Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Warning about damage to glass

Steve E

I would like to warn people (mostly new starters) about what happened to me today.

Started to clean large bungalow. When i caused a severe scratch in glass. About 6 inch right in center of pane.

I couldn't believe how easily it happened and how I haven't done this before.

I had applicator in my left hand and stretched to the right and started soaping the window, as squeegie was in my right hand. I am on bottom rung of small ladder at this point.

I have a wedding ring . Just a smooth band but some type of metal not gold.

This ring is slightly loose. Holding the handle has pushed the ring into fleshy part of my finger raising it off the top of my finger by about 3 mil. As I swept down it must have gouged the glass. I felt it but couldn't believe it.

I informed customer who was really good. She appreciated my honesty and  insisted on paying me. 

Her son works for company who fitted the windows. So he hopefully will get a unit at cost price and fit it. I am probably looking at a 50 - 100 bill though. From now on the wedding ring stays at home!

Just thought I'd pass it on. It was a fluke..but could happen to anyone who wears a ring. Also I believe modern glass is much softer then glass from day 20 years ago.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm just glad it wasn't the patio.!

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.