NorthumberlandWindowCleanr

7 Months Starting My Story so far! * LOTS of Tips*

Davy G

Well done, well thought out business methods. 

Joshyouare

Enjoyed reading that - great post, so did you leaflet instead of door knocking at the start? And what times were you out leaflet dropping and for how long a day?

adamangler

That's a fantastic post and a fantastic achievement in just 7 months 

I think it took me about 18 months to get that many customers.

The key point you raised is to take action.

We can all talk a good game but action is what seperates the really successful from the average (I'm in the average camp btw I've always struggled with motivation).

Well done

RWCleaning

Good on you man. It’s paying off! 

Btw how man words left did you have for the 2500 limit? 

P4dstar
4 hours ago, RWCleaning said:

Good on you man. It’s paying off! 

Btw how man words left did you have for the 2500 limit? 

The guys a magician... Or friends with Gav 😂

Screenshot 2019-01-22 14.55.59.png

NorthumberlandWindowCleanr

🙂 I didnt realise i didnt the impossible ! 🙂 the original post is over 8,000+ words long

I pasted the first 2300 block, then the next and then the next and then the next and they just all automatically merged into one 

RWCleaning

Lets just sit for a minute or so and think about what we just witnessed 

Doddy111

Great read, well done on your success so far. 

What are your plans for this year/future?  

AJ Fry

Superb post, so much value in it. Early in my business as well this is so motivational and informative. Thanks for taking the time to share. Good luck for 2019!

Lemming

Thank you for posting this. It's full of fantastic information that I'm excited to implement into my own business. I'm 3 months in so advice like this is invaluable.

scottish cleaning service

Wonderful story for someone new starting out as a window cleaner. I may take on board some of the things you have stated, may well it continue. :1f44d:

Steam

Some great advice there that I will be applying to my business.

Cleanco

Fantastic post there buddy and a great insight into the modern day window cleaner. Although I’ve been at it a while I’m always looking for new ways to improve the way I work and generally making work life easier and more fruitful. Not too keen on the <18 foot idea though but the extremitys of this job are not for everyone and it’s got me thinking, how many would be doing this job without the luxury’s we have today? It’s kind of a bitter sweet for me as these new inventions make life for existing cleaners much easier but are also allowing an influx of new cleaners onto the market that wouldn’t of entertained it say 20 years ago. 

Ade c

Great read I've been fitting double giazing for 30 years and fed up with it lol . Been looking at starting up cleaning round for some time . I'm pretty confident I can get a descent customer base from the start . Just need to make the break and go for it 😉

Davy G
On 28/01/2019 at 06:32, Cleanco said:

Fantastic post there buddy and a great insight into the modern day window cleaner. Although I’ve been at it a while I’m always looking for new ways to improve the way I work and generally making work life easier and more fruitful. Not too keen on the <18 foot idea though but the extremitys of this job are not for everyone and it’s got me thinking, how many would be doing this job without the luxury’s we have today? It’s kind of a bitter sweet for me as these new inventions make life for existing cleaners much easier but are also allowing an influx of new cleaners onto the market that wouldn’t of entertained it say 20 years ago. 

Yep, you can include me in that, I don't mind admitting. I would not be doing it if I had to be lugging ladders and getting my hands wet for a large part of the day. I spent nearly 20 years working on pipelines and water mains in all weathers from minus 10 to torrential rain and full storm. Sometimes doing 8 hours a day on the big old jack hammers. I was in the early stages of Vibration White Finger with the wet and cold when I just got out before permanent damage.

My hands rarely get wet with the pole and they don't get as cold as they used to. I fully understand your point about window cleaning being much easier than it once was but still a lot of people don't stick with it. Not everyone has the drive or motivation. I think also there's a fair amount of snobbery still, so a lot of people will go driving : instructor, minicab, delivery etc, as they see it as having more status and less physical work. 

Tom - Ryedale Cleaners

Awesome stuff. 

Great - thanks for sharing! Keep grinding. Always 💯

Ana

Great reading for someone just starting in WFP. Around 18 months ago I sold my trad round to a friend and got an office job, i finish there at the end of the month and stories like this give me further motivation to make it all work in the coming months. Brought a round as a kick start along with equipment provided by the round seller but hope to be hitting figures like 2k a month soon enough (round is currently worth £1200 so I'm over half way there already).

many of the points you bring up @NorthumberlandWindowCleanr I did when I first began on the trad round apart from the card payments, everything was cash on collection, the odd cheque etc. This wasn't a big issue as the work was fairly close and they were all good payers. The work I've brought is 85-90% DD or card so big change for me there and I can't wait.

thanks for taking the time to post all this info, some food for thought for everyone I feel.

Tom - Ryedale Cleaners
On 28/01/2019 at 06:32, Cleanco said:

... how many would be doing this job without the luxury’s we have today? It’s kind of a bitter sweet for me as these new inventions make life for existing cleaners much easier but are also allowing an influx of new cleaners onto the market that wouldn’t of entertained it say 20 years ago. 

Hi there.. 

Yes, good point and fair. 

We've run a cleaning business since 2010, like properly established. Always wanted to get into window cleaning more.. But never been to keen on climbing ladders. So then when we moved house and had water access decided on getting a van and all gear and went WFP

But I think window cleaning and cleaning generally always attracted new people as it seems relatively easy, simple. We know lots of what we call them 'next door lady' who clean for some extra cash.. Same with windows, some bought an applicator, squeegee and a ladder and hey ho. 

Then life sorts out these anyway... 

Even with nowadays luxury’s as you mentioned, there are lots of geared up van dor sale. Ebay, fb. So seems like people try but then for any reason give up.. So, it's about surviving. Executing. It's like, you can read about push ups but you won't get fit.... 💪💪💪

Best wishes Guys! 

T

Cleanco
2 hours ago, Tom - Ryedale Cleaners said:

Hi there.. 

Yes, good point and fair. 

We've run a cleaning business since 2010, like properly established. Always wanted to get into window cleaning more.. But never been to keen on climbing ladders. So then when we moved house and had water access decided on getting a van and all gear and went WFP

But I think window cleaning and cleaning generally always attracted new people as it seems relatively easy, simple. We know lots of what we call them 'next door lady' who clean for some extra cash.. Same with windows, some bought an applicator, squeegee and a ladder and hey ho. 

Then life sorts out these anyway... 

Even with nowadays luxury’s as you mentioned, there are lots of geared up van dor sale. Ebay, fb. So seems like people try but then for any reason give up.. So, it's about surviving. Executing. It's like, you can read about push ups but you won't get fit.... 💪💪💪

Best wishes Guys! 

T

Yes for sure. I also think winters kill a lot off too. 

Chris34
11 minutes ago, Cleanco said:

Yes for sure. I also think winters kill a lot off too. 

Ha ha, natures way of weeding out the weak from the good.  

Cleanco
5 minutes ago, Chris34 said:

Ha ha, natures way of weeding out the weak from the good.  

😂you’ve gotta take the rough with the smooth. This winters been a breeze, still time yet though. 

Mark Lynch

Very inspirational post and thank you.

Does anyone know if using a go cardless direct debit, (on whatever frequency cycle), what happens when one is frozen solid, rained off or on holiday for two weeks?

Can the direct debit be manipulated? Thanks for any pointers on this.

P4dstar
49 minutes ago, Mark Lynch said:

Very inspirational post and thank you.

Does anyone know if using a go cardless direct debit, (on whatever frequency cycle), what happens when one is frozen solid, rained off or on holiday for two weeks?

Can the direct debit be manipulated? Thanks for any pointers on this.

The direct debit is only initiated when you create an invoice. Similar to how your phone bill will change month to month. If you don't clean they aren't charged.