Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Back up pump box

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Anyone know a back up pump, maybe all in with battery I can keep on garage grab and use if my main one has a problem? 

Thxs

We have a twin operator system on my van. Both Shurflo pumps are over 10 years old (1 is 11 years old and the other has just become a teenager.) The controllers are the first digital Varistreams.

Our leisure batteries last about 3 to 4 years. I have had a spare Shurflo pump in my office for 7 years. It was purchased as a spare in case one of the pumps on the van needed to be replaced. I also purchased another controller at the same time. Its still in its packaging.

So for me, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't bother with buying a replacement pump. A battery can be purchased and delivered next day. A battery isn't something I would have a spare of anyway. I would rather wait a day and buy 'fresh' stock from a local supplier.

It's  just to buy some time if my battery goes flat or one of my wires goes faulty on my diy system and I haven't got time to faff around

If you keep your spare pumpbox in the garage at home it would be quicker and less faff, To ensure your battery always has a decent charge and a loose connection is easily sorted within a few minutes which is far quicker than knocking off work driving home and back again if a problem arises. 

My son's van has a change over switch. I fitted it years ago to his first van as an backup for him. If his leisure battery failed then he could switch his pump over to the van battery.

I did this as I wasn't sure in those early wfp days how long an 85amph leisure battery was supposed to last. I had a trailer system then that I used and, although I could get a full day out of a new battery, it wasn't long before I couldn't. I had to leave my van running in the street to keep the pump running. I replaced the leisure battery 3 times. I had that trailer for 3 years and it was due another battery when I scrapped the system. When I decided to replace the Suzuki Van I used as a tow van for a bigger van and van mounted system, I found my leisure battery issues stopped. (This could have been because the leisure battery was on the draw bar of the trailer open to the elements, or that I changed the battery charger to an intelligent Numax one, or a combination of both.)

My son has never had to use his backup change over switch once in 10 years. These days we work off of my van so having a good battery is my problem. My leisure battery is over 3 years old and I'm expecting to have to replace it. But it got a hammering yesterday and stood up without issue.

We have just been told we have our regular school clean to do this summer. If the battery goes then its safe enough to run the vans engine and a replacement battery will be ordered and delivered next day. We also bring in my son's van that week.

This is the "good" thing about DIY. I think I have enough spares to build at least one complete van system and three trolley/backpacks. ? Yes, that includes reels, batteries, controllers and almost poles.

Latest Posts

Back