Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smurf

This is the reason why i hate going to quote industrial units

Smurf

That book like others available refers to many regs when working at height and are not just guidelines but law which it seems many individuals don't realise. That is why firms and individuals get prosecuted every year and jobs shut down by not following the regs.

Rascal

That's interesting. Shame it is not well policed. Lot's of firms have such photos on their websites......

Smurf

When dealing with companies like that industrial unit which are hot on H&S they will not allow any jo blogs to turn up and carry out work unsafely as they can be prosecuted too.

You will find in any trade working at height especially in the domestic market they will flout the law (cut corners) just so to remain competitive on price, maximise profit and save time at the expense of workers safety.

That's interesting. Shame it is not well policed. Lot's of firms have such photos on their websites......

cheapncheerful

believe me nowt is as simples as it looks...like the recent gutter frank had to repair when he was a good two foot away from the particular bracket that broke and when he looked he noticed that all the surrounding brackets had been replaced with a metal support so they were obviously cr ap from the start...

I now factor in for the hidden and if no hidden turns up...I am quids in...:Dnow just off to smurf an estimate for a house with loadsa jobs..

dont be mean smurf I think boar wants the job....:Ddont worry ..he will travel..

Smurf

£500 my arse :D

I have a picture in my head now with @boarcity up on that roof playing tug of war trying to get those trees out and trying to clear the roof & gutters too. Best bit his boots will be covered in mud so will be slipping and sliding all over the place. That’s if he makes it up his ladder in the first place without falling off.:laugh:

Guest boarcity

i also would be using whats called parrot beak croppers,to make short work of the tree top

id label the job summat like "the barbados job " and refer to this name often,as a reminder to what was the aim, price would be paying for a fortnight in barbados for me n missus. im now thinkin i underpriced it at 500 ,

anyhow whatever was the ticket price on a memorable holiday would be what my price would be

Smurf

I would charge in the region of £600 not including remove/replacement of the downpipe that's if there is full scaffolding erected first or they can get someone else to do the job.:D

Guest boarcity

did you give them a price etc

Dave B

I could do it but it wouldn't be safe without scaffolding

I have a ticket for ally tower but it would be awkward to set it up safely in that gap

Did they ask for ra/ms or anything smurf?

I would think they would want to be covered if you fell

Dave B

Pity tower isn't suitable for the job as i would have let them pay for it and then walked away with a nice new tower

Guest boarcity
And I will let you know their response but I'm not holding my breath :D

what price was it then, dont hold back on us

Jimroot

I hope the papers don't get hold of this:

'white bearded mythical man in hat cuts down ancient tree after moving Anglo Saxon fencing panel to receive pot of gold'

Smurf

I was told the firm just paid out to get the retaining wall replaced as the earth bank started to slip down hence why it's so muddy at the back. There also seems to be no drainage put in so the excess water will continue to run off the bank into that area.

5915ca24c92c8_GOPR0505viewofbank.jpg.3487e8031648ae8a89ab5dd3b0eedfa0.jpg

The concreate (white bits) you see in the pic on the ground are actually extra panels from the retaining wall they put down for the micro digger they used to remove the slpped earth bank.

Just take the fence down and the gaps bigger :)

Smurf

The profile of the guttering & whatever the technical term for the bit on the outside of the guttering makes it awkward to clear out anyways. I would imagine there is also a few hundred gallons of water trapped up there too so it would be like baling out a boat trying to do it just by hand. Let alone trying to remove the trees etc.:rolleyes:

5915ca24cf21f_GOPR0505endviewofgutteringfull.jpg.631dd40738f4205b9e902fe5755b7cf7.jpg

Smurf

Here are some other pics of tree growth that I haven't shown before.

Tree 1

5915ca24d54c9_GOPR0505tree1.jpg.4e12231c3bf051bf59129565fa72d8df.jpg

Tree 2

5915ca24de394_GOPR0506tree2.jpg.fd66de7ca348398eabbd5987423c82b1.jpg

Well sort of tree 3

5915ca24e492e_GOPR0506tree3.jpg.aca747bd778dfcf0ae95207fc353ee9a.jpg

Tree 4

5915ca24eb339_GOPR0506tree4.jpg.b0b11188ead34394c6cf35d6e9b57958.jpg

Tree 5 - in downspout (you have seen already)

5915ca24f0ede_GOPR0506tree5indownspout.jpg.a8bf40feed837dfc2fbb70a7624e4aed.jpg

Tree 6 - more of a bush than a tree

5915ca2502bd2_GOPR0506tree6.jpg.461ec8063e71ed369dedf7629f681918.jpg

Jimroot

I wonder if their insurance is void leaving it much longer. Can you dump the water using your vac as a pump?

Smurf

Makes me wonder too..

No none of the vacs I have has auto dump fitted. To be honest the ones that I have seen just have dirty water submersable pumps inside them so are nothing special.

Guest boarcity

You could syphon it out

Smurf

I'm betting once the downspout is unblocked the trapped water will flow down it like Niagara Falls. Just need to make sure not too much crap goes down the pipe when it's being unblocked to avoid a blockage in the drain underground. Will also be a good test to see if the water flows away or not.

If the tree & roots can't be removed from the downspout by hand or winched out then will need removing/replaced as I won't be fecking about trying to get it out.:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.