Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What's a good set of spares to have put away ready for emergencies?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

I've got pretty much most things I need, but I have 1 spare set of hose connectors and brushes.

What spares do you all keep to one side just encase? I know it's not realistic to buy a pump and hose etc and have it sat in the shed for years just encase, but what breaks easily or often enough to have some put away for just encase?

Spare pole hose as it's thinner I find that it wears out quicker. What ever connectors you are using and appropriate clips - 2 sets - so even when you replace 1 you still have a spare until the new spare arrives. Spare jets and the small hose and tee piece.
In the future a spare pump and controller is handy. My van system is setup as a 2 man system (2 pumps and controllers, 1 hose reel - spare at home) even though it's only me that would ever use it. It will take time and money to build up spares but when you upgrade stuff keep the older ones as spares (I bought an electric reel in Nov, so old one is in garage just in case).

Also make sure you have the tools needed to change any connectors or tighten stuff - plus some gaffer tape, ptfe, electrical tape, cable ties, that sort of stuff so you don't have to go home to fix a connector.

Spare poles/sections,brushes,connectors,univalves,pole hose and even a spare reel and 100m microbore..

I also have a backpack,fold away trolley and 4 barrels to use in an emergency

Pumps/controllers can be ordered and be at my front door within a day or 2 so not got them lying around.

Superglue. Great for temporarily repairing hoses. Hose bursts. Turn off flow, put pole and brush head on ground, place hose over back door so damage high up.

Dry off hose damage point with old dry towel and blow on it. Bend hose to open hole slightly. Put superglue in pinhole or 'nick', let it spread on to outside of hose a little, stop bending hose and let hose reform its natural state so hole presses shut. Wrap a bit of insulation tape around the repair.

Wait ten minutes and pressure up. Works 9 times out of 10.

Doesn't work? Cut hose, use a hose joiner with superglue spread around the outside and press cut ends together. Put superglue on outside of join and wrap with insulation tape.

I have temporary repairs still going strong after 6 months. ?

Back