Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

high tds from new Ro unit

WCF

Help Support WCF:

clean machine

Hi, Can someone help please, bought new 200gpd Ro from pure freedom, with a booster pump and Di.

First time I ran it Yesterday, did the 2 hour flush as instructions,  ran it for 5 hours  at 000tds no problem , Today started at 001 tds tried flushing Ro for about 15 mins no change,  so run it at 001 tds  4 hours later checked it tds was 009, tried flushing for 50 mins no change !

Checked tap water  tds 235  out of Ro 075 out of Di 009

Any ideas ?

Spruce is our Ro man, but will try and give him a break before I pop to pub. Albeit a condensed effort. For starters, after the Ro should be as low as 4 or 5 from a tap reading of 235. Was it 75 out of Ro from the start? or after you found tds had gone up? Could you possibly have not had the waste valve open enough, that could cause damage to the Ro membrane. Also presume youve got the pre-filters before Ro set up ok. Good luck buddy, others will be on here soon to help, Ive got an appointment at some taverns ? ?

The first question we always ask is: What is your pure to waste ratio when you are producing water?

Your r/o is probably the type that has 3 housings underneath the membrane housing/s.  Many suppliers use different configirations of r/o but usually the third is the tiny di vessel. It will always give you 000 ppm when the resin is new. Due to its size it doesn't hold much resin, but at 75ppm out of the r/o that resin won't last long.

Yesterday it came out of  the Ro at 012  so I cannot understand why it's gone up so quickly  to 075 ?

Cheers Clean Machine

When are you taking this reading? It takes a while for the TDS to 'come down' after starting the water through an RO. When I'm purifying I detach the hose going into the DI until the TDS comes down to 010, then I connect the water from the RO to the DI to save high TDS water hitting the resin. My water is around 200 PPM like yours. I use a dual inline TDS meter to take readings of the water. It measures the water coming out of the RO and measures the water coming out of the DI. I'm Worcester / Herefordshire based.

Today I checked the reading out of the Di it was 001 so I thought oh it's gone up from 000 yesterdays reading , it was only later when I checked it was 009 !

The instructions say it's good to check the Tds Quote "It is a good idea to check this every few weeks to ensure the Ro unit is performing property"

Still confused !

Yesterday it came out of  the Ro at 012  so I cannot understand why it's gone up so quickly  to 075 ?

Cheers Clean Machine
the only reasons could be, either you read it too quick, leave it a while, the tds will go down once the setting is just right. this may take a while of adjusting to get it low as possible. But if your tap tds is 235, like I say, after the ro has got to be 4 or 5, and after di easily 0 for a long long time. Or as said, maybe you've accidentally left the waste valve too closed which will ruin the ro membrane and thus cause tds to be high and use up di resin and be useless for cleaning.

@clean machine are you using a separate DI vessel or are you using the 10" one supplied by PF as in the image supplied below, really baffled as to why now 11 years after I bought my first R/O from PF they are selling R/O's with a 10" DI cannister, because with a tap tds of 235 that you have if you are using the 10" DI cannister the resin will be spent in within a few hours or less at a guess 

product_2_0_200ro1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the instructions it tells you to flush for 2 hours then to turn the valve to non flow 90 degrees to pipe, which I did !

I gave it a 2 hour flush today and it gave a reading of 067 tds out of the Ro a drop of 004

On the instructions it tells you to flush for 2 hours then to turn the valve to non flow 90 degrees to pipe, which I did !

I gave it a 2 hour flush today and it gave a reading of 067 tds out of the Ro a drop of 004
  It would take 8 hours of your R/O been on flush to potentially trash the membranes  ? what size DI Vessel are you using also 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's either not plumbed correctly or membrane not seated properly. On your top white housings you have two ports at one end. The middle ports these will be joined which is your pure. The end ports your waste which will go into the restrictor. Make sure these are connected correctly.

Next the T piece which connects the two pure hoses pull this out of the hose so you should be able to measure each membrane.

See what each membrane ppm is producing and you may have one at fault.

Next unscrew the membrane cap and with the blunt end of a screw driver push in the membrane and screw the cap on.

Hopefully by doing this you may find where the fault is.

Hi, Doug,

You're on the money, I called Pure Freedom this morning, and as you suggested, they said either not  plumbed correctly or the membrane  not seated property, well I took out the membranes, put them back in and the Ro reading is 011 now !

Fingers crossed.

Its only the 10" Di cannister so that's all gone now

Thanks for everyone help and suggestions, as I didn't know where to start !

Cheers Clean Machine

Latest Posts

Back