P4dstar

Cleaning Algae & Lichens from Stone Sills

P4dstar

I have a customer who has sills like the ones in the picture. The picture is taken from Google street view and its clearly a long time since they've been down that road as they are now black with algae and lichen. I don't fancy pressure washing them as they look like some type of sandstone, also they are first floor windows so that would be effort in itself! What would you guys use to clear it off?

Screenshot 2018-12-21 06.49.11.png

Mrwindowshine

Could they not be painted, or maybe a little soft wash I don't have a clue about softwashing though so may be a noob comment lol 

robert mitchell

Softwash with meta clear , it’s hypo gel basically , painting them will look shite !

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

scottish cleaning service
12 hours ago, P4dstar said:

I have a customer who has sills like the ones in the picture. The picture is taken from Google street view and its clearly a long time since they've been down that road as they are now black with algae and lichen. I don't fancy pressure washing them as they look like some type of sandstone, also they are first floor windows so that would be effort in itself! What would you guys use to clear it off?

I would just handbrush on neat hypo with surfactant to make it stick and go back over again 30mins later.

P4dstar

A friend of mine suggested something called ''wet and forget'', he used it on his mums house. It took about 6 weeks to clean but apparently you just apply it and leave it.

Pjj
13 hours ago, P4dstar said:

Softwash with hypo mix, will come up like new we do lots like this 

cloudnine
1 hour ago, P4dstar said:

A friend of mine suggested something called ''wet and forget'', he used it on his mums house. It took about 6 weeks to clean but apparently you just apply it and leave it.

Any 'moss killer' containing Didecyldimethyl-ammonium chloride... some are better than others due to concentrations and other additives.

A good fairly cheap one is MMC Pro (you can buy it on ebay for £25 for 5l).. and you dilute it down.  

It will work on nearly any algae (works really fast on green algae and slower on lichens) and kills off moss too.

P4dstar

I'm gonna give them a little spray with biocide at some point. Promised them I will do it at some point next year.

14 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I'm gonna give them a little spray with biocide at some point. Promised them I will do it at some point next year.

Do one with Bio and the other with Softwash and see what the difference is. Take some photos before and after so we can see what way is the best.

P4dstar
Just now, scottish cleaning service said:

Do one with Bio and the other with Softwash and see what the difference is. Take some photos before and after so we can see what way is the best.

Good shout man, I like it!

dyson123
On 21/12/2018 at 20:42, Pjj said:

Softwash with hypo mix, will come up like new we do lots like this 

How long does it take to come up like new?

Thanks 

Pjj
17 minutes ago, dyson123 said:

How long does it take to come up like new?

Thanks 

20-30 muinits if done right 

Dave B
2 hours ago, Pjj said:

20-30 muinits if done right 

I have picked up some new cleans in a nice area with sills like that.

Totally minging.

Spray household bleach/water 50/50 with a splash of soap in a spray bottle.

Clean the windows.

Give another spray and a little stiff brush if needed.

Job done and good as new.

On 21/12/2018 at 19:13, scottish cleaning service said:

I would just handbrush on neat hypo with surfactant to make it stick and go back over again 30mins later.

what is it with everyone using neat hypo.

No need for that strength.

4% will clean anything. 

Pjj
3 minutes ago, Dave B said:

I have picked up some new cleans in a nice area with sills like that.

Totally minging.

Spray household bleach/water 50/50 with a splash of soap in a spray bottle.

Clean the windows.

Give another spray and a little stiff brush if needed.

Job done and good as new.

what is it with everyone using neat hypo.

No need for that strength.

4% will clean anything. 

Yes we do a lot I have never had to use it neat that’s over kill , if you get some that are really bad the cheap thick toilet bleach squirted on and brushed on leave it for 20-30 muinits light rub with the brush and it looks like new the thick bleach doesn’t dry out , when soft washing a whole house we use 3-4% mix approx.

I can't seem to shift black lichen up here without using neat hypo, maybe its tougher up here. 😂

THL4KEL
15 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I can't seem to shift black lichen up here without using neat hypo, maybe its tougher up here. 😂

I use neat, saves having to repeat applications most of the time..