Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

work trousers, worth it?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Had my Lollipopman outfit on today, 6hrs PW a driveway. Nearly always wear Snickers with knee-pads, need them because I'm always kneeling in the back of van because of the height out the ground.  

I wear shorts, all year round. I once asked the postie why they did this and he explained that the theory is, if your legs get wet they will dry out where trousers would stay wet the rest of the day. Seems to work and you don't really feel the cold on your legs.
To be fair, they are in and out of their vans every few minutes with their heaters blasting hot air at them, also how long are their shifts ? (local postie pointed this out)...bit different for us - some jobs take me half a day (I work s-l-o-w-l-y ?)...by which time my icicles would have icicles! I agree shorts all day long Apr-Sept but not when it's 7-8c or lower...in winter I often wear a 'base layer' which has a dual purpose you stay toasty but if your trouser leg does get a little wet it doesn't migrate to your skin - hence you don't notice it. Type of trouser and material makes a massive different, cordura type & close weave type fabrics can repel all but heavy rain - flat thin cotton tend to get soaked and stays that way all day - which is never a pleasant thing

Had my Lollipopman outfit on today, 6hrs PW a driveway. Nearly always wear Snickers with knee-pads, need them because I'm always kneeling in the back of van because of the height out the ground.  
Can’t wait for your memoirs Scottish ?

To be fair, they are in and out of their vans every few minutes with their heaters blasting hot air at them, also how long are their shifts ? (local postie pointed this out)...bit different for us - some jobs take me half a day (I work s-l-o-w-l-y ?)...by which time my icicles would have icicles! I agree shorts all day long Apr-Sept but not when it's 7-8c or lower...in winter I often wear a 'base layer' which has a dual purpose you stay toasty but if your trouser leg does get a little wet it doesn't migrate to your skin - hence you don't notice it. Type of trouser and material makes a massive different, cordura type & close weave type fabrics can repel all but heavy rain - flat thin cotton tend to get soaked and stays that way all day - which is never a pleasant thing
I’ve worn shorts so long I don’t even love the feel of wearing trousers anymore ??‍♂️

I have wrote a book called Friarshall and I have a customer re-writing it for me at the moment. It should be out in the summer, will give you all a copy free if it ever gets finished. ?

I'm £3 a sq metre if that helps but I sand for free. ?
ah,  without much experience of that aspect, but id be inclined to charge per the time, so id say 200 for 6 hours, maybe more for equipment costs?

I’ve been looking at the scruffs trousers recently, they look smart, and they do slim fit, which look smarter than big baggy trousers on me.

I went right off the usual work trousers to many pockets that aren't needed also too much polyester , I prefer a cotton trouser I bought some FXD ones last year and they are decent, but hard to get the right size for me 29" waist & 29" leg ideally

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using these guys for while - their gear is next level, great choice/range/colours/features (i.e thermal versions for winter , summer light versions/matching shorts, so you can look like a uniform, t/polo shirts, soft-shell, waterproofs, all coordinating and matching, great gear plenty of vents that you can unzip for those days that look cold but warm up to unbearable and you feel like your in a sauna - just whip open the vents ...arrh the relief..?

Decent large belt loops, phone pocket and the range I've got - ruler pockets, which work great for a squeegee, ideal when you're up a ladder inside, and want to detail, it sits neatly at your side. cordura hardwearing patches in key area, kneepad pockets, elasticated waistband (no builders bums here)...ok enough - check'em out doubt you'll never go back (2020 range is my preference) 

https://www.engelbert-strauss.co.uk 
You should have been a salesman, I've just bought a pair of es motion ten , cheers

just  pur cargo trousers in ebay,     I get my last pair from Ex Police Store on ebay, around £12    Hard wearing and keeping black.

Had plenty out of Aldi,    they fade  colour with wear & tear.      looking baggy and scruffy.

Soon back to shorts out of Boyes.   smart  looking.   side pockets with Zips for my moullah

You should have been a salesman, I've just bought a pair of es motion ten , cheers
Should have wrangled a commission ? apologies in advance for the 'junkmail' (brochures) you will receive in the coming months - they send them every few weeks (I secretly enjoy getting 'em but don't let them know) - I can tell you must be a whipper snapper - opting for 'skinny' work trousers eh! 

Should have wrangled a commission ? apologies in advance for the 'junkmail' (brochures) you will receive in the coming months - they send them every few weeks (I secretly enjoy getting 'em but don't let them know) - I can tell you must be a whipper snapper - opting for 'skinny' work trousers eh! 
Skinny, I will be sending them back, my legs  aren't built for skinny trousers

Back