Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water heating wfp system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

There was a member on here and the other forum called @Smurf.

He fitted a gas heater and gas bottle to a trolley. When he needed hot water he used to take the unit out of the van and set the unit up outside and heat water from his customer's tap. This suited him as his focus was gutter clearing, fascia and gutter cleaning as well as conservatory roofs. He did window cleaning as an add-on. It he wanted hot water to clean windows with he just coupled his heater trolley up to his van port.

I thought this was a good idea, but later he just couldn't be bothered and just left the unit in his van.

To make a unit like that would be relatively easy @Tango but I can assure you that the unit will end up to be heavy and cumbersome. The handle folded down but it still took up a lot of space in the back of my Suzuki Carry van I had at the time. It looks the business, but I can assure you it wasn't.

The frame on the Fogwill trolley was very flimsy and the structure would bounce with 2 fully 25 liter drums on it. The wheels weren't big enough and the from stand was too close to the ground and would keep catching as I pushed it.

Purefreedom made a better job of a twin barrel trolley but sales never 'took off'. It was the same with Brodexs' 50 liter trolley and a few other suppliers as well.

The guy who bought my trolley begged me to sell it to him. He used it a couple of days and then sold it on.

What's the difference between them if you don't mind me asking? 

His was a 6lpm heater and most of the heaters that look similar on Ebay are 8lpm. You need a certain water flow through the heater to fire it up. The Fogwash worked better as it needed a lower flow to operate.

If memory serves me Peter said the heater stayed lit with around 1 lpm of water flow. The 8lpm units require more than that. The tollerances vary quite a bit between units, so 1 might work on a lower flow than another manufactured by the same Chinese factory.

A low flow to wash and rinse a window wasn't what Peter believed in. His idea was to flood the window with water, scrub and then rinse quickly and move on. It took a few cleaners quite a time to convince Peter to do the minimal water flow test.

His was a 6lpm heater and most of the heaters that look similar on Ebay are 8lpm. You need a certain water flow through the heater to fire it up. The Fogwash worked better as it needed a lower flow to operate.

If memory serves me Peter said the heater stayed lit with around 1 lpm of water flow. The 8lpm units require more than that. The tollerances vary quite a bit between units, so 1 might work on a lower flow than another manufactured by the same Chinese factory.

A low flow to wash and rinse a window wasn't what Peter believed in. His idea was to flood the window with water, scrub and then rinse quickly and move on. It took a few cleaners quite a time to convince Peter to do the minimal water flow test.
Yes that’s true about Peter. I remember speaking to him about me plumbing in the fogwash, and he said he doesn’t believe in controllers, and he would have the pump on full flow at all times 

I can't imagine using the Back pack on full all the time. I went out canvassing today, took one booking for next week but no actual work (was only out for about an hour so no surprise really). Got back to the car and rather than lift the BP back in full (30kg) I decided to decant the pure back into the barrel with the BP on full. Took around 7 minutes, 10 tops. I saw a few other windys here saying they always use it on full. I can't imagine having an entire house done in that time at that speed.

Anyone tried one of these little hot water heaters and got any feedback on them?

View attachment 17097

Some guy is making these trolley setups and I was mulling over the idea of modifying my setup to carry one if they're any good?

I used to rave about the LPG heaters, they are cheap to buy, install and run (if you have a decent supplier close by). I’ve had two in my van - both have caught fire. I was adamant at the time a CE marked heater would be quality tested and safe to use but they (eBay ones) are poorly assembled cheap Chinese rubbish. I’ll dig out a picture of the last one that self destructed - basically the wiring melted inside and ‘smoked a little!!!’

id imagine a ‘mobile’ LPG heater would suffer with flame blowout quite a lot unless it was housed in some form of case.

If I was tempted to do it again I’d get a proper caravan type LPG boiler. 

With regards to hot water - I wouldn’t be without it. I use mine all year round. Does it clean better - no, more thoroughly- most definitely! I’ve gone back to jobs that I’ve done first cleans on with cold and been amazed by the dirt that’s come out of all the seals and gaps.

I use a diesel webasto heater in my van but still think the most reliable and simplistic way of heating water is by a van mounted immersion heater (installed correctly and with adequate house electrics)

I have a 2kw immersion fitted in my 650ltr flat tank. Plugged in overnight on the drive with an ordinary extension cable. No need to upgrade mains supply for 2kw. I can't remember where I got it. I've had it for close to three years I'd say. They can be got from companies that supply for houseboats and the like. Difficult though for folk with on street parking only, sadly. No extra battery needed as it's mains electricity. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2kw immersion fitted in my 650ltr flat tank. Plugged in overnight on the drive with an ordinary extension cable. No need to upgrade mains supply for 2kw. I can't remember where I got it. I've had it for close to three years I'd say. They can be got from companies that supply for houseboats and the like. Difficult though for folk with on street parking only, sadly. No extra battery needed as it's mains electricity. 
What do you think of that? I have an upright tank

CAA110A3-53AD-4EB4-B327-C261F2A000B6.png

What do you think of that? I have an upright tank

View attachment 17154

This subject has been covered in depth before, so a search will bring up a number of threads.

There is a video on Youtube as well.

Fitting an emersion heater into your tank can have catastrophic consquences if you get it wrong - like setting fire to your house. No disrespect intended, but by reading between the lines to your questions, I would say that this is way out of your depth. I would emphatically advise you to employ the services of an electrician to fit a proper outside socket and wiring it to your consumer board that will carry the additional current.

You will also need a 16amp extension lead from the wall socket to your van.

A 3kw emersion heater element draws a higher electrical current that a 13amp plug and extension cable can provide.

DON'T DO IT, PLEASE. 

Look for a 2kw,  Squeakyclean Dave Has YouTube video about it , 
Yes 2kw is the one I'd recommend. I'd still put a dedicated outside socket as Spruce suggested, that's what I did. Overnight is a long time to have a a 2kw draw on a system so it's definitely worth having proper protection. Get a professional electrician to do it. On my flat tank I was able to fit the emersion about three or four inches above the bottom so all the water gets heated. I don't know how low you'll be able to get an emersion in an upright tank as you're probably restricted by arm length. So you may have cold water below the element. On the other hand it might mix when you're driving. I get the water to about 60 degrees overnight and it only loses about five degrees in the working day. I have about four or five layers of bubble wrap with foil on both sides encasing the tank and an 18mm rubber mat on top of it to make a raised floor for the side reel and pole. I cut a hole in the mat to allow access to the filling cap. 

This subject has been covered in depth before, so a search will bring up a number of threads.

There is a video on Youtube as well.

Fitting an emersion heater into your tank can have catastrophic consquences if you get it wrong - like setting fire to your house. No disrespect intended, but by reading between the lines to your questions, I would say that this is way out of your depth. I would emphatically advise you to employ the services of an electrician to fit a proper outside socket and wiring it to your consumer board that will carry the additional current.

You will also need a 16amp extension lead from the wall socket to your van.

A 3kw emersion heater element draws a higher electrical current that a 13amp plug and extension cable can provide.

DON'T DO IT, PLEASE. 
Sorry that’s the wrong one I am looking at 2kw I took that picture because it was a long element I’m planning on fixing it to the top of the tank do you think this will be ok but a 2kw?

thanks

Sorry that’s the wrong one I am looking at 2kw I took that picture because it was a long element I’m planning on fixing it to the top of the tank do you think this will be ok but a 2kw?

thanks

You really need to think this through a bit more tbh. What happens if you tank isn't full to the brim?

My advise now is not even consider an electric heating element.

Back