Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which Gutter camera and monitor

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi Pjj
I bought the GCS 40ft CF pole set up with a gutter hook attachment but with the turf having knitted itself around internal crossbeams it wouldn't shift. I didn't think to wet it though. When I got up on the ladder in one roof corner there was a sturdy growth of turf on the roof (Lead Flashing above Bay Window part) above the turf filled guttering which I had to manhandle off with some force. It was well rooted into the down pipe also. That's where I stopped work on the job as I was well and truly cream crackered around 4.30pm. I've got 80% of the house cleaned out to a good standard. Back next Friday to get stuck in again. I'll take photos of the house etc and post it here. 
Sounds like one of those nightmare jobs we all get occasionally.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi Pjj

I bought the GCS 40ft CF pole set up with a gutter hook attachment but with the turf having knitted itself around internal crossbeams it wouldn't shift. I didn't think to wet it though. When I got up on the ladder in one roof corner there was a sturdy growth of turf on the roof (Lead Flashing above Bay Window part) above the turf filled guttering which I had to manhandle off with some force. It was well rooted into the down pipe also. That's where I stopped work on the job as I was well and truly cream crackered around 4.30pm. I've got 80% of the house cleaned out to a good standard. Back next Friday to get stuck in again. I'll take photos of the house etc and post it here. 
You will get these jobs where only getting the ladders up will enable you to do the job. This is why I disagree when I hear people saying they charge £5 a metre. I always look in first and jobs like this I would charge more than that. Those with less in I charge on an hourly basis, minimum £50. 

Someone earlier mentioned a "ladder hands free limb device" and I had never heard of it. looked it up and something I have always needed and will be getting one or two. Handy for holding a bucket when up cleaning gutters. Although I have my focus on a 3600 watt vac I may never need it but handy to have. Wish I came across it years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CBUO6QQ/ref=asc_df_B00CBUO6QQ55919768/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B00CBUO6QQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232020729251&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14429642747630167659&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007301&hvtargid=pla-355104880954

Bought a couple of the above for £15 each and then bought something I have always needed but never saw them till today. 6 pack of 160mm Large Carabiners which I used in fire service for line rescue. Very handy to have in the van and hand out to friends, link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LARGE-HARDWARE-Carabiner-SCREW-Working/dp/B01MEG3CF6/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=MFMX0296RZ99YJD2S1R3 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Pjj

Some jobs there is no choise but to use acces equipment the one in the pictures I put up was difficult as it was growing up the roof and had gone under the roof tiles but we did it without ladders and there was no access for a cherry picker either it’s surprising what you can accomplish from the ground with the right kit but as @Part Timer said you cannot have a standard charge any job like that needs to be bespoke prices allowing for worst case scenario, I allowed all day for those two houses and priced it accordingly but we had finished by lunch time so we were quids in , a friend of mine has a saying “ if it were easy everyone would be doing it “ if you can supply a service that others cannot then you can charge a premium for it 

Ive got the downspout clearer from gutter cleaning systems? Basically a cordless drill with about 2ft of springy metal. Its a good tool for drilling into downspout.  It would also probably be good to get into tight spaces to break up muck, which could tben be flushed to a bit that could be vac'd.  

It is supposed to be used to get turf out, but i wouldnt use it on slate roof, as if it thrashes the turf about, think there would be a high risk of breaking the tiles. Thus killing yourself or others if working in a busy place.

The tool is quite expensive n looks naff, but would say its alright as well.

Hi THL4KEL
It was dry vac. It was a dry day and the gutters were fairly dry with little water in the vacuum. It was my first job with a 2400 Watt twin motor Numatic 32 Litre which kept blocking. I hacksawed the plastic end off inside the drum and sorted the blockage. The connection between my hose and poles wasn't good and I've sorted that now. The transoms that run across the inside of the gutter every 18-24 inches are a royal pain in the derriere. Should I flood the gutters? I'll need to get or make better Pole tools for breaking or cutting turf. If you can advise any I'd be grateful.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Brian I don't really use a specific cutting tool to get it out. I soak it and then vac from either side of the turf and basically tugg and pull it out. Sometimes I'm lucky and it comes in one piece other times I have to just take out 50mm at a time.. I'm going to switch from cold water to hot water because I think hot water will lossen it up faster.

He's a new regular on my window cleaning round. I charge £30 each time for the windows and it takes me an hour with the WFP; so I'm going easy on him. I'll sort out the gutters this time; some of the screws holding the guttering to the soffit board are coming away in the back of the house; I'll replace them and generally make myself his GoTo Guy for all his outdoor cleaning and light maintenance and book him as a regular yearly clean out from now on. The whole place needs a good going over as he's a busy Farmer/Electrician with plenty of money and no spare time. I'll post photos of the whole house with all the windows etc and ask everyone what sort of money I should be charging for the work. I live in Northern Ireland and we are meaner than the Scots...Lol 

Hi @THL4KEL  Thanks for getting back to me. I'll get more experience as I get more work. I have a 350L WFP set up so I can soak or wait for a rainy spell and schedule the work around that. I'm using a 2400 Twin Motor Numatic (32 Litre Capacity) Vacuum which is well powerful enough. Getting a good camera set up as @mufcglen asked in this thread would help too. Do you use a camera? 

Hi @THL4KEL  Thanks for getting back to me. I'll get more experience as I get more work. I have a 350L WFP set up so I can soak or wait for a rainy spell and schedule the work around that. I'm using a 2400 Twin Motor Numatic (32 Litre Capacity) Vacuum which is well powerful enough. Getting a good camera set up as @mufcglen asked in this thread would help too. Do you use a camera? 
Yeah mate I have one don't always use it. LG 360 degree cam. Don't really need it for most jobs in pretty thorough with the vac, it's very powerful what I use. 

Sky Vac Industrial is rated at 8000 lpm waterlift what I use is just over 10000 lpm so nothing stands in its way, or hasn't to date.

Hi @THL4KEL I'm driving a Vauxhall Combo with the 350L WFP set up. And there's just enough room for the Numatic Vac between the seats and the water tank. That's why I started with it. The Sky Vac Industrial is a beast; size wise, power wise & money wise. I'll get to it when I prove out my methods, earn some dosh and get a bigger van down the road. How long are you established in business now? Are you getting customer call backs for gutters? Did you buy the Sky Vac complete set up? I see they have a Dirt Breaker; I need something like that. 

Hi @THL4KEL I'm driving a Vauxhall Combo with the 350L WFP set up. And there's just enough room for the Numatic Vac between the seats and the water tank. That's why I started with it. The Sky Vac Industrial is a beast; size wise, power wise & money wise. I'll get to it when I prove out my methods, earn some dosh and get a bigger van down the road. How long are you established in business now? Are you getting customer call backs for gutters? Did you buy the Sky Vac complete set up? I see they have a Dirt Breaker; I need something like that. 
I don't have the sky vac what I have is more powerful. Elsea Titanus. Yeah I have customers who I service three times a year for gutters. I drive a Citroen Nemo. I can get the gutter vac, gx390 pressure washer, and about 150 litres water in it. I used to have a tank but it's better for me using 25litre containers and either use pure freedom trolley or gardiner back pack. Small vans are handy for resendential. Can still get 400 litres in it for commercial jobs if I need too. Wouldn't mind getting a Ford Transist Connect lwb bit more space. 

Yeah, @THL4KEL the Transit Connect is the ideal smaller van size for getting all the gear into the van. The Nemo is easy run though. Getting back to the Gutter Vac, do you recommend any specific attachments for the likes of narrow gaps and coping with the cross members inside the gutters? 

What I have in my gutter bag is a selection of different head fittings that slot into the end of the pole. Just pipes that fit into smaller crevices I.e down the down pipe. You can just buy a waste pipe from b and q and make it yourself.

Sometimes the roof tiles overhang the gutter that much you couldn't get your fingers in there let alone a vac attachment. Then I just get waterfed pole and connect to water tap and try blast it out, to a point where you can suck it out with he vac.

I don't use the pressure washer for a couple of reasons - its too powerful, it could blow a lot of the dirt up and under the roof tile, could in the winter wet internal  roof timbers.

Latest Posts

Back