Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What are the safest ladder clamps

WCF

Help Support WCF:

iv allus used lashing straps with a combo lock at night . Watch out if you buy Rhino ladder clamps the quality has gone shockingly downhill and they start losing their grip after only a few weeks , friend of mine showed me his recently

Attachments

• IMG_7867 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7867 - Copy.JPG
    855.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7868.JPG
    IMG_7868.JPG
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 2
Just bought a

2 Van Guard Ultibar Trade Roof Bars + Roller​

Anyone know what the best, safest and securest, ladder clamps for them. Regularly in hotels so security is a concern. Don't slaughter me if the roof bar is :poop: ๐Ÿ˜
I've never used ladder clamps. I went for a rhino commercial ladder channel and have two front anti lift bars and a rear replaceable 50mm wide locking strap

I find that most ladder clamps require you to need a set of step ladders to remove them and I personally don't trust the screw threaded versions of clamps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240531_163308_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240531_163308_Instagram.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240531_163323_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240531_163323_Instagram.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 2
My latest van is only a Peugeot Partner and I should be able to reach up and undo / untie anything I use. Ratchet straps and a lock should, hopefully, stop opportunist thieves. The roof rack will be removed when I'm not doing gutters.
Remember any lock that hold ladders to roof bars are only as secure as the fixings holding the roof bars to the van! If the roof bars are just bolted then someone with a spanner could unbolt them?

I'm sure you know that though.

Remember any lock that hold ladders to roof bars are only as secure as the fixings holding the roof bars to the van! If the roof bars are just bolted then someone with a spanner could unbolt them?

I'm sure you know that though.
As I said it's only to stop opportunist thieves, nothing would stop someone tooled up to pinch them.
I am only in a hotel for 1 night, then moving to another

I got a rhino roof rack on my new van, one with the sides on it. I positioned load stops on it so my ladder just sits in it. No need for clamps

Iโ€™ve got a rhino roof rack and I use the rhino clamps. Theyโ€™re quick and easy and you can lock them. Iโ€™ve never had a problem with them. I would keep them locked though as theyโ€™re still worth quite a bit on eBay even without the keys

Iโ€™ve got a rhino roof rack and I use the rhino clamps. Theyโ€™re quick and easy and you can lock them. Iโ€™ve never had a problem with them. I would keep them locked though as theyโ€™re still worth quite a bit on eBay even without the keys
I thought they was ****. Kept coming loose and my ladders slid on top of my van because of them! Went back to the Macalister ones

I'll be driving a couple of hundred miles to get to the first job and have 3+ nights in hotels. Can't leave them in a car park where someone can just lift them off the roof.
Plus it would be classed as an unsafe load by the plod if you got stopped

In all my years doing this the police have never pulled me and I've never used a ladder clamp or any other type of clamp to secure them.
While they have never come off so far, IF they did and someone was hurt you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
I know you think it's unlikely and you may well be a very diligent driver but it's the other road user doing something stupid you need to worry about.

While they have never come off so far, IF they did and someone was hurt you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
I know you think it's unlikely and you may well be a very diligent driver but it's the other road user doing something stupid you need to worry about.

That's the state of my last van after an accident, the ladders didn't budge, I had this roof rack on it, the bits sticking up at the side go between the 2 sections of the ladder to hold it in place. When I got my van after that the company who do them had a silly wait time because of how busy they were so had to go with rhino. Got the one with the side parts with it. I bought 12 load stops, 6 for each ladder. Positioned them in a way I just throw the ladder up and the load stops fit tight to the ladder so it doesn't move around etc. It wouldn't work with 2 ladders on top of each other though. Has to be a single. I put a single on both sides of it.

It would be annoying having to tighten and untighten clamps all the time. I've been on the motorway etc with the current set up and it's been fine, il hopefully not find out how good they are in a crash situation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240607_231323_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240607_231323_Gallery.jpg
    985.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230129-223745_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129-223745_Samsung Internet.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 2
That's the state of my last van after an accident, the ladders didn't budge, I had this roof rack on it, the bits sticking up at the side go between the 2 sections of the ladder to hold it in place. When I got my van after that the company who do them had a silly wait time because of how busy they were so had to go with rhino. Got the one with the side parts with it. I bought 12 load stops, 6 for each ladder. Positioned them in a way I just throw the ladder up and the load stops fit tight to the ladder so it doesn't move around etc. It wouldn't work with 2 ladders on top of each other though. Has to be a single. I put a single on both sides of it.

It would be annoying having to tighten and untighten clamps all the time. I've been on the motorway etc with the current set up and it's been fine, il hopefully not find out how good they are in a crash situation.
Do they not rattle about a bit?

We always used lashing straps back in the day but they were an absolute ar5e to untie in the freezing winter months same as the metal threaded spinners although the spinners do have holes to secure via a padlock unlike lasing straps. Nowt worse than smashing your knuckles on a cold winters day. I moved to rhino clamps around 8 years ago for the ease of usability but the quality of the grip deffo doesnโ€™t seem as good as they used to be.

Back