Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Builders Clean - 4 x 3 bed Semi detached houses

WCF

Help Support WCF:

SPCleaning

I have just done these.

My question to you all is how long do you think it would take to remove masonry paint scats and drips/runs from the glass and frames (9 windows,upvc 2 glass panels and one patio door on each) on these four properties. They are all new build and in a row.

And how much would you charge?

I will tell you how long it took me and what I charged after I have seen your responses.

I have just done these.
My question to you all is how long do you think it would take to remove masonry paint scats and drips/runs from the glass and frames (9 windows,upvc 2 glass panels and one patio door on each) on these four properties. They are all new build and in a row.

And how much would you charge?

I will tell you how long it took me and what I charged after I have seen your responses.
Inside and out?

A pic would have been nice but sounds like a lazy hour per house so £40 per house for me so £160

(I expect me to take 25 - 35 mins per house not an hour but will still charge that anyway)

As Tuffers question - that's for external only)

I suck at blind quoting, I like to look at the place and get a feel for it. As a rough price maybe £30-£35 each?

It took me a day and half. I charged £250.

I have no idea how you can do them so fast @Green It was hard work, I must be out of practice. /emoticons/sad.png

I did roughly 40 of these inside and out recently and it took me 8 hours. I was having to work round painters too, so was cleaning after they had sanded some windows while they were on a break etc. One thing I did notice is that they all shot off home at 4pm on the dot, while I worked for as long as I could to get the job done. Bunch of skivers!

600DB6AF-1A5B-43BA-98BB-234F1C35503A_zpsi9ix807g.jpg

799A0C36-F68C-44EB-8C2E-498D789B81DD_zpsw2zerxen.jpg

So what is the technique @Tuffers ? I used a Unger 4cm scraper, and carefully went over each pane. The plastic frames were really difficult and time consuming.

Thats the first Builders Clean I have done since coming back to window cleaning.

Why don't they leave the protective film on the glass until they are finished?
Gawd knows, like were they having plaster fights on site or sumat? They were a right mess, all of them!

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is the technique @Tuffers ? I used a Unger 4cm scraper, and carefully went over each pane. The plastic frames were really difficult and time consuming.
Thats the first Builders Clean I have done since coming back to window cleaning.
These were all wooden frames, so it was just the glass only and mopping up my spills on the sills. Mop the window with one hand and have your scraper ready in the other, mop with left hand scrape with right, if you're right handed. Start at the top and mop only part of the glass at a time until you reach the bottom (if they're big windows like in my pic). Mop in different directions and look for anything that stays on the glass and doesn't move when mopping; that'll be paint etc. Keep looking at your bubbles on the glass while mopping and look closely for any non movement. Scrape in one direction only. When the you've mopped and scraped the whole pane, mop and blade a final time and you're done.

These were all wooden frames, so it was just the glass only and mopping up my spills on the sills. Mop the window with one hand and have your scraper ready in the other, mop with left hand scrape with right, if you're right handed. Start at the top and mop only part of the glass at a time until you reach the bottom (if they're big windows like in my pic). Mop in different directions and look for anything that stays on the glass and doesn't move when mopping; that'll be paint etc. Keep looking at your bubbles on the glass while mopping and look closely for any non movement. Scrape in one direction only. When the you've mopped and scraped the whole pane, mop and blade a final time and you're done.
Pretty much what I did. I always kept scraping in one direction.................I must just be sloooooooooooooooooow :sad:

Pretty much what I did. I always kept scraping in one direction.................I must just be sloooooooooooooooooow :sad:
Have you much experience at trad SP? How long did you think your job would take when you quoted it? Did it take longer than you thought? I thought I'd get mine done in about 7 hours, so I wasn't that far out.

Have you much experience at trad SP? How long did you think your job would take when you quoted it? Did it take longer than you thought? I thought I'd get mine done in about 7 hours, so I wasn't that far out.
I used to trad all the time, but not builders cleans. Only normal everyday dirt. I thought it would take about 6 hours. So yes much longer. The developer never bated an eyelid when I quoted £250, so I wondered if I had got it very wrong and had underestimated the time needed therefore, he was getting a low price.

got to be 200 per day in anyones book. i had a spell doin builders cleans and never again! after a while i learnt that there were 2 window cleaning firms on the builders books, the nancy boy guy who was doing the follow ups and easy jobs then joe soap here getting all the sh/t! nancy boy was given 1st refusal on all jobs but turning down the hard ones. So i thought fuk em , i then quoted £400 each on a line of six 4 storey new builds and that price got me struck off their books , iv wondered since how nancy boy got along on those houses

Last edited:
I was approached by the developer who lives in my village and he asked if I could help him out as he can't get hold of his normal guy.

I thought ok I'll have a look. After a day and a half of scrapping I was regretting agreeing. It's not my normal thing. I like my bigger houses and my wfp.

I generally don't do insides unless I absolutely have to lol, if I can't WFP it I ain't interested /emoticons/tongue.png

I did roughly 40 of these inside and out recently and it took me 8 hours. I was having to work round painters too, so was cleaning after they had sanded some windows while they were on a break etc. One thing I did notice is that they all shot off home at 4pm on the dot, while I worked for as long as I could to get the job done. Bunch of skivers!
600DB6AF-1A5B-43BA-98BB-234F1C35503A_zpsi9ix807g.jpg

799A0C36-F68C-44EB-8C2E-498D789B81DD_zpsw2zerxen.jpg
Nice n shiny tuffers

Latest Posts

Back