Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Air in the pump constantly

WCF

Help Support WCF:

There maybe your trouble beccy lol, no i dont think you'll cause any probs with your system, while learning the ropes i did it loads and always wacked the pressure up to compensate and wandered why from day to day my flow rate would fluctuate......proper annoying.

Nowadays if my flow rate doesn't look right at all i just go and have a drink hahahaha but i can disappear behind a bush for a pee a bit easier than you lmao

I have a trolley system as well as van mount and I've run out of water using a trolley. I had to prime the pump ie pour water down the tube to the pump as the diaphragm had gone dry and stopped working. Don't know how long ago you let it run dry the first time, but I would be tempted to run it flat out for a few minutes as I'd say the air is in your main hose still if like you say it keeps playing up. And don't let it run dry again /emoticons/smile.png

I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks guys /emoticons/smile.png

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed whilst entertaining a toddler /emoticons/biggrin.png

Will do /emoticons/smile.png

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed whilst entertaining a toddler /emoticons/biggrin.png

We have Shurflo pumps with inline strainers attached. These stainers have wingnuts and conical male and female joints to seal the coupling. Sometimes they can leak air if not tightened. We usually nip them up with a small shifting spanner. Also check that the filter bowl is hand tight. It has a seal between the bowl and the filter body and this needs to be in a good condition.

You will only be sucking air somewhere from the tank oulet to the pump inlet. Everything after the pump is under pressure so air can't be sucked in. Jubilee clips can also be a source of an air leak, especially if they are large and have been screwed down to fit. They don't always fit the pipe snuggly.

If the pump is higher than the tank - like in the photo below (that's how I had it for a while ) then once the air gets into the system it will be quite difficult to prime and run ... however if you have the pump fixed close to the floor then the pump it will prime in few seconds regardless if the system has a leak or not - as the tank has its own pressure especially if it's a upright one

Try to keep the battery charged cos sometimes looks like a problem with the pump however the battery could be flat

2014_03_01_14_41_38.jpg

We have Shurflo pumps with inline strainers attached. These stainers have wingnuts and conical male and female joints to seal the coupling. Sometimes they can leak air if not tightened. We usually nip them up with a small shifting spanner. Also check that the filter bowl is hand tight. It has a seal between the bowl and the filter body and this needs to be in a good condition.
You will only be sucking air somewhere from the tank oulet to the pump inlet. Everything after the pump is under pressure so air can't be sucked in. Jubilee clips can also be a source of an air leak, especially if they are large and have been screwed down to fit. They don't always fit the pipe snuggly.
I'll check these tomorrow /emoticons/smile.png

The pump is at the same level as the tank.

I'll try all this tomorrow and take some pics of how I have it all set up /emoticons/smile.png

Beccy, I reckon you are getting air in from the tank outlet when the water sloshes around in there when you are moving.

I put a tap on my outlet so I could turn the water off when travelling. This stops air getting into the pump if the water moves below the outlet.

That's a very interesting theory... And because I'm on a bike there is a lot of sloshing when I go up and down kerbs.

I'll try the other things first though seeing as they're easier lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I presume your up Inverness way otherwise I would have said drop into the shop in Stirling and I'll sort it out. We always use clear hose in set up's as you can see where the bubbles are coming from. How old is the pump as it may be a worn diaphragm. There will be a manufacturing date on the label.

Hey Doug, yep, I'm in Grantown so not really pedaling distance of Stirling! Thanks though.

So this is my system (and it is largely clear hose)

4u6ebe9u.jpg

6e7yguby.jpg

ebytanyd.jpg

dyhu5y4e.jpg

myjy8ahu.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Going by beccy's tank I recon you could be right :thumbsup:

Beccy, I reckon you are getting air in from the tank outlet when the water sloshes around in there when you are moving.I put a tap on my outlet so I could turn the water off when travelling. This stops air getting into the pump if the water moves below the outlet.

Another alternative method you could try beccy is you could do away with using the tank outlet altogether like I do. I have the pump inlet hose through the lid of the tank instead as I use a purefreedom trolley static in my van.

The hose has one of these on the end http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/pure-freedom-trolley-nonreturn-strainer-kit-p-553.html

And to stop the hose curling up inside the tank/container they just put a length of plastic pipe over the hose.

Will not stop air locks though if a tank/container runs out of water.

Also try re-calibrating your contoller then turn the dead end stop to say 45. Then run the pump on 99 without the hose reel conected until all air is bled out and you get a good constant flow of water. Next turn off the pump then connect the hose reel then run the pump again at 99 again even with the wfp conected if you like untill you have a good steady strong flow of water.

I had a simular issue as all it was I hadn't bled the system properly and the dead end stop kept cutting in and out.

Is this a new problem or has it always been a problem? If you keep the tank above half, do you have the same problem or is it just when the tank level drops? My guess is that you keep the tank as low as possible as this would mean less weight to tow behind your bike.

We have found that even when the water level is just above the outlet, the pump starts to suck air rather than water. Our pumps are about half way up the side of the tank.

Sorry guys I have no answers yet.... I haven't had a chance to look at it today. Well that's not strictly true, I had time but got carried away with my new diy trolley project and not a lot else got done lol. I'm worrking tomorrow though so will see what happens.

Smurf, what's a dead end stop? Is that the pressure that it cuts out at?

Spruce, it's a new problem. I used to have to suck the air through about once a fortnight, now it's multiple times per day.

This is odd isn't it. Doug could have a point about the diaphragm, would it be worth trying another pump @Beccy? I keep looking at the pics and my eyes keep getting drawn to the strainer which is on its side.

Back