Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Noise of doom transit T280?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Incheck

Hi guys, not sure if any of you have heard a hissing noise when turning the steering wheel before? Sounds like a coke can being opened or wd40 being sprayed is the best way to describe it. Only happens when the wheel is turned left or right. I am clueless as to whether its a power steering related problem or if it may even be the air bag that’s punctured or something. Going to get it booked in to the garage either way but just wondering if anyones had a similar noise before and what the diagnosis was? Cheers!

Sounds like your power steering fluid is low

There's a small bottle near the top of the engine, try and find it. @spruceis the man

It could be anything from the power steering pump to the power steering rack itself. There is a little actuator valve inside the rack that diverts pressurised fluid in the direction of the turn that could be noisy. Then again as @Part Timer suggests, it could be the steering fluid is low and the pump is sucking air. If its leaking you would know as fluid will be all over the road underneath the van.

It could also be a squeeky 'seal' or gasket on the steering shaft that goes from the steering wheel through the bulkhead.

Generally power steering systems are very reliable. It might even be a seized upper bearing on top of one (or both) of the front suspension struts or even a lower ball joint. They really need to find it at the garage as these are just guesses.

It won't be an airbag. They have a gas which is ignited on deployment. The gas expands massively which creates the protective cushion. But it also has to deflate quickly to prevent the occupant being suffocated if he/she is unconscious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers fellas, booked it in to the garage for Monday ?

the garage reckon the power steering fluid  could be low so well see ?

I dare say, but in case theres any other unidentified issues i thought id book it in. Knowing my luck it would come back to bite me in the backside otherwise. Thunderstorms forecast for sunday/monday and no work booked in until wednesday so i thought its the perfect opportunity to have it looked at. I’ve never been one for vehicles anyway, i add oil, water, windscreen washer fluid and pump up tyres and thats as far as i go really. 

Latest Posts

Back