Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can anybody give me any advice regarding obtaining more commercial work? I have owned my own company in Hertfordshire for the last four years.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

David007

Hi can anybody give me any advice regarding obtaining more commercial work? I have owned my Hertfordshire based company for the last four years, and although i have some commercial work I would like a lot more. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi can anybody give me any advice regarding obtaining more commercial work? I have owned my Hertfordshire based company for the last four years, and although i have some commercial work I would like a lot more. Any suggestions? Thanks
Get out there and approach companies or get a good ranking website and the work will come to you

You have to get out there and knock on doors, probably a lot of doors. Some will ask you to quote to check pricing against their regular cleaner.
Do you know how to present a risk and method document? (RAMS).
Also ensure you have adequate public liability insurance.

Over the years we have found commercial work comes and goes. There is more risk than with residential.

Many years ago a cleaner decided to concentrate on commercial and sold all his residential. His reasoning was that there was more money in commercial. It didn't work out for him.
The credit crunch of 2008 didn't help and I'm sure had he still been around, COVID would have affected him as it did us.

I took us a year to get payment for one of our commercial jobs, and they didn't renew the contract. They were looking for a cheaper price, so the writing was on the wall.

With residential we don't have all our eggs in one basket. One of the first commercial jobs we had went bankrupt. Although we eventually got paid, it left a big hole job wise which took months to replace. Had one of the partners not paid us out of his own pocket, that would have also been a big financial hit for us as well.

Last edited:
Back