Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Air in the pump constantly

WCF

Help Support WCF:

This didn't used to happen so often but recently every hour or so I'm having to get rid of air in the system to get it working properly again. I've tightened all the jubilee clips but can't work out what's causing it.
It starts with the pump running when the tap at the pole is switched off, instead of the pump cutting out like it should, then within 10 minutes or so, the flow is down to a trickle and I'm having to stop work tonsort it out /emoticons/sad.png

Any ideas? /emoticons/smile.png

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed whilst entertaining a toddler /emoticons/biggrin.png
Hello Beccy, I have recently had to repair a reverse osmosis system for a printing company, they had this problem also, I traced it down to the poly pipes getting worn in the push fit fittings, I just cut a centimetre back and refitted them, this cured the problem for them, don't know if this might work for you? hopefully it will be a nice easy fix

Sorry guys, I've been neglecting this thread, thanks for all your thoughts.

Right.... Sucking the air through and leaving it running at 99 for plenty of time only worked short term, like it had been when I'd been doing it but for less time before.

I think Jimmyboots might be onto something.... When I'm riding along with half a tank or less, if I go over a bump and then look back I can actually see the water sloshing and air bubbles going up the pipe from the tank. For a while I couldn't work out though why the problem has been happening at the start of a day too, but of course at the end of the previous day, air will have been getting in, ready to cause trouble the next morning, even though the tank is full. So I'm going to look at adding a tap.

I can't help thinking there must also be something else happening too though, as this didn't used to happen so often, so while I'm adding the tap I'll cut a cm off the pipe in case there is also sone wear there as Cromwellian suggests.

Apparently the instruction book for my pump controller is in the shed somewhere, so I'm going to look for that tomorrow and calibrate that. I can see from the diagram on it which 2 buttons to press, but can't figure out what to do after that!

If it's still happening after I've done all that, then I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a new pump. The one I have is old (over 4 years I think) so there could well be a problem with that.

Oh, and should I be moving the strainer so it's not on it's side? Or is that just a case of it looking weird but is still perfectly functional?

/emoticons/biggrin.png

Excuse the short replies & typos... Typing one handed whilst entertaining a toddler /emoticons/biggrin.png

@Beccy, I mentioned the strainer on its side, not sure if it works as well, I don't know? But seemed odd that it isn't in-line with the flow. I'd look at that as a last resort if all else fails personally.

To calibrate; press + and the far right button at the same time for a few seconds. CAL then shows, press the + or - button to set it higher or lower. My pump was running on last week and set mine from 50 down to 40 and the pump shuts off a lot sooner.

I had the same issue when bleeding the system through then carried on working afterwards but it went wrong again after a short while when turning the flow off at the pole. All it was in the end the dead end stop on the controller was set too low.

Is the dead end stop the same as the calibration thing that Tuffers was talking about?

DE shows when the the water has stopped flowing, ie the pump is on, but not pumping water. Like when you turn the tap on (if you use a tap).

DE shows when the the water has stopped flowing, ie the pump is on, but not pumping water. Like when you turn the tap on (if you use a tap).
You should hear the pump make an occasional turn when DE is showing too.

You should hear the pump make an occasional turn when DE is showing too.
If the flow has been stopped, ie tap, kinked the pole hose etc and DE is not showing and the pump is still turning over, it will need calibrating then.

Yeah, sometimes the pump just tries to keep on running when I've turned the tap off on the pole. So definitely needs calibrating.

Latest Posts

Back