Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking about starting my own round

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Glory Hornet

I used to be a traditional window cleaner 30 years ago,but after 3 years I went into warehousing. 30 years later I am looking at starting up my own window cleaning business. Need advice on the new systems, what to by and how they work and how far do hoses go regarding terraced houses which the fronts are 400 mtrs from the van 

If terraced are 400m from van either park closer or use a trolley. Or better still don't clean terraced and save yourself the hassle.

If terraced are 400m from van either park closer or use a trolley. Or better still don't clean terraced and save yourself the hassle.
That's ok if you don't live in a town full of terraced like me

Price to allow for walking round to the back etc and it is a good earner

That's ok if you don't live in a town full of terraced like me

Price to allow for walking round to the back etc and it is a good earner

Each to their own dave, there's rows of terraced in my area too I just avoid them, i find parking an issue, access an issue and I hate humping a trolley about. 

I think I have about half a dozen terraced.

Most of my round is easy access semis and detatched which is what I like.

Each to their own dave, there's rows of terraced in my area too I just avoid them, i find parking an issue, access an issue and I hate humping a trolley about. 

I'm with Adam on this one. Leave the terraces to be someone elses headache. 

I clean all terraces off backpacks, because often you cant park, and you cant realistically carry ladders through terraces. As a hint...you can negotiate very good prices just for doing the back alone. Why? Because no-one else will bother. I actually work for someone who has two window cleaners...i only do the back and she keeps the other guy out of loyalty which is fine by me i respect that. Just avoid houses with cream carpets and you’re fine really

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I clean all terraces off backpacks, because often you cant park, and you cant realistically carry ladders through terraces. As a hint...you can negotiate very good prices just for doing the back alone. Why? Because no-one else will bother. I actually work for someone who has two window cleaners...i only do the back and she keeps the other guy out of loyalty which is fine by me i respect that. Just avoid houses with cream carpets and you’re fine really

Thanks for the advice

My town is full of terraced houses. Not many semi or detached

My town is full of terraced houses. Not many semi or detached

Really? i suppose depends how big an area you cover, must be areas with semis and detatcheds not far away..

Theres parts of my city that are rows of terraces, i just dont target them areas, same with council estates i swerve them as well.

I don't go through houses

Most round here have back gates just takes a while to get to the backs or carefull planning to do a few fronts then get the backs after

Really? i suppose depends how big an area you cover, must be areas with semis and detatcheds not far away..

Theres parts of my city that are rows of terraces, i just dont target them areas, same with council estates i swerve them as well.
I have all my domestic work (except for a seperate round in a nearby village) in a 3 mile radius from my house 

Very compact areas 

If I was as fussy I wouldn't have the round I have now

Council estates are fine and I grew up on some dodgy ones but you will find most normal council estate tennants will pay promptly without hassle.. maybe they realise how important it is to pay swiftly as they rely on their wages to pay bills.. happier to work for normal people who will pay rather than chase money 

I also do some nice areas with big detatched houses and some new builds which gives a nice balance but to me a house is a house

I don't go through houses

Most round here have back gates just takes a while to get to the backs or carefull planning to do a few fronts then get the backs after

I have all my domestic work (except for a seperate round in a nearby village) in a 3 mile radius from my house 

Very compact areas 

If I was as fussy I wouldn't have the round I have now

Council estates are fine and I grew up on some dodgy ones but you will find most normal council estate tennants will pay promptly without hassle.. maybe they realise how important it is to pay swiftly as they rely on their wages to pay bills.. happier to work for normal people who will pay rather than chase money 

I also do some nice areas with big detatched houses and some new builds which gives a nice balance but to me a house is a house

I live on a council estate mate, albeit albeit a quiet one.

There's some real rough **** estates near me, gardens full or rubbish, great big nasty dogs. Just not my idea of fun.

I work in about a 5 mile radius with thousands of houses to target that's why I pick the nicer areas of town and avoid terraces to make my day easier and more pleasant. 

Can only clean so many customers so it's not like in missing out.

I don't mind my terraced ones, I wfp all the fronts both sides, then I pull the van round to the backings, they've got alley gates ( which I've got a key for) and run the reel up the back, they pay well especially when they're packed together.
I'm not too fussy what properties I do as long as they're good people and pay on time.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back