Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Insurance for a helper

WCF

Help Support WCF:

S.W. Window Cleaning

Hi,

I was thinking about taking on a part time helper. They would be self employed. I contacted my insurance company to see if they would be covered under my policy for damage to a customer's house but it seems not. If I was employing them then I can get employers insurance. Anybody got any advice.

Thanks

Steve

Hi,

I was thinking about taking on a part time helper. They would be self employed. I contacted my insurance company to see if they would be covered under my policy for damage to a customer's house but it seems not. If I was employing them then I can get employers insurance. Anybody got any advice.

Thanks

Steve

Get who ever is working with you to get there own insurance 

This person has never cleaned windows before. Let's say he got insurance. If we both were on a job and let's say he damaged something. The customer would come after me to claim off.  Would I have to sort the customer out and then claim of my helper. But then the insurance company would want to know who the client is. Maybe it's not worth the hassle.

If someone is working under your instruction and cleaning your jobs and you are paying them a wage then you have to have employers liability insurance, you are calling him/her a helper which they aren't going to be they are going to be your employee, let's say there is an incident at a clients house and the client witnesses it they class you as there window cleaner, not your helper and will hold you responsible passing the blame and under an insurance investigation it may all unravel and worse case scenario they will cancel your insurance and not payout having cancelled insurance is a serious thing and you may struggle to get other forms of insurance with a black mark on the insurance files against your name. 

Employers liability insurance required.  Covers employees and subcontractors working for hourly rate with your tools I think.  Call your existing public liability insurer to upgrade

Great. If that's all I need then there's no problem. My insurance company never mentioned employers insurance just said I couldn't do it. Will cheque with them on Monday. Thanks for the advice

Steve

Back