Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFPS - Crash Tested

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

I read a lot of posts about crash tested systems and a lot of the information/opinions i read are incorrect.

This is taken from the horses mouth.

[media]

[/media]
The video you are referring to of the 'tank fail' is the very first prototype crash tested system we sent along for exploratory testing of designs and to start to understand the forces involved in restraining a system.

It really does look catastrophic and is if there was no restraint at all - however that is definitely not the case. It was a modular tank design with 850litres of water in it with screw-on lids. It did have a restraint system which weighed about 90kg and was very securely mounted into the van. It was a low-level perimeter frame mounting system (as favoured by many DIYers) along with restraint bars through the moulded centre of the tanks - these were all fixed with 16mm bolts through floor into spreader plates under the floor. We learned a lot from this 'failure' and used it to greatly improve subsequent designs and MIRA tests.

What happened in the accident-test was:

1. The tanks collapsed under the weight of the water (this was despite being tank standard 6mm thick polythene) - this was because despite feeling very strong the tank itself is flexible in a crash and without full height restraint at the front can move too far forward.

2. Due to the collapsing pressure of the water the lids were blown off and the tank ripped apart.

3. Then under the strain of this forward movement the restraints bolts and spreader plates (1/4 the size of the current ones) started moving forward and sliced through the floor pan like a knife through butter destroying several cross members as it slid through them.

4. The system had moved completely out of the cargo area, through the cab area and then the forward moving water ripped through the engine bay bulkhead.

At the time I was not very pleased with the end result ******************************/Smileys/classic/angry.gif - however as a learning tool it was invaluable and taught me a new respect for carrying such a concentrated (most of the vehicle's load in just a 1/6th of its load area) and fluid (as in its ability to change shape) load.

What we did learn has been incorporated into the current Grippamax systems:

Non-Modular increased strength tanks

Burst-proof lids

Low level tanks

Full 'honeycomb' baffling

Full height restraint system

T-Bar front and rear restraint bars with large bonded spreader plates

This is why i had a grippamax system fitted.

Fitting your own wydale tank in a steel frame through the chassis is not the same as grippamax system or a proper crash tested system. On the market there are several companies with crash tested systems and some perform better than others. The issue has and always will be the tanks used in DIY systems.

If you watch the video you will see the lids are screw type and the same as wydale tank designs.

Are there any results available for a crash test over 30mph?

That is my issue as i have not found any

There only seem to be test results at 30mph

I may be wrong and you would be the one to put me right @Damo as i know you take the safety aspect seriously

Don't get me wrong it's still safer than a diy tank setup but it would be interesting to see what would happen if someone had an impact at 50 for example if someone pulled out on them type accident

That would be a sideways impact though.

I think at 50+ mph you may be lucky to walk away form any accident. Regardless of what's in the back.

exactly why I went with Grippa I have more faith in a company that went to the trouble and cost[around 50k]to put a system through a crash test than trusting hear say from window cleaners on forums on what may happen or not in a crash.

As a business window cleaning has fairly low running costs and over heads compared to others.Spending good money on a system is a minor expense especially if it may save you in a crash.

Dont forget 99% of vans have a full bulk head, so anything in the back is going to have a hard time gettimg through anyway. Saying that though if I had the money then I would go for a grippa tank.

Dont forget 99% of vans have a full bulk head, so anything in the back is going to have a hard time gettimg through anyway. Saying that though if I had the money then I would go for a grippa tank.
Your stats are a little off there Rezzi, I see shed loads of vans out and about with no bulk head.

I would always go with a bulk head though as I reckon improved safety to me as well as well as more security for my tools.

lol 99% of the vans ive seen /emoticons/biggrin.png, I think anyone would be mad to buy a van without a bulk head.

My old little kangoo didn't have a bulkhead. I would say there are plenty out there that don't.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Are there any results available for a crash test over 30mph?That is my issue as i have not found any

There only seem to be test results at 30mph

I may be wrong and you would be the one to put me right @Damo as i know you take the safety aspect seriously
There seems to be a difference to the way tests are done.

I can imagine that if these grippamax where tested with a head on crash test with higher speed then 30mph they will be safe as well.

quoting grippatank;

What is the difference between a HyGe sled test and a head on crash test?

Both tests demonstrate the force that is generated by water inertia. In a head on crash test the crumple zones of the vehicle will absorb some of the energy created on impact. This means that the full force will not be transferred to the tank unit itself. The HyGe sled test is a 'bare' test and transfers the energy instantly to the tank unit and fixings, thus, giving a fuller understanding of the strength and capability of the tank and its fixings.

Back