Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

35cm brush - 2 jets or 4?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

bryyy2104

I recently invested in a 22ft Gardiner SLX, which I'm really pleased with as I was using a hybrid before. I thought to try and speed up the work, I'd get a wider brush, the idea being I could clean windows with less passes to scrub.

Not realising it would have 4 holes for the jets, I only ordered 2 2mm pencil jets, which for now I've put in the inner 2 holes. Has anyone else tried this? If I used the full 4 jets, would it speed things up? And would it have a big effect on how much water I'm using?

I recently invested in a 22ft Gardiner SLX, which I'm really pleased with as I was using a hybrid before. I thought to try and speed up the work, I'd get a wider brush, the idea being I could clean windows with less passes to scrub.

Not realising it would have 4 holes for the jets, I only ordered 2 2mm pencil jets, which for now I've put in the inner 2 holes. Has anyone else tried this? If I used the full 4 jets, would it speed things up? And would it have a big effect on how much water I'm using?
@bryyy2104 I couldn't quite get on with a 35cm brush (although I'm going to try again shortly). I tried 2 x 50⁰ red fan jets in the middle 2 holes, and 2 x 1.4 mm blue pencil jets in the outer two holes and it worked very well, although I agree with @Part Timer that 4 x blue 1.4mm would also be a great choice

4 x 1.4mm jets are equal to 2 x 2mm. 1.4mm are half the size of 2mm. So you won't use any more water than you are now.

If you are doing windows with large panes of glass, then the 35cm brush is ok. But I prefer the standard width Gardiner brushes.

I always use 4 red jets, 50% fan jets at 80 flow rate which maybe 1.8lpm or 2lpm but I have a 650l tank so water has never been a problem for me. I'm lucky if I use 300 litres per day. This set up has fantastic rinsing ability. ?

I’m surprised how many use the 35cm brushes as there quite heavy compared to 26cm brushes i wanted a stiff 26 but no longer made was toying with the idea of 35 not shore if I’ll regret it though
You have got to move with the times. 35cm brush is the best one out there even on narrow windows one can do it from the side. Can't go back to 26cm brushes unless I come across a house full of 26cm windows and the only one I did, I was a Prison Officer. ?

Just received my first 35cm brush - Sill XTREME Brush - DuPont TaperTec Hybrid, I ordered with 4 x 1.5mm pencil jets to start with, I do have some 50 and 100 degree jets to try but I'll give the 1.5mm pencils a try this week.
@ched999uk can you update with how you get on with the 35cm Xtreme Sill please? I'm on the tip of buying one but holding off for some reason. I've tried a 35cm normal Xtreme which was ok, but would prefer to try the sill version or even the 35cm Ultimate (although the weight puts me off the Ultimate one) ?

@ched999uk can you update with how you get on with the 35cm Xtreme Sill please? I'm on the tip of buying one but holding off for some reason. I've tried a 35cm normal Xtreme which was ok, but would prefer to try the sill version or even the 35cm Ultimate (although the weight puts me off the Ultimate one) ?
Will do. I have it on my clx18 so it will get used for a few jobs tomorrow. It usually has a 26cm Flocked sill brush that weighs 235gms! The 35cm Extreme Sill only weights 165gms (plus 2 extra jets and hoses etc) so it should be quite a weight saving. I will try it on my slx27 later in the week or next week which normally has a 26cm flocked extreme sill brush at 140gms. I haven't got any first cleans booked in for next week so it will only be on regular cleans, although I do have a massive house with huge panes to quote on Monday - so fingers crossed.

Will do. I have it on my clx18 so it will get used for a few jobs tomorrow. It usually has a 26cm Flocked sill brush that weighs 235gms! The 35cm Extreme Sill only weights 165gms (plus 2 extra jets and hoses etc) so it should be quite a weight saving. I will try it on my slx27 later in the week or next week which normally has a 26cm flocked extreme sill brush at 140gms. I haven't got any first cleans booked in for next week so it will only be on regular cleans, although I do have a massive house with huge panes to quote on Monday - so fingers crossed.
Thanks @ched999uk . Sounds like you've got a good week to test it out properly. I like the bigger flocked sill brush, but find sometimes it brushes against the brickwork to the side of the windows if you see what I mean. I love the 26cm flocked sill Xtreme. That and the flocked supreme are my favourite. Good luck with it ??

Interesting!

I'm leaning toward the 1.4mm pencil jets, even though I feel I should be a bit more adventurous and try the fan jets. Might order some of both and see which ones I get on with more. They don't seem too expensive on the Gardiner website.

I am liking the 35cm brush. And having a swivel-neck is a game changer too. Maybe the subject for a different thread.

Interesting!

I'm leaning toward the 1.4mm pencil jets, even though I feel I should be a bit more adventurous and try the fan jets. Might order some of both and see which ones I get on with more. They don't seem too expensive on the Gardiner website.

I am liking the 35cm brush. And having a swivel-neck is a game changer too. Maybe the subject for a different thread.
I tried the blue 1.4mm jets but I thought there was not enough water coming out and it was taking me longer so I went back to the red jets.

Thanks @ched999uk . Sounds like you've got a good week to test it out properly. I like the bigger flocked sill brush, but find sometimes it brushes against the brickwork to the side of the windows if you see what I mean. I love the 26cm flocked sill Xtreme. That and the flocked supreme are my favourite. Good luck with it ??
So my first day with the 35cm Extreme sill brush went well. It covers windows a fair bit quicker than the 26cm brushes. It is light on the pole which does effect the flex on the clx18, by that I mean I have got used to the sideways sway of the 26cm Flocked sill @ 235gms so I could be quite quick and accurate side to side. The Extreme sill is less weighty so it doesn't make the pole flex as much side to side so that's an adjustment for me. I like the 4 x 1.5mm jets but again it's an adjustment as I'm not used to exactly where they are on the brush, so to rinse the odd spec of dirt it takes a fraction longer to aim the jet - no big deal.
I'm not sure on the water flow from the 4 x 1.5mm jets - on the one hand it gives a nice spread on the other hand it needs a bit more of a rinse for some dirty particles. Maybe I need to up the flow a bit (on 66 but that's DI after the pump).

I liked the scrubbing power of the brush but it doesn't splay as much as my 23cm supreme tapertec so not quite as good in reveal corners.

Overall, I like it, I think it will make most windows quicker. Will give it more of a test tomorrow.

So my first day with the 35cm Extreme sill brush went well. It covers windows a fair bit quicker than the 26cm brushes. It is light on the pole which does effect the flex on the clx18, by that I mean I have got used to the sideways sway of the 26cm Flocked sill @ 235gms so I could be quite quick and accurate side to side. The Extreme sill is less weighty so it doesn't make the pole flex as much side to side so that's an adjustment for me. I like the 4 x 1.5mm jets but again it's an adjustment as I'm not used to exactly where they are on the brush, so to rinse the odd spec of dirt it takes a fraction longer to aim the jet - no big deal.
I'm not sure on the water flow from the 4 x 1.5mm jets - on the one hand it gives a nice spread on the other hand it needs a bit more of a rinse for some dirty particles. Maybe I need to up the flow a bit (on 66 but that's DI after the pump).

I liked the scrubbing power of the brush but it doesn't splay as much as my 23cm supreme tapertec so not quite as good in reveal corners.

Overall, I like it, I think it will make most windows quicker. Will give it more of a test tomorrow.
You have got to bump up the flow rate when going from 2 to 4 jets.

You have got to bump up the flow rate when going from 2 to 4 jets.
I think you are probably right although 4 x 1.5mm jets have exactly the same area as 2 x 2mm jets. OK so there are more losses in 4 jets due to splitting the flow, pressure differentials and pipe work but I guess there wont be that much in it. I might have a play this weekend to see what my litres per min are on 4, 2 jets and fan jets at same pump speed.

I think you are probably right although 4 x 1.5mm jets have exactly the same area as 2 x 2mm jets. OK so there are more losses in 4 jets due to splitting the flow, pressure differentials and pipe work but I guess there wont be that much in it. I might have a play this weekend to see what my litres per min are on 4, 2 jets and fan jets at same pump speed.
I think there is alot more friction.

Latest Posts

Back