Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Who's taking the second SEISS grant?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

it says when you apply...have you been ADVERSELY effected....so if you say yes when in reality you havent(remember hmrc look at yearly totals not monthly on tax return) you may find yourself in a spot of bother and with unwanted attention from hmrc down the line
No different to some of the big companies who didn't really have to furlough staff a multi-million pound factory down the road from me kept all there floor staff working then only furloughed them once they were getting bailed out then just did a 15 working day rotation for all staff and now has them all back to work and has done for 2-3 weeks , As @Part Timer said some businesses should have been excluded couriers are working flat out they are saying it's like the xmas period and has been since March, Royal Mail sacked a boss last week because letters are down yet now 90% of what they deliver is parcels

someone losing 2k of work can be far more adversely affected than someone else losing 2k of work because of there own circumstances, HMRC can't define how someone is affected compared to someone else or their business, they would have to investigate every business on case by case basis, people can be affected in one fail swoop or have ongoing losses for a variety of reasons. 

I wasn't gonna claim as only lost around £145 month but as my wife can't work and wasn't eligible as employed last year as well. Now I feel bad as don't feel deserve big amount I did web chat HMRC twice to say it's too much would rather small amount say £750 instead of big amount but they said that is just the way it is. 

I did web chat HMRC twice to say it's too much would rather small amount say £750 instead of big amount but they said that is just the way it is. 
That's a weight of my shoulders I won't feel so guilty spending some of my grant on extra beers this weekend ?

I wasn't gonna claim as only lost around £145 month but as my wife can't work and wasn't eligible as employed last year as well. Now I feel bad as don't feel deserve big amount I did web chat HMRC twice to say it's too much would rather small amount say £750 instead of big amount but they said that is just the way it is. 
I have thought all along they had to do this to keep it in line with the furlough schemes offered to the emploed. There are hundreds of thousands of employed people taking 80% of there normal wage whilst off work and then working full time in another short term job which they are allowed to do. Also it's cheaper to pay out an average. Some dip in some dip out but imagine the cost of an investigator looking at 2.5 million plus self emploed grant claims to work out exactly what everyone lost

Interesting read thanks. I have lost some work having five weeks off but caught up in May just about so back on track with work, but did lose quite a bit of business over the two months so far. We are well cared for as self employed folk especially if you are 100 percent honest in doing your accounts over the last few years compared to many countries around the world where self employed folk are in a bad way.  Stay safe and enjoy!

Both me  and my wife have received an invite to apply for the second and final tranche of the grant.

My wife's a Dog Walker and has hardly worked since March so took the first payment and she's only got about 20% of her customers at the moment as they are either teachers or on furlough, things should start picking up for her next month. She's took quite a big hit so will be taking the second grant.

My own circumstances are I'm probably down about £100 per month on some commercial. I'm still debating on taking the grant as I think the commercial will be back in October when furlough ends.

My accountant says take the money as we don't know what the coming months will bring with mass redundancies etc.

I'm still in two minds so I think I'll hold back until October and decide before the scheme ends.

What will you guys be doing?

I’m still in 2 minds. I’m prob down about £150 a month to what I was pre COVID. I guess I should claim. I’ve had an email from the government saying I should be eligible if my ive been adversely affected. What that mean? Is £150 an appropriate amount to be considered adverse?

I’m still in 2 minds. I’m prob down about £150 a month to what I was pre COVID. I guess I should claim. I’ve had an email from the government saying I should be eligible if my ive been adversely affected. What that mean? Is £150 an appropriate amount to be considered adverse?
That works out at about £2k loss in a year, for some people thats over a months wages, I'd say thats adversely affected...

Both me and my son are, he's already got approval for his and I can apply on the 21st. I have 3 emails from customers that have said due to the current situation they are either cancelling, postponing or changing to 2 monthly, from monthly. I also have invoice proof that other regulars are not as regular. As far as I'm concerned that entitles me to claim.

I’m earning more than I did last year so wasn’t going to apply. However, I’m still losing customers who have lost their jobs.

My concern is if the **** really hits the van after the furlough scheme ends -as most people are expecting- I could lose a lot of customers. I was expecting something around 20%. However, we won’t know the outcome of that until after the deadline for applications passes.

Unfortunately, my powers of divination are non existent. 

Both me  and my wife have received an invite to apply for the second and final tranche of the grant.

My wife's a Dog Walker and has hardly worked since March so took the first payment and she's only got about 20% of her customers at the moment as they are either teachers or on furlough, things should start picking up for her next month. She's took quite a big hit so will be taking the second grant.

My own circumstances are I'm probably down about £100 per month on some commercial. I'm still debating on taking the grant as I think the commercial will be back in October when furlough ends.

My accountant says take the money as we don't know what the coming months will bring with mass redundancies etc.

I'm still in two minds so I think I'll hold back until October and decide before the scheme ends.

What will you guys be doing?
I was thinking like that with the first one until @Part Timerand others pointed out I would be paying payingk through tax and ni increases anyway so stupid not to claim it.

basically if you were eligible for the first one and still suffering no matter how slightly you are still adversely affected and should claim.

I ain't down in income so haven't been effected by covid through the second period and that's what question is asked, I think @dmw's wife is the perfect example for been effected by covid as her business is down by 80%, 

Yes it may all go Pete Tong later this year but I have my money in the bank for January tax bill, so I'll ride out the storm come next year when you submit your tax return I reckon that's when they will start looking into businesses and start possible investigations, been down a £150 a month in earnings won't qualify as been adversely effected. 

I was thinking like that with the first one until @Part Timerand others pointed out I would be paying payingk through tax and ni increases anyway so stupid not to claim it.
All I would say on this one is if you do claim don't spend it like @mike007 did his first  on a new electric garage door, and put it to one side as I believe a lot of people will be investigated and made to prove you were entitled to it.

All I would say on this one is if you do claim don't spend it like @mike007 did his first  on a new electric garage door, and put it to one side as I believe a lot of people will be investigated and made to prove you were entitled to it.
Ah that was me with the garage doors. It was tongue in cheek. I was gonna buy them anyway. It just happened to happen at the same time as the first payment was made. 

I just cant justify it to myself this 2nd one. Im only a couple of customers still down through it ( jobs where they are frail/ill and where I need to walk through the house to the back) But, have picked up plenty since this, so im not down. 

Adversely affected is all it says.

Whether a grand or a quid it's Adversely affected. 

It isn't stated you need to prove a certain amount or anything.

Just take it and carry on working.

We have all lost a few customers so all could do with a top up.

I need an apology...I did not post anything about electric garage doors!!!! was another members post as to what he was going to use the grant for I believe.

I am wondering if I can apply. It’s a bit unclear to what extent. I’ve lost about 6 customers and two today whom are ending. Did not say but it’s deffo covid related. I only clean outside on the factory I clean for, plus I was not walking through houses only fronts on some. I’ve not been able to build like hoped and planned either. I’m down money wise a bit but long ok. Everyone I speak to is applying for it but saying busy, something just not sitting right with me in regards am I eligible and feeling clear about it. 
I do fear if it gets worse when furlough stops and I’m starting to get customers saying they can not have the cleaning.  

Latest Posts

Back