Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on a job underpriced

WCF

Help Support WCF:

James102

Hi so I quoted a huge house with 2 other out buildings I was going to quote it around £150 £100 for the main house and £25 for the two out buildings
As soon as she heard £100 she was oh my your double " my old window cleaner" did it for £50 all three buildings
And she wants all three buildings and another property about 30 miles away to be included in the price now I've just started out so £100 is £100 but I don't know whether I should Just **** it off and not do it because I quoted her I lowered it she was saying how she's in hospital ect and I messaged her later with the quote and she never got back to me till now like 1 month ago nothing so I think she's gone to other window cleaners and quoted her and she's gone for mine which is so underpriced but as I'm starting out do I just grim and bare it?

Hi so I quoted a huge house with 2 other out buildings I was going to quote it around £150 £100 for the main house and £25 for the two out buildings
As soon as she heard £100 she was oh my your double " my old window cleaner" did it for £50 all three buildings
And she wants all three buildings and another property about 30 miles away to be included in the price now I've just started out so £100 is £100 but I don't know whether I should Just **** it off and not do it because I quoted her I lowered it she was saying how she's in hospital ect and I messaged her later with the quote and she never got back to me till now like 1 month ago nothing so I think she's gone to other window cleaners and quoted her and she's gone for mine which is so underpriced but as I'm starting out do I just grim and bare it?
RUN !!! First of all! Why isnt she using her former windowcleaner anymore? Did she hope anybody would do it even cheaper? And if you have to drive that far to complete that job , your initial price sound pretty cheap to me. You will never agree on anything ,its a waste of time and energy. Block her!

I wouldn't drive 5 miles to do a single isolated job never mind 30 miles, sometimes these people try to get you to feel sorry for them just because they are unwell or a family member is along with the fact that with yours she clearly ain't short of money, but some of these people are very greedy which is why they have so much money,

These types need avoiding like the plague whether they live in an affluent area and a big house or a 3-bed terraced house.

If you think your quote was reasonable then stick with it. If you don't get the job there are others out there. As for 30 miles away - that's at least an extra hour driving there and back plus fuel so it should be priced to include your travelling time and fuel.
If she wants a cut price job then I would say she can find someone else.

RUN !!! First of all! Why isnt she using her former windowcleaner anymore? Did she hope anybody would do it even cheaper? And if you have to drive that far to complete that job , your initial price sound pretty cheap to me. You will never agree on anything ,its a waste of time and energy. Block her!
Yeee that's what I'm thinking tbh

I fully appreciate you're new and eager to get work but I assume you started this line of work so you could be your own boss and earn decent money.
This job is the exact opposite of what you set out to do. The customer is telling you what to do so is bossing you and you will just about earn minimum wage doing it.
No I did to have freedom a d to earn more than what I would for a minimum wage job so far it's done that it's just learning what to take on and what to f off I guess

I fully appreciate you're new and eager to get work but I assume you started this line of work so you could be your own boss and earn decent money.
This job is the exact opposite of what you set out to do. The customer is telling you what to do so is bossing you and you will just about earn minimum wage doing it.
Exactly this, I had a customer for over 20 years ask me if I wanted to reconsider my price increase basically in my eyes he was trying to push me into a corner and make me feel like he was my boss in a way and to get me to fold I was having none of it,

We parted on good terms, although his wife was in the garden last week when I was cleaning the neighbours and she wasn't her usually chatty self when I said hello, now my back was initially to her and she would have usually spoken first, I hope their new cleaner is :poop: :ROFLMAO:

If you think your quote was reasonable then stick with it. If you don't get the job there are others out there. As for 30 miles away - that's at least an extra hour driving there and back plus fuel so it should be priced to include your travelling time and fuel.
If she wants a cut price job then I would say she can find someone else.
It was cheap as mate there Georgian doors there bay windows there flakey as **** wooden windows proper pain in the **** windows

From whare I stand in northeast England Sunderland thares no big hoùses you don't say how I property is or how difficult the cleaning is surly the person you bought it from had prices on for round no disrespect but your not qualified to price up a property some houses are better leaving till another day get your round finished then concentrate on bigger hoùses quete a reasonable price don't attempt to do round by yourself I agree with lady she will of got house done for 50 quid a mean if somebody does it for 80 his nearly got weakly wadge seems a bit rum asking for 150 pounds if your down south ovoisley every thing is dearer but you carnt keep losing washes 30 miles is worth the trip if you have other houses behond that your quate was reasonable but not acceptable to the lady you should of phoned person who you got round of and checked in book for how much other window cleaner changed hope ýou round is doable the rains your enemy no day offs çarnt fall behind its time in property that counts just say 2hours very sloe time your quete 150 pounds 75 pounds an hour am just been a realist

@James102 the question I ask is "what's happened to your previous window cleaner?" when they tell you that you are much more expensive than my previous window cleaner.

Then wait for them to answer. They will usually say that he stopped coming. "Maybe it's because he wasn't charging enough?" is my response to that. Of course there could well be other reasons for him to have "stopped coming" such as non-payment, slow payment and being a general PITA customer, but she/he won't tell you that. The price she quoted could have been a price she was charged 10 or 15 years ago, who knows?

As @David K says, this isn't the type of customer who you want on your books, even if you are desperate for every bit of work you can get. Flaky paint on wood window frames is another no no in my books. That's just another level of drama.

Last edited:
@James102 the question I ask is "what's happened to your previous window cleaner?" when they tell you that you are much more expensive than my previous window cleaner.

Then wait for them to answer. They will usually say that he stopped coming. "Maybe it's because he wasn't charging enough?" is my response to that.

As @David K says, this isn't the type of customer who you want on your books, even if you are desperate for every bit of work you can get. Flaky paint on wood window frames is another no no in my books. That's just another level of drama.
Ye I think your right

From whare I stand in northeast England Sunderland thares no big hoùses you don't say how I property is or how difficult the cleaning is surly the person you bought it from had prices on for round no disrespect but your not qualified to price up a property some houses are better leaving till another day get your round finished then concentrate on bigger hoùses quete a reasonable price don't attempt to do round by yourself I agree with lady she will of got house done for 50 quid a mean if somebody does it for 80 his nearly got weakly wadge seems a bit rum asking for 150 pounds if your down south ovoisley every thing is dearer but you carnt keep losing washes 30 miles is worth the trip if you have other houses behond that your quate was reasonable but not acceptable to the lady you should of phoned person who you got round of and checked in book for how much other window cleaner changed hope ýou round is doable the rains your enemy no day offs çarnt fall behind its time in property that counts just say 2hours very sloe time your quete 150 pounds 75 pounds an hour am just been a realist
I never brought a round mate and you haven't seen the property it's a manor house with two other out houses believe me when I say no one is doing it for £50

Latest Posts

Back