Jump to content
P4dstar

Cleaning Algae & Lichens from Stone Sills

Recommended Posts

P4dstar

I have a customer who has sills like the ones in the picture. The picture is taken from Google street view and its clearly a long time since they've been down that road as they are now black with algae and lichen. I don't fancy pressure washing them as they look like some type of sandstone, also they are first floor windows so that would be effort in itself! What would you guys use to clear it off?

Screenshot 2018-12-21 06.49.11.png

Share this post


Link to post
Mrwindowshine

Could they not be painted, or maybe a little soft wash I don't have a clue about softwashing though so may be a noob comment lol 

Share this post


Link to post
robert mitchell

Softwash with meta clear , it’s hypo gel basically , painting them will look shite !


Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Share this post


Link to post
scottish cleaning service
12 hours ago, P4dstar said:

I have a customer who has sills like the ones in the picture. The picture is taken from Google street view and its clearly a long time since they've been down that road as they are now black with algae and lichen. I don't fancy pressure washing them as they look like some type of sandstone, also they are first floor windows so that would be effort in itself! What would you guys use to clear it off?

Screenshot 2018-12-21 06.49.11.png

 

I would just handbrush on neat hypo with surfactant to make it stick and go back over again 30mins later.

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar

A friend of mine suggested something called ''wet and forget'', he used it on his mums house. It took about 6 weeks to clean but apparently you just apply it and leave it.

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
13 hours ago, P4dstar said:

I have a customer who has sills like the ones in the picture. The picture is taken from Google street view and its clearly a long time since they've been down that road as they are now black with algae and lichen. I don't fancy pressure washing them as they look like some type of sandstone, also they are first floor windows so that would be effort in itself! What would you guys use to clear it off?

Screenshot 2018-12-21 06.49.11.png

 

 

Softwash with hypo mix, will come up like new we do lots like this 

Share this post


Link to post
cloudnine
1 hour ago, P4dstar said:

A friend of mine suggested something called ''wet and forget'', he used it on his mums house. It took about 6 weeks to clean but apparently you just apply it and leave it.

 

Any 'moss killer' containing Didecyldimethyl-ammonium chloride... some are better than others due to concentrations and other additives.

A good fairly cheap one is MMC Pro (you can buy it on ebay for £25 for 5l).. and you dilute it down.  

It will work on nearly any algae (works really fast on green algae and slower on lichens) and kills off moss too.

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar

I'm gonna give them a little spray with biocide at some point. Promised them I will do it at some point next year.

Share this post


Link to post
scottish cleaning service
14 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I'm gonna give them a little spray with biocide at some point. Promised them I will do it at some point next year.

 

Do one with Bio and the other with Softwash and see what the difference is. Take some photos before and after so we can see what way is the best.

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
Just now, scottish cleaning service said:

 

Do one with Bio and the other with Softwash and see what the difference is. Take some photos before and after so we can see what way is the best.

Good shout man, I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
dyson123
On 21/12/2018 at 20:42, Pjj said:

 

 

Softwash with hypo mix, will come up like new we do lots like this 

How long does it take to come up like new?

 Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
17 minutes ago, dyson123 said:

How long does it take to come up like new?

 Thanks 

20-30 muinits if done right 

Share this post


Link to post
Dave B
2 hours ago, Pjj said:

20-30 muinits if done right 

I have picked up some new cleans in a nice area with sills like that.

Totally minging.

Spray household bleach/water 50/50 with a splash of soap in a spray bottle.

Clean the windows.

Give another spray and a little stiff brush if needed.

Job done and good as new.

On 21/12/2018 at 19:13, scottish cleaning service said:

 

I would just handbrush on neat hypo with surfactant to make it stick and go back over again 30mins later.

what is it with everyone using neat hypo.

No need for that strength.

4% will clean anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
3 minutes ago, Dave B said:

I have picked up some new cleans in a nice area with sills like that.

Totally minging.

Spray household bleach/water 50/50 with a splash of soap in a spray bottle.

Clean the windows.

Give another spray and a little stiff brush if needed.

Job done and good as new.

what is it with everyone using neat hypo.

No need for that strength.

4% will clean anything. 

Yes we do a lot I have never had to use it neat that’s over kill , if you get some that are really bad the cheap thick toilet bleach squirted on and brushed on leave it for 20-30 muinits light rub with the brush and it looks like new the thick bleach doesn’t dry out , when soft washing a whole house we use 3-4% mix approx.

Share this post


Link to post
scottish cleaning service

I can't seem to shift black lichen up here without using neat hypo, maybe its tougher up here. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
THL4KEL
15 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I can't seem to shift black lichen up here without using neat hypo, maybe its tougher up here. 😂

I use neat, saves having to repeat applications most of the time..

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.