Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A blip or a sign of things to come!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

A lot are maxxed to the hilt with big mortgages so an interest rise will affect them much more.
Plenty aren't though, yes some windys they'll take quite a hit I agree most likely the younger new homeowners, just depends if they were smart enough to get a decent fixed term when they took out a mortgage

most of the ones I have are in good jobs and have been in their houses for a few years some of mine are 10 year old houses and customers, I've not bothered with the more recent new builds

I think the best way to manage the business is with Direct Debit or standing order. I have 4 now and is definitely the way forward. If one grows slowly and doesn't need to employ then we should be fine. Best advice I could give anyone is buy an Industrial Vac and advertise that you clear gutters at this time of year. The Vac is a money making machine at this time of the year. ?

I’m keeping busy and continue to get new work. I sold a quarter of my round just over a month back as I’m trying to build up closer to home now with family circumstances. My only downfall is I need to put better prices in. But can pay my bills and enjoy myself. But with the rising costs now is prob not the best time to increase them with Christmas and winter on the way. Just going to ride it out until next spring. People always want their windows cleaning. Not everyone but a good majority of people. £10 - £20 once a month on houses. Ain’t that much in comparison to peoples bills. I remember thinking the economy was going to crash as Covid was kicking off and was wrong. It is a worry seeing house prices rise, public services continuing to get axed and tensions around the world. But I think them concerns are shared by everyone and not something you are free of depending on your job role.

I'm not seeing any downturn. Apparently we are getting £370 from Gov so that will help if I'm correct. With the amount of rain we had up here then folk need to maintain their property. I got a call from customer with old bungalow. They said their new windows were leaking and the company that fitted them have went bust. It was nothing to do with the windows but a split slate just above on the roof. I changed a few slates for them to see if it makes a difference free of charge. But a roofer could have said 20 slates need to be removed, new felt added and slates replaced because they had twin holes and charged £250. That's the reason folk like me cleaning their windows because it all comes down to trust.?

Lost a few but gaining more, this is my first business and my first time navigating any real economic downturn as I'm only 25 and the last one happened whilst I was still in school! I'm definitely worrying about it, but perhaps prematurely at this time as I haven't lost any more than I usually would (I have a somewhat of a turnover of customers generally as I'm still building and growing a round, people come and go and the good ones stick.)

Hopefully it'll be alright and as I've said, lots will suffer and lose their homes, businesses, jobs etc before I do.
I wouldn't worry too much. I've been cleaning windows for 17 years- started when I was 17. I went through one financial crisis (2008) and came out unscathed. There will be turmoil, you will get some that drip off, some will go down to a lower schedule - but just keep going. If you have to, go and knock on doors and find some more work. At some point this will all calm down and a new normal will be here. People will always want there windows cleaned - allow yourself to be flexible with your schedule for your customers during this time.

I'm not seeing any downturn. Apparently we are getting £370 from Gov so that will help if I'm correct. With the amount of rain we had up here then folk need to maintain their property. I got a call from customer with old bungalow. They said their new windows were leaking and the company that fitted them have went bust. It was nothing to do with the windows but a split slate just above on the roof. I changed a few slates for them to see if it makes a difference free of charge. But a roofer could have said 20 slates need to be removed, new felt added and slates replaced because they had twin holes and charged £250. That's the reason folk like me cleaning their windows because it all comes down to trust.?
Are you sure it's trust or the fact you do their odd jobs for free.?

It's nice to be nice and all that but you're in business to make money.The amount you must spend on different bits of equipment and doing odd jobs or bits for free I can't see how it's paying.Honestly stick to day in day out window cleaning you'll be better off.

Are you sure it's trust or the fact you do their odd jobs for free.?

It's nice to be nice and all that but you're in business to make money.The amount you must spend on different bits of equipment and doing odd jobs or bits for free I can't see how it's paying.Honestly stick to day in day out window cleaning you'll be better off.
Think you are right, cut a bath panel short today and cost me £40. Fitted a few bits of ply under a washing machine for £30. but made over a ton cleaning windows. Swings and roundabouts. Yesterday I was working outside for new customers and one worked in TV. Wasn't till I was watching the news that I recognised him and charged him same price. ?

I'd be defo concerned if I was getting upwards of £50 worth of work cancelling day to day....

Personally I've not noticed anything unusual.i very rarely get a not today unless it's for a very good reason.

I'm off to the Maldives next week so I'll be giving my customers a break as I'm moving my whole schedule 2 weeks forward.?

I'd be defo concerned if I was getting upwards of £50 worth of work cancelling day to day....

Personally I've not noticed anything unusual.i very rarely get a not today unless it's for a very good reason.

I'm off to the Maldives next week so I'll be giving my customers a break as I'm moving my whole schedule 2 weeks forward.?
Good post apart from the bit where you say you have a ‘schedule’ ???‍?

I stopped doing the text message scenario back in 2011, for the simple fact being that it gives the customer and easy “out” by replying to that text. It’s harder for them to do it face to face. I will never do the text thing again, it’s detrimental even in the good times let alone how we are now.
I only text when I need access via locked gates etc plus am now slowly altering my round from Monthly to 6 weekly to ease the burden on my customers. My theory is I will retain more of them by extending the frequency and also give myself a better life work balance.

I only text when I need access via locked gates etc plus am now slowly altering my round from Monthly to 6 weekly to ease the burden on my customers. My theory is I will retain more of them by extending the frequency and also give myself a better life work balance.
You won’t regret it. When I change to 6 weekly many years back, I noticed hardly anyone cancelled the clean with the excuse of ‘there not that dirty’.

Back