Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
Download Our IOS and Android App! Read more... ×
Damo

Window cleaning companies merging/partners

Damo

Good evening guys and girls.

Has anyone successfully heard of or better still merged themselves with another window cleaning company or even taken on a partner. 

Two local companies near me merged and it wasn't a success and that was window cleaning.

Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation.....

TIA

EDIT - This might do better in "the office" section :) 

Edited by Damo

scottish cleaning service

Like any partnership, it usually ends in arguments and eventually you want to go your own way.

Cghwindowcleaning

A very good friend of mine has just merged recently with another company.

They are from different areas so they now cover a much wider area and offer more services.it was also a way of accelerating growth with out taking loans against the business.

Seems to working for them.

Damo
45 minutes ago, Cghwindowcleaning said:

A very good friend of mine has just merged recently with another company.

They are from different areas so they now cover a much wider area and offer more services.it was also a way of accelerating growth with out taking loans against the business.

Seems to working for them.

This is exactly the scenario with me and it would see us covering a massive area. 

Early days but I am interested.

1 hour ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Like any partnership, it usually ends in arguments and eventually you want to go your own way.

Yeah my dad had a partnership go belly up years ago and hes already given his input on it 😞

Part Timer

The trouble with partnerships, I'll assume 50/50, is when the partners have different thoughts about what direction to go. A friend of mine was 50/50 in a pub, approx. 15 years ago Cameron's Brewery offered them a million pounds for it. My friend was very keen to sell but the other partner wasn't, so he asked the partner for £500k for his half of the pub and he refused only offering him £250k to buy him out, which he obviously refused. Because their working relationship fell apart so did their pub, probably struggle to get anywhere near £500k for it today.

I think if there are clearly defined targets and responsibilities then it might work, what I would suggest is an independent professional, Solicitor or Accountant, that would solve any major disagreements. It's great going in to a business partnership thinking you'll both be singing from the same sheet, unfortunately it rarely continues like it started, so a legally binding dispute settling agreement, would be high on my agenda.

scottish cleaning service

Even family partnerships eventually fade. You are much better coming to an arrangement. I heard Arnold Clark and Peter Vardy had an arrangement not to cross the border. In the end it became everyman for himself when you have to feed a monster with size. Window cleaning and cleaning in general is a growing industry. Problems arise when it begins to contract, maybe next year it will go a bit stale. I believe we are in for a recession which may be a prolonged one.

Iron Giant
12 hours ago, Damo said:

Good evening guys and girls.

Has anyone successfully heard of or better still merged themselves with another window cleaning company or even taken on a partner. 

Two local companies near me merged and it wasn't a success and that was window cleaning.

Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation.....

TIA

EDIT - This might do better in "the office" section 🙂

I have moved it. I would have thought with a family owned and run business like yours which has been going for a lot of years a merger might be more of an issue mentally, I would guess your dads'  input isn't repeatable on here 

Damo

I can’t really class it as family run now, too many non family members working with us. 

The merger would see my brand staying the same and incorporating the other company. 

Early stages at the moment but I think my mind is made up already. 

P4dstar

I know of a couple of lads who ran a taxi service for nights out (This is a much much simplified version of their business) one started the business offering taxi, entrance to night clubs etc etc etc all in one package. The other lad ran an airport run service. When they merged they tried to run it so the lad who knew taxi's ran the transport and the lad who had contacts in the pub trade ran the entertainment side. Long story short they clashed far too much and one had to go. They remained partners but agreed the lad with contacts in the pub trade would run the show and the other lad went off and did his own thing.

If you're in a position where your brand would be maintained and the other would be dissolved into your business then it sounds like you hold all the cards. I would be too paranoid the other partner was just trying to ride the gravy train of my success which wouldn't make for a good working relationship. Not often you hear about smaller tradesman like companies merging, most go for a straight forward buy out option.

Clearview Lee

The only ship that sinks is a partnership!