Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Will using an SLX 18 speed up my work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@Davy G I’ve used the swivel now on the old CLX for around 3 months and completely agree. Also for working with that size pole in tight areas it’s allowed me to actually reach them areas where without it I’d be struggling! Is the extreme sill brush a good all rounder? I do a mixture of windows including leaded so it needs to not cause any damage to them! I only use pencil jets and my pump is a backpack trolley set up I’ve put together.  Do they perform well? 

View attachment 19326
I had my doubts when I first tried the extreme sill brush and in fact I aired them on the forum. My initial doubts were mainly because I thought it could do with more bristles. On teaming it up with the swivel, I found it to be a delight to use once I got used to it after a couple of days and it has enough bristles. I use it for all my maintenance washes and most of my first washes. Unless they are really bad in which case I use a medium mixed sill brush, which I also use for gfs and conservatory roofs. I use both brush types on all my work. With leaded windows, a very careful, light touch, just tickling the the glass and the lead. My son and I only use these two types of brush. Don't see the need for several types. Oh, and 100 degree fan jets all the way. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my doubts when I first tried the extreme sill brush and in fact I aired them on the forum. My initial doubts were mainly because I thought it could do with more bristles. On teaming it up with the swivel, I found it to be a delight to use once I got used to it after a couple of days and it has enough bristles. I use it for all my maintenance washes and most of my first washes. Unless they are really bad in which case I use a medium mixed sill brush, which I also use for gfs and conservatory roofs. I use both brush types on all my work. With leaded windows, a very careful, light touch, just tickling the the glass and the lead. My son and I only use these two types of brush. Don't see the need for several types. Oh, and 100 degree fan jets all the way. ?
Really appreciate the time, advice and detail Dave, thank you. I’ll be looking at the extreme brushes with the fan jets  

Really appreciate the time, advice and detail Dave, thank you. I’ll be looking at the extreme brushes with the fan jets  
You're very welcome, kid. A lot of people say they don't like the 100 degree fan jets but my son and I swear by them. Keep the brush on, or very close to the glass is the key. That allows the water to flush the dirt down without splashback. We're convinced they are sparing and efficient on water usage as well and quick to work with.

We do a day of approx 30 house and 25 of them are leaded using a flock brush makes the day so much easier when doing that amount of leaded windows much nicer cleaning experience. 

We do a day of approx 30 house and 25 of them are leaded using a flock brush makes the day so much easier when doing that amount of leaded windows much nicer cleaning experience. 
Wow. Are they all condensed? As it stands I only have 30 customers all together. It’s all grown organically, word of mouth and referrals but I need to start getting more closer together as the driving in between all adds time onto my day. 

I use an slx 18 mainly with the 350mm tapertec brush with 4 jets. Can't wait for the new extreme 350mm stiff to come out.
Do you use the warm water with the stiff brush?  Im thinking of getting a 35cm brush with 4 1.4pencil jets. I’m running it from a Gardiner backpack though so hopefully it gives enough pressure at the brush head 

The 22 is surprisingly long. Defo reach more than you think you will with it at full tilt.
Thanks for that mate. Using a CLX 27 all day is leaving me aching sometimes. And the bottom section in knackered now. 

I also have the medium Tapertec brush with four 1.4mm pencil jets and good for saving water. I use a tank so the amount of water doesn't play a part now but maybe in the future. If i was using a backpack then i may stick to 2 100% fan jets and a 260mm brush. fwiw 

Wow. Are they all condensed? As it stands I only have 30 customers all together. It’s all grown organically, word of mouth and referrals but I need to start getting more closer together as the driving in between all adds time onto my day. 
The customer concentration should come with time. I find 30 houses a day to be a busy but doable day for two fit, efficient operators working in harmony, and you would certainly be ready for your evening meal?. I wouldn’t want to be doing that number on my own, for sure. 

Good luck. ?

Yes compacted work ll in one village ?

The customer concentration should come with time. I find 30 houses a day to be a busy but doable day for two fit, efficient operators working in harmony, and you would certainly be ready for your evening meal?. I wouldn’t want to be doing that number on my own, for sure. 

Good luck. ?
Sounds a lot but when you have 5 small properties next door to each other it’s not so bad plus it doesn’t matter if I miss a few windows as We all know the ladies are a sucker for a bald man ?‍??

Sounds a lot but when you have 5 small properties next door to each other it’s not so bad plus it doesn’t matter if I miss a few windows as We all know the ladies are a sucker for a bald man ?‍??
You charmer, you!? I haven’t found the same results with my shiny bonce. Might have to ditch the bush hat. ?

it's very simple. Buy an SLX 25, that will easily reach 2nd floor windows. If you're only doing ground and first floor remove section 5 to make life easier, just buy an end cap for section 4 to protect it, only a couple of quid on the site.

it's far cheaper to buy a 25 than get an 18 and have to purchase section 5 later for higher work.

it's very simple. Buy an SLX 25, that will easily reach 2nd floor windows. If you're only doing ground and first floor remove section 5 to make life easier, just buy an end cap for section 4 to protect it, only a couple of quid on the site.

it's far cheaper to buy a 25 than get an 18 and have to purchase section 5 later for higher work.
Personally I wouldn’t dream of stripping a pole down apart from the bottom section the other lengths are not insulated, the villages where I work and live all the power to the houses enter from telegraph pole not underground be mad to take a chance just buy two different size pole as and when the funds become available. 

Received my new SLX 22 today! After starting with a second hand CLX 27 this thing is a game changer!! Smaller, lighter, rigid, easier to use! I love it. Best bit of money I’ve spent in my short time in this line of work. I got it with the 35cm ultimate medium soft with 4 1.4mm pencil jets and the brush just takes everything off in a couple of passes! A lot better than the sill brush I’ve been using for cleaning power. Feels lighter across frames and sills too. Got the univalve fitted with the hose stop prototype tested on here instead of fitting O clips on the hose and that works brilliant too. This is going to speed my work up loads. Thanks to you all for the advice! 

Received my new SLX 22 today! After starting with a second hand CLX 27 this thing is a game changer!! Smaller, lighter, rigid, easier to use! I love it. Best bit of money I’ve spent in my short time in this line of work. I got it with the 35cm ultimate medium soft with 4 1.4mm pencil jets and the brush just takes everything off in a couple of passes! A lot better than the sill brush I’ve been using for cleaning power. Feels lighter across frames and sills too. Got the univalve fitted with the hose stop prototype tested on here instead of fitting O clips on the hose and that works brilliant too. This is going to speed my work up loads. Thanks to you all for the advice! 
Well done! Enjoy your new pole. Thanks for the update. It's great to be able to follow your progress.

Rooting for you. ?

Back