Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Where to buy axeon 10" membranes or similar.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi, now Gardiner's have discontinued their membranes, where is the best place to buy quality 10" membranes? (>97%)

Thanks.

Ps. I was looking at the cheap vontron ones on sale on eBay and on wintecs.co.uk. They do a 100gpd that only takes it down to 94% but they also make a 75gpd that has a permeate of 97.5%. At £12 each are they obviously won't last as long as an Axeon but will they actually operate at 97% as advertised?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I always do is google the manufacturer and check the specification and what you often find what is advertised is not the specification. Membrane sheeting is key as only two major companies have the technology. They will state they buy yyy sheeting but in fact they do not. Vontron did not have the technology last time I looked.

What I always do is google the manufacturer and check the specification and what you often find what is advertised is not the specification. Membrane sheeting is key as only two major companies have the technology. They will state they buy yyy sheeting but in fact they do not. Vontron did not have the technology last time I looked.
Axeon and which other Doug? Guess, Dow Filmtec?

Hi, now Gardiner's have discontinued their membranes, where is the best place to buy quality 10" membranes? (>97%)

Thanks.

Ps. I was looking at the cheap vontron ones on sale on eBay and on wintecs.co.uk. They do a 100gpd that only takes it down to 94% but they also make a 75gpd that has a permeate of 97.5%. At £12 each are they obviously won't last as long as an Axeon but will they actually operate at 97% as advertised?

I buy my membranes from Dougs place Daqua.co.uk. They’re Aexon and have been spot on for me. 98% rejection rate!

What I always do is google the manufacturer and check the specification and what you often find what is advertised is not the specification.
On Wintecs they don't give any info but on the eBay listing it says 95%. Looking at the manufacturers pdf it is actually 94% so you're right!

I still don't understand how the 50 and 70 gpd vontron membranes are 97.5% on the spec sheet but the 100 gpd one is 94%. Is the 97.5% likely to be just theoretical and in practice lower?

What membrane do you have as your flow restrictive will match the membrane. If you change the membrane then you have to change the flow restrictor

What membrane do you have as your flow restrictive will match the membrane. If you change the membrane then you have to change the flow restrictor
I bought the last set of membranes 5 years ago. Can't remember from where, just that they were about £35 each and 100gpd. The Ro I have is a 300gpd system from RO-Man bought 12 years ago and has a flow restrictor with 550 on it.

The first RoMan r/o we had, had 75gpd membranes. When I had to replace them RoMan recommended I go for 150gpd membranes as that would double production. I did that. They supplied the restrictor as well.

50 gpd membranes are a waste of time for window cleaners; you will never have enough water.

excuse my ignorance but what's a flow restrictor?

I've got a 450gpd from collinswater and I don't think it's got one, should it?

I only use 800lts a week and my membrane form daqua is 14 months old and my tds is 330 in and 30 out so needs changing already!!!

I also use prefilters from collinswater and change them every three months as he told me to.

excuse my ignorance but what's a flow restrictor?

I've got a 450gpd from collinswater and I don't think it's got one, should it?

I only use 800lts a week and my membrane form daqua is 14 months old and my tds is 330 in and 30 out so needs changing already!!!

I also use prefilters from collinswater and change them every three months as he told me to.

The flow restrictor is a gadget that regulates the amount of waste water going to the drain during water production. The one we had was a preset restrictor that let 3 liters of water to waste whilst the r/o produced 1 liter.

What is your pure to waste ratio when you are producing water? What is the service life of your carbon filters you buy from Collins? In other words, how many liters will they remove the chlorine from before they are spent?

Hi Spruce,

I guess I've got a kind of flow restrictor, Collins call it the flush valve, I open it to flush the prefilters before production,

2018-08-22 14.10.20.jpg

I leave it half open to restict the flow to make the membrane last longer, is this right?

If I leave it fully open I get one litre waste to one good but the membrane goes downhill fast so I leave it half open which is a bit hit and miss as its a small lever as you can see.

I get around one good to three waste this way.

Collins said the prefilters are good for about 11,500 litres.

just been searching the web, collins are very cheap compared to every where else, but no one says how many litres they're good for.

Obviously it depends upon your water quality, I did tell collins my water is 330 and he calculated the life of the prefilters taking that into account.

Hi Spruce,

I guess I've got a kind of flow restrictor, Collins call it the flush valve, I open it to flush the prefilters before production,

View attachment 14605

Some suppliers use a tap and its left to the users to 'calibrate' it.

I can't find a service life for the filters they sell. They are cheap and usually cheap and quality aren't two words that combine well in the same sentence. (We've only used Fiberdyne for many years now.) You need the carbon filter to remove chlorine from the water before it goes to the membrane/s. Chlorine destroys membrane material. Water hardness (330 ppm) and chlorine content in the water are two different things. Your carbon block removes chlorine so protects the membrane/s. Your membrane/s removes the hardness fro  the water.

Its only been recently that Collins water have woken up to the fact that they can sell their product to a wider range of customers called window cleaners. Their product is cheap because it originates from China but IMHO doesn't meet the needs of window cleaners who use volumes of water. This is particularily so with regard to their membranes. Years ago we purchased carbon block filters (before Collins existed) from a company and they only had a service life of 10,000.

For us we used around 600 liters on average a day so the amount of water that c/b filter processed was 2400 liters. So I would have to change the c/b filter every 4 days to keep on top of the service life of the filter. If you have half the amount of chlorine in your water the calculation is based on then you need to change your c/b every 8/9 days.

Once the filter's service life is reached the filter no longer removes chlorine from the water and hence it heads into the membrane material slowly eating it away. So changing the c/b filter every 3 to 4 months wouldn't be the correct advise.

yet again I'm confused Spruce!!

So which prefilters should I use and how do I know when they've stopped working.

I realise my membrane should be lasting longer so i guess the prefilters are the reason, is there a calculation for working out how long other prefilters last?

So which prefilters should I use and how do I know when they've stopped working.

I realise my membrane should be lasting longer so i guess the prefilters are the reason, is there a calculation for working out how long other prefilters last?
We have our r/o on a water meter that counts down the number of liters used. When it get to zero an alarm sounds. We change the filters and reset the alarm.

We use 20" fiberdyne filters which are good for chlorine removal/reduction of 76,000 liters, both pure and waste.

The 10" ones have a service life of 38,000 liters. We use 1 sediment and 1 Fiberdyne filter

We have our r/o on a water meter that counts down the number of liters used. When it get to zero an alarm sounds. We change the filters and reset the alarm.

We use 20" fiberdyne filters which are good for chlorine removal/reduction of 76,000 liters, both pure and waste.

The 10" ones have a service life of 38,000 liters. We use 1 sediment and 1 Fiberdyne filter
You and I The same  ro system Trevor, and I changed my prefilters for the 1 fiberdyne filter, I still have the original Ro membranes and the tds is 400 in 10 out, had those membranes 2 years. 11L DI only lasting about 6 weeks though, I use about 600l a week...

Thanks guys.

where do you get the fibredyne filter from?

Also can you guys clarify if I need just the fibredyne like dragbag or a fibredyne and a sediment like Spruce.

As I've got three vessels where do the filter / filters go?

Is the service life of 38,000 litres including both good and waste?

Can you get inline devices to measure water used? if so again where from?

Thanks guys.

Also can you guys clarify if I need just the fibredyne like dragbag or a fibredyne and a sediment like Spruce.

Got mine from

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/water-treatment/sediment-carbon-filters/fibredyne-cfb-plus-sediment-carbon-pre-filter-10.html

And yes the service life is pure and waste, I didn't get a sediment filter as the water here in Herts seems to be ok.

but there a few £ so  may get one next time if it looks clogged up next time I change it...

as for the inline thing,, that's a good idea. Im sure I'v seen something on line...

Thanks guys.

Grippa tank or GAPS Water

First is sediment then second is Fiberdyne carbon block. At one time we used the third housing as a small di vessel but it was a waste of time - far too small. If you have a separate di vessel leave the first housing empty at the inlet, sediment in the second housing, Fiberdyne in the third housing and then off to the membranes.

Gardiners have them on special atm.

Run both your pure and waste into a container for a minute to see how much water your r/o uses. One of the ones Gardiner sell needs 1.5 lpm to work. If memory serves me Vyair do or did units for smaller pipe so maybe theirs will measure lower flows, I don't know.

Service life is both pure and waste together.

Back