will i need to invest in wfp

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by mjd, Apr 21, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. mjd

mjd Newcomer

Hi all, i am just starting out on my own and have been reading the rules and regulations i.e hight restriction. I am a traditional window cleaner and believe that it is the best way but am not sure if its the way forward. I would appreciate some guidence or tips from some of you more experienced smudgers....thanks

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

If you are self employed then its your choice. But if you are employing someone then you would have to go the WFP route, because if they come off the ladder they could sue you for putting them on it in the first place. As an employer you have to take reasonable steps to ensure your employees safety. If you are subcontracting then its not an issue as they are effectively self employed. Thats my understanding of it.

3. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Start trad and see how you get on. My pet hate is people just starting up and going WFP straight away. You need to be able to mop and blade competently to call yourself a window cleaner IMO.

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

But at the same time don't put yourself at unnecessary risks when using ladders when working on your own if alternative safer methods are available like using a trad pole instead.

5. cheapncheerful

hi and welcome to the forum...mjd...i only trad at the mo but looking very much at wfp and believe you should be capable of both to be a success...the cheapest start up is of course trad but you cant fall off a ladder working on the ground:) good luck anyway and keep us informed of your progress..

6. norm

norm Grand Master

hi welcome mjd

7. mjd

mjd Newcomer

Thanks for your reply.
    Have been trad with my dad for 8 yrs and would rather stay that way on my own round too but the way things are going i fear i may have to look into wfp if i want to keep up with the times. What are ur reasons for looking at it?

8. cheapncheerful

for a start the dodgy windows....you know the ones that are hard to reach....mr smurf was not impressed with my walking up conservatory roofs and he is right...
    and speed....although i don't know whether there is much in that as trad can be quite fast...i really have in mind certain jobs where i reckon i could go faster on wfp...i am hoping to be a hybrid windy as in a bit of both....
    i only intend to do a trolly/backpack route at first....er so far all i have is my tds meter....well bit by bit....:)

9. Smurf

Smurf Banned

For me I wanted to turn up at any job and say yes I can do that even on the most awkward jobs that could not be done by ladders safely. In doing so the potential to earn more was increased fourfold and the obvious to reduce ladder usage as much as possible was also a deciding factor.
    There are pros & cons for both methods but wfp wins hands down for me but trad still has its place for certain jobs.

10. mjd

mjd Newcomer

What do custys prefer? I must admit i do putalot of faith in gutters! Not sure about conservatory roofs tho lol what do you thinkis more efficient?

Advertisement