Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When is it time for a new brush?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bart90

Just need a bit of advice.

I notice my bristles keep 'warping' for want of a better word. I use a kettle of boiling water and they all go back to place. Is this normal?  It never used to do this but seems to have become more frequent lately, it's 7 months old and been doing tops only so not exactly continuous use.

Would appreciate your thoughts..

It's a Gardiners Ultimate Medium soft mixed brush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its always time for a new brush

No seriously though mate it sounds knackered to me, if you go on the gardiner website they have a brush guide and it tells you the life expectancy of each brush.

If you've had 7 months that sounds good to me, other makes can last longer but gardiner do the best brushes by far.

Its always time for a new brush

No seriously though mate it sounds knackered to me, if you go on the gardiner website they have a brush guide and it tells you the life expectancy of each brush.

If you've had 7 months that sounds good to me, other makes can last longer but gardiner do the best brushes by far.
lol cheers buddy, it's like browsing a car show room on there...all those shiny new brushes ?

In that case, any recommendation for a new brush, and what size would you go for?

The problem with only doing the tops wfp is you can't judge as well how the brush is doing, whether the bristles are getting right into the edges and corners of the windows, that sort of thing. I would clean a few bottom windows with it to get an idea up close.

Seven months is pretty good going though. I've got an xtreme natural hybrid thats still doing pretty well at eight months and it's my main brush of choice and I'm 100% wfp

The problem with only doing the tops wfp is you can't judge as well how the brush is doing, whether the bristles are getting right into the edges and corners of the windows, that sort of thing. I would clean a few bottom windows with it to get an idea up close.

Seven months is pretty good going though. I've got an xtreme natural hybrid thats still doing pretty well at eight months and it's my main brush of choice and I'm 100% wfp
To be fair, i do do some downstairs with it so can see it at work from time to time.  

That sounds like a cool name for a brush!  Why did you go for that one?

I’m using the Gardiner Ultimate brush and are very good in my opinion. Used to use the flocked sill brush as my daily before this.
Also when the bristles are gone on the edge of the ultimate I’ll be cutting it down to use like a sill brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Once the corner bristles start to go out of shape I get new ones. But some brushes do last longer than other, I just got new ultimate DuPont brushes. Had the old ones about 12 weeks. The black short bristles in the middle were all crushed & folded. A good-new brush always pays for itself ?

To be fair, i do do some downstairs with it so can see it at work from time to time.  

That sounds like a cool name for a brush!  Why did you go for that one?

I was cutting down on the weight of my kit due to the RSI and chose the Xtreme as part of my efforts. I used one years ago and wasn’t impressed. I don’t know if it was my inexperience or what. I decided to give them another try and chose the natural bristled version. This time round I found it very different. The natural bristles are great and the other bristles seem to have been improved.

I have being using my Ultimate dupont for almost 5 months now and its still going strong bristles are a little mis-shapen but i reckon I will get a few more weeks out of it yet. I just need to sell the brushes I hardly or haven't used at all 

I’m using the Gardiner Ultimate brush and are very good in my opinion. Used to use the flocked sill brush as my daily before this.
Also when the bristles are gone on the edge of the ultimate I’ll be cutting it down to use like a sill brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Sorry it’s not the ultimate I use it’s the universal sill brush.
Far too many names for brushes these days. Lol

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info guys.  I'm going brush shopping.....!
Have fun mate!

I would recommend going as light as possible, if you are the type that likes to push quite hard on the pole when cleaning the I would go for an ultimate. If you clean using the bristle tips using light pressure then the extreme is a dream.

If you like the brush to splay(I hate that) then I believe the supreme is a very popular brush and light at 200 grams.

If you like to rinse on the glass then go for a monofilament brush, the flocked are good at scrubbing but hold loads of **** so you have to rinse off with them.

If you can afford it I would get at least two brushes as there is no "one size fits all" brush. I have around 8 on the van and mix them up when needed. This way I always have the right brush on the pole and it makes my day easier and my results better.

I do have to say though now I know how to use it the extreme is awesome.

Back