump and electric reel for over 3 years now and their still great.......
I never charged mine for over a year not realising its better to charge every night. So I guess they are not holding a charge. Looking at getting a few 110 amp agm leisure batteries for £250 and look after them this time.

I never charged mine for over a year not realising its better to charge every night. So I guess they are not holding a charge. Looking at getting a few 110 amp agm leisure batteries for £250 and look after them this time.
its a newbie mistake...you live and learn.........always charge your batteries up every night without fail with a good charger and leave them on float charge during the winter months overnight for the frost stat if it needs to kick in.....

So what’s been charging them up ? Running a boiler all day and a couple of pumps and 2 electric reels uses quite a bit of power each day the batteries would be flat after 2-3 days use .

So what’s been charging them up ? Running a boiler all day and a couple of pumps and 2 electric reels uses quite a bit of power each day the batteries would be flat after 2-3 days use .
Aye, I think at the start I was cleaning windows with cold. I never really new how it all worked and thought my driving would charge them. I understand why we plug in the fire engine after every turnout now.

My battery is connected to the vehicle battery. I occasionally go for a longer drive to get it charged up. The battery powers a reel and pump. 

Should I be connecting it to a charger for a good charge, and if so, how frequently? 

It has never died on me yet but I appreciate I could be shortening it's life by not fully charging it. 

Latest Posts

Back