Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Whats the longest pole - 90ft Job

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I can’t believe the negativity on this forum when it comes to working at real height. This is a window cleaning forum right? You gotta love the lads that think that using their 35’/40’ pole is high level window cleaning and wouldn’t touch anything higher with a barge pole as it’s too dangerous. I mean come on, we used to ladder that sort of stuff not so long ago. I say if you haven’t got a clue what your talking about and have never had any experience at doing certain aspects of our job then it’s best not to comment.
High level window cleaning at 40’ [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23], that really makes me laugh.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I can’t believe the negativity on this forum when it comes to working at real height. This is a window cleaning forum right? You gotta love the lads that think that using their 35’/40’ pole is high level window cleaning and wouldn’t touch anything higher with a barge pole as it’s too dangerous. I mean come on, we used to ladder that sort of stuff not so long ago. I say if you haven’t got a clue what your talking about and have never had any experience at doing certain aspects of our job then it’s best not to comment.
High level window cleaning at 40’
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
, that really makes me laugh.

I didn't want to say anything ?? but spot on Dave 

I’m sorry if that’s the impression you guys got. Lets be straight. you “asked” if it can be done safely. I Wasn’t trying to come across as negative, just to say that i didn’t like the sound of it. I didn’t state that 35/40 was high level, i just mentioned that in certain conditions it can be uncomfortable, so anything above the impacts would obviously affect things more. Yes people used to ladder that sort of stuff, and people also died. Judging by some of the accidents and misfortunes people have had on here, i felt it may be appreciated that people give any sort of input, be it from common sense or an experienced point of view.
If mine was neither then i do apologize and obviously should have left it to the big dogs.
I don’t want to see anybody get hurt, or have a mishap, it’s not what any of us need but hey ho

I didn't want to say anything [emoji23][emoji23] but spot on Dave 
I have re-read each comment and saw no signs of negativity, maybe a lack of ego massaging [emoji848]

You have come on and asked a question that you already had the answer to before posting. [emoji849]

County Durham Lad

emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

The original post was a question about poling 90' in the air, a quick internet check could've told them that you can't buy a pole to clean that high. My reply was purely advisory on the basis that if he didn't know that then it appeared the job was out of his realms. What disturbs me even more, after reading future comments, is that he is allowed to quote on a very dangerous job without having to submit any Method Statement prior to quoting. Fairly certain there are people breaking laws where that is concerned. The fact you have experience at working at heights is good for you but people doing it with no experience, or knowledge on how to do it, is dangerous. 

It isn't like someone that has used a 25' pole who all of a sudden is going to get a 60' pole, this is a job where someone would have to go up at least 60' in a MWP to pole the last 30', and that on it's own is dangerous for a skilled operative let alone a novice. I wonder if the original poster is actually going to go up and do the job or send one of his employees up to do it.

The original post was a question about poling 90' in the air, a quick internet check could've told them that you can't buy a pole to clean that high. My reply was purely advisory on the basis that if he didn't know that then it appeared the job was out of his realms. What disturbs me even more, after reading future comments, is that he is allowed to quote on a very dangerous job without having to submit any Method Statement prior to quoting. Fairly certain there are people breaking laws where that is concerned. The fact you have experience at working at heights is good for you but people doing it with no experience, or knowledge on how to do it, is dangerous. 
It isn't like someone that has used a 25' pole who all of a sudden is going to get a 60' pole, this is a job where someone would have to go up at least 60' in a MWP to pole the last 30', and that on it's own is dangerous for a skilled operative let alone a novice. I wonder if the original poster is actually going to go up and do the job or send one of his employees up to do it.
Yes you can. This app won’t let me put a screen shot up but it’s out there. Have a look on J Racensteins site.

I have re-read each comment and saw no signs of negativity, maybe a lack of ego massaging [emoji848]

You have come on and asked a question that you already had the answer to before posting. [emoji849]

County Durham Lad
Maybe not too much of it in this post but I remember a very similar post from around six months ago asking about high level wfp cleaning and the negativity was unreal. I do appreciate the safety aspects everyone bangs on about but it just seems a lot are scared of the unknown and just because they don’t want to have a go at somethin then it’s wrong and no body else should. I must admit though that I’ve never gone higher than 80’ with a pole. Maybe a little higher in a lift and anything higher than that my boss would have done out of a cradle or on the ropes. It all depends on access issues and what equipment is available at the time on certain sites.

Makes me laugh when people come on here having been asked to quote commercial work that they don't know how to do or price.

Nearly every post regarding commercial is how much or getting strangers to price it or reassure them on the   price because they don't know what there doing.

Makes you wonder how people priced up jobs and worked out the methods with out the internet.

Just how clean can you get a window that's 90' up? Not that clean I'd imagine. I went into town a while back and these window cleaners had just finished an office block. Top floor was about 50' up ground floor above the shops was 20' up. When I'd finished my shopping I decided to see how the job had dried. ??? what a mess, spotting and runs everywhere.

@Dave Shaw, you're being a d1ck mate.

emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

Very well said i quite agree get experience at 30-45 feet then gradually progress to 60-75 that’s what we did we now have several jobs at this height and don’t think anything of doing that height , yes you do have to be more careful but that’s the same with any job where you start pushing the boundaries , but it would be foolish to go from doing 2 storey houses to 6-7 storeys in one jump 

Some very wise wise words here , we have a very large hotel that we have cleaned for over 6 years it’s 7 storey in parts and one of 5 hotels in a chain I have never been asked for rams or any proof of insurance, they also have there own health and safety officer in there company who when I quoted for the job didn’t ask a single question of how we would do the job to protect members of the public or his staff from any potential accidents or for our own safety , strange but true , Sadly  I suspect this isn’t an isolated incident , then you have other companies going over the top with the way they expect you to go about the job 

Some very wise wise words here , we have a very large hotel that we have cleaned for over 6 years it’s 7 storey in parts and one of 5 hotels in a chain I have never been asked for rams or any proof of insurance, they also have there own health and safety officer in there company who when I quoted for the job didn’t ask a single question of how we would do the job to protect members of the public or his staff from any potential accidents or for our own safety , strange but true , Sadly  I suspect this isn’t an isolated incident , then you have other companies going over the top with the way they expect you to go about the job 
They have a legal requirement called duty of care. You then have jobs worth who are a PITA. Happy medium somewhere 

Just how clean can you get a window that's 90' up? Not that clean I'd imagine. I went into town a while back and these window cleaners had just finished an office block. Top floor was about 50' up ground floor above the shops was 20' up. When I'd finished my shopping I decided to see how the job had dried. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] what a mess, spotting and runs everywhere.

[mention=4847]Dave Shaw[/mention], you're being a d1ck mate.

Maybe, but if that’s what it takes to get my point across. Obviously from your reply you have never done that sort of work and until you have you can’t really comment can you?

I used to do a job that had its own on site h+s officer. He was a real pain. I know he was only doin his job but I’m sure he used to make stuff up to make it look like he was doin somethin. He even wanted us to wear a hard hat with a visor( like a fireman’s helmet)just incase one of the metal sills we was workin on fell off[emoji23][emoji23]

I’m sorry if that’s the impression you guys got. Lets be straight. you “asked” if it can be done safely. I Wasn’t trying to come across as negative, just to say that i didn’t like the sound of it. I didn’t state that 35/40 was high level, i just mentioned that in certain conditions it can be uncomfortable, so anything above the impacts would obviously affect things more. Yes people used to ladder that sort of stuff, and people also died. Judging by some of the accidents and misfortunes people have had on here, i felt it may be appreciated that people give any sort of input, be it from common sense or an experienced point of view.
If mine was neither then i do apologize and obviously should have left it to the big dogs.
I don’t want to see anybody get hurt, or have a mishap, it’s not what any of us need but hey ho

I certainly wasn’t aiming directly at you pal and I know your just lookin out for others. I do come across a bit harsh sometimes though.

Back