Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice from any carpet cleaners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Clisty1989

I'm currently doing my house out to sell, and my carpets aren't in the best state, mainly paint drips (intended to get new carpet when I bought it so didn't bother with dust sheets, never got round to it, just scrubbed with scourers to get worst off and hid the rest under furniture) and was wondering if there was anything that'll get it off after so long? I'm hiring a rug Dr as I had a couple cleaners out and had some rather high prices and trying to do it on a budget, as I'm hopefully finally getting a van in the next few weeks, and putting a DIY mount in, so that'll sap all my spare cash. Any help/advice would be great, thanks in advance

Yeah by the time you have paid for a rug doctor bought their chems which are expensive your on your way to a new carpet. 

Plus rugg doctor are a really weak powered home unit. 

It's 3 large bedrooms the landing and stairs, about 600 square feet of carpet, wanna do it myself as I can fit it around work, and I'm debating whether to look into it as an add on service.

I wouldn't bother with a rug doctor, night and day difference between the professional kit and the cheaper hired machines.  Put simply it's one of those where you either do it right and spend a bit or don't bother doing it at all.  

If you really want to just make it look cleaner rather than actually have the carpet 'clean' then you would be best using an old soft window cleaning brush (a medium or hard might work better but be careful not to damage the carpet) and fill a bucket with fairy liquid so that you get lots of foam bubbles, then dip the brush in the foam (not the water) and brush up and down and side to side on the carpet.  The aim is to clean the top of the carpet without wetting the backing and you need to brush at all angles to clean each side of the carpet fibres.  Always make sure that you do a small test section first and wait for it to dry to determine whether it's worth/ok to proceed with the rest of the clean.

Chris.

Im thinking now I may just use the vanish carpet cleaning foam, scrub away and us my mates cheap carpet cleaner (Vax I think it is) and let the next owners do the brunt of it, just do a little spruce up get the worst off.

It's 3 large bedrooms the landing and stairs, about 600 square feet of carpet, wanna do it myself as I can fit it around work, and I'm debating whether to look into it as an add on service.
We own a £300 Bissell carpet cleaner. Works a treat but still wouldn’t return it to anywhere near the condition a professional system would.

I don’t know of many who offer pro carpet cleaning as an add on, I think mainly because the kit costs so much. A decent mobile machine is about 2.5k and a decent truck mounted one is 15K. That’s from what I’ve found anyway, would be interested to see if it’s something you can make DIY like we do with window cleaning set ups

I'm bunging a loaf of bread in the oven, and a pot of coffee on Apparently those smells make people feel at home ?

When houses were up for sale in South Africa, the estates agents used to organise and advertise a showday. The smell of baking bread and brewing coffee was also requested and they also wanted us to put the Barbie on and offer boerewors sausages in bread rolls to whoever wanted one. We sold the house that day.

The thing to remember when selling an older house is the person is already getting a discount. What I mean is these new builds are ridiculously priced with next to no land and the older stuff is priced much cheaper. I've assumed here that you aren't selling a new build, if you are then this point is not relevant to you.

To use an example I live in a street where the houses were built in 1972. They are all 3/4 bed semi's on my part of the road. Every one has parking for 2 cars minimum and a garage and all have decent sized front and rear gardens. The people across the road sold last year for £230k. Meanwhile round the corner in the same street is a development of new houses built in 2014. A 4 bed semi was on the market for £389k at the same time. They have next to no land out the back, a garage and space for 2 cars.

The point i'm making is people are already getting a whopping discount when they purchase a normal house against a new development property. You can do a lot more with a normal house too as you have the land to do it.

The thing to remember when selling an older house is the person is already getting a discount. What I mean is these new builds are ridiculously priced with next to no land and the older stuff is priced much cheaper. I've assumed here that you aren't selling a new build, if you are then this point is not relevant to you.

To use an example I live in a street where the houses were built in 1972. They are all 3/4 bed semi's on my part of the road. Every one has parking for 2 cars minimum and a garage and all have decent sized front and rear gardens. The people across the road sold last year for £230k. Meanwhile round the corner in the same street is a development of new houses built in 2014. A 4 bed semi was on the market for £389k at the same time. They have next to no land out the back, a garage and space for 2 cars.

The point i'm making is people are already getting a whopping discount when they purchase a normal house against a new development property. You can do a lot more with a normal house too as you have the land to do it.
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/12-powys-avenue/townhill/swansea/sa1-6pg/35668913

This is the house, old listing from when I bought it. All I've done is ripped up most of the slabs out back, and put a lawn in, put a fence up along the drop and redecorated throughout. Bought at 69k, now worth 95k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/12-powys-avenue/townhill/swansea/sa1-6pg/35668913

This is the house, old listing from when I bought it. All I've done is ripped up most of the slabs out back, and put a lawn in, put a fence up along the drop and redecorated throughout. Bought at 69k, now worth 95k.
Just took your postcode and searched for new build 3 bed houses, minimum £160k and maximum £260k.... They're getting enough of a discount and shouldn't worry so much about a couple of paint specs on the carpet man! Sod em haha

Latest Posts

Back