Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning companies merging/partners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I don't have a big business but do have experience in a partnership that I got out of with a relative. 

Here's alot of things to consider :

A business partnership is just like a marriage, it's for the long Haul. You need to be sure you're both compatible as people or it could be the failure of the business. 

What's yours and their goals in life and business? 

A person seriously wanting to grow a successful business will have written short & long term goals, sales & marketing targets etc that would give you an idea of how ambitious and driven he is. They won't be content with staying at the same level until they've achieved these goals. 

Do your goals compliment each others? 

If not one of you will likely end up slacking off having achieved your ambitions which could cause friction. 

Alternatively if you both have a similar vision you will drive each other to succeed. 

If you are gonna go ahead with it then I would have a written agreement in place including and exit plan if down the line one of you wants out. That way its less likely to cause problems at that stage as everything is agreed beforehand. 

Also suppose you both have a similar amount of jobs/round value , don't assume his customers are as good as yours. In my partnership, I had way better customers who paid quicker and lived in a better part of town. I resented his customers cos alot were hit and miss or would pay late but on paper we had a similar amount of work. 

It's alot to think about so I would be cautious. 

Try to find the capital to buy him out or press on with your goals and forget about it. If you're driven and determined you won't need him to get you where you wanna be and you'll be there in the end, or if you're both driven etc you could get there quicker. 

I didnt think you would need this @Damo. Never liked the idea of partnerships. (Neither do GoCardless) 

Two questions. 1. Do you NEED to do this?  2. How easy will it be to untangle if it goes pear shape?

Question 1 is a good question! Answer is probably not. Haven't got a clue if it goes pear shaped it would depend on how he was merged in i guess.

I think i am going to offer to buy him out as well, just fish around on what sort of cash he wants. 

We never met but had a quick chat on the phone. From what I can gather his business is in a mess and he wants me to save it. I’ve actually made him an offer with a big deposit and 6 payments but he said no because he hasn’t got anything else lined up. 

He’s got more customers than me but the average isn’t great. 

Youngest van is 7 years old vs ours which is 2 years old. 

No good poles, systems or planning software. 

If he paid me I’d fix it and we’d just continue separate. 

I would be more interested in buying it now. 

We never met but had a quick chat on the phone. From what I can gather his business is in a mess and he wants me to save it. I’ve actually made him an offer with a big deposit and 6 payments but he said no because he hasn’t got anything else lined up. 

He’s got more customers than me but the average isn’t great. 

Youngest van is 7 years old vs ours which is 2 years old. 

No good poles, systems or planning software. 

If he paid me I’d fix it and we’d just continue separate. 

I would be more interested in buying it now. 

With this new info i'd put down a solid cash offer and wait till he's had enough.  Maybe put a few weeks time limit on it to give him some urgency. 

It makes you wonder how some one can have the brains and dedication to build a sizeable business then slowly run it in to the ground.If it has problems and in a mess with no recent investment chances are his run up debt against it probably not paid his VAT bill or similar.If he had the ability to get it to a multi van business you would think he would know how to sort it.

No one should want out of a good profitable business especially with nothing lined up chances are his bang in trouble and would you want to chuck in excess of 100k at a load of rubbish.

The meet up was for that very reason as I wanted to see some basic accounts and how he’s keeping track etc and what sort of business man he is. 

He gives his guys say like 20 houses todo then when they’ve finished they go home, but he gets several complaints a week but just gives customers free cleans!!! 

That’s just one example of what needs fixing.

i would buy him out but that’s only because it’s a fairly low ish offer I guess. 

It makes you wonder how some one can have the brains and dedication to build a sizeable business then slowly run it in to the ground.
There are a lot of people out there that can build businesses very quickly, the good business men know when to consolidate before going again. Sounds like this guy falls into the bracket of to big to quick and didn't truly understand what his business required.

I would allow him to fail, then target his work.

Only joking!

What are your stress levels like?

Back