Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any people changed their mind

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dear customer,

In light of my previous message, the government have clarified that window cleaners are still permitted to work. Although it isn't ideal I have had a lot of complaints from customers pointing this out and still insisting that their windows are serviced. The demand and number of complaints has been overwhelming so (don't be offended) with sincere regret, I am having to reinstate service. If anyone wishes to remain suspended, please let me know otherwise I will assume that with the many others, you'd prefer me to return. Properties that i would normally walk through to gain access to the rear will only have their front windows serviced with the price being reduced accordingly.

Yours,

<name>
Whatever is written it needs to honest, I wouldn't have thought any of us would have a lot of complaints, 1-2 whingers maybe but that would be it.

If you have sent loads of messages out your going to have to send something along the lines - 

Now that things  have settled down and the government has put together a safe plan of action. As a window cleaner who works alone, who rarely has contact with my customers and as long as I keep a safe distance I.e. 2m away from people, I am allowed to carry out my work. So with these guidelines that I will strictly follow, I plan to continue with your window cleaning service and will be operational again next week. Take care stay safe & let's get those windows gleaming again....

Last edited by a moderator:
As some of the lads here are wanting to U-turn on their previously very strongly worded "I'm not coming" messages, how would you reverse their situations then? - You may not like my reply.. but at least i've tried to give them something to work with. I never said it was perfect.
Honesty is the best policy, you don't have to be brutally honest and give them all the details of your opinions but lying and making up silly reasons, especially making it sound you've got a gun to your head and are being forced to work isn't a good idea.

THL4KEL's response is ideal.

Fair play to you guys that choose not to work . Me personally , I haven’t missed a day , and had no issues .

<snip>

The only person it will affect is you 
But here's the thing.. the virus can stay alive and airborne for hours. You may well be carrying it, exhale it and someone else catches it. Saying the only person it will affect "is you" is rather untrue.

I expect the incoming carriers at the airports thought the same thing - they won't affect anyone else..

Whatever is written it needs to honest, I wouldn't have thought any of us would have a lot of complaints, 1-2 whingers maybe but that would be it.
I would normally agree yes.. but there's windys in this thread desperate to get back out and work. Like i said in my last reply, i never said it was perfect but I was the only one who came up with **something** that could give them a template message to work with. Nobody else did.

If you have sent loads of messages out your going to have to send something along the lines - 

Now that things  have settled down and the government has put together a safe plan of action.
But it hasn't settled - and that's an even worse truth / message to be sending out. Yesterday it was announced that 563 people died to this awful virus - the highest ever and it's not slowed / settled yet.

Honesty is the best policy, you don't have to be brutally honest and give them all the details of your opinions but lying and making up silly reasons, especially making it sound you've got a gun to your head and are being forced to work isn't a good idea.

THL4KEL's response is ideal.
Yes / No. THl4KEL's response is not good at all - now suggesting that it's all settled down while people are dying.. His customers would think he's gone mad / doesn't give a damn. If my window cleaner sent that after a record number of deaths yesterday (563) i'd tell them not to bother coming back again - it's disrespectful.

Lets be brutally honest here.. how many windys do this job because they're the boss, they got ultimate flexibility, can not bother turning up to customers they're miffed with and are accountable to nobody but themselves? Yes I would normally recommend complete honesty but these are unprecedented times and there are windys desparate to carry on working after having just cancelled everyone. The only way to turn that around is to put a positive spin on it - that people still want their windows cleaned. Some custys won't believe it, some won't care, others won't even have read the cancellation text yet or did but completely forgot - human nature and all that.

I never said my reply was perfect.. but like i've also said.. it gave a base template to work from / edit etc.

But here's the thing.. the virus can stay alive and airborne for hours. You may well be carrying it, exhale it and someone else catches it. Saying the only person it will affect "is you" is rather untrue.

I expect the incoming carriers at the airports thought the same thing - they won't affect anyone else..

I would normally agree yes.. but there's windys in this thread desperate to get back out and work. Like i said in my last reply, i never said it was perfect but I was the only one who came up with **something** that could give them a template message to work with. Nobody else did.

But it hasn't settled - and that's an even worse truth / message to be sending out. Yesterday it was announced that 563 people died to this awful virus - the highest ever and it's not slowed / settled yet.

Yes / No. THl4KEL's response is not good at all - now suggesting that it's all settled down while people are dying.. His customers would think he's gone mad / doesn't give a damn. If my window cleaner sent that after a record number of deaths yesterday (563) i'd tell them not to bother coming back again - it's disrespectful.

Lets be brutally honest here.. how many windys do this job because they're the boss, they got ultimate flexibility, can not bother turning up to customers they're miffed with and are accountable to nobody but themselves? Yes I would normally recommend complete honesty but these are unprecedented times and there are windys desparate to carry on working after having just cancelled everyone. The only way to turn that around is to put a positive spin on it - that people still want their windows cleaned. Some custys won't believe it, some won't care, others won't even have read the cancellation text yet or did but completely forgot - human nature and all that.

I never said my reply was perfect.. but like i've also said.. it gave a base template to work from / edit etc.
Tango just to be clear I have not sent any message because I understood clearly from day one what Boris stated.

I'm sure people don't need our advice how to deal with their customers.

Ime going to see what happens at the end of next week , from the government then make a decision, I still have very mixed feelings about it . 
I'm waiting till at least after Easter, personally think we might have a chance to have turned the corner by then. Will more than likely skip April and if everything ok, Government advice etc, start up again in May. 

I'm waiting till at least after Easter, personally think we might have a chance to have turned the corner by then. Will more than likely skip April and if everything ok, Government advice etc, start up again in May. 
I'm the same the Monday after Easter the initial 3 week lockdown is reviewed. Could go 2 ways but listening to the health secretary and head of the NHS today it seems  tighter restrictions may be in place by then. I text almost 400 customers to say for there safety and mine I'm temporarily suspending all cleaning and had relies from almost all and every single one supported it and many said if I had of said I was coming they would have asked me not too. I had lovely messages saying my windows will still be here no matter how many weeks or months and many saying family and life come first dirty windows will wait. The thing that I didnt expect and has blown me away is the amount of people who transferred me money saying they hope it will help me through the coming months. Others who have said they will continue to pay me each month until I can return. I dreaded suspending but now I'm so happy I did if anything i have a stronger trust and relationship with 400 customers than ever and it really restores your faith in people when you get messages and gestures like that. 

I went and cleaned 2 jobs(commercial) on Thursday and Friday doing very short days.

Why did I change my mind ?

For me being full commercial the decision to work or not was taken out of my hands as around 50% or more have phoned or emailed to go on hold.None have cancelled they have just all gone on temporary hold until this is over.How long that is for is any ones guess.I think this will last till around June till people start going back to work(offices & shops).

Last week one of my biggest clients called and said “if I wanted to carry on they would still pay me and with working on large external jobs with no customer contact then they couldn’t see there being a problem”

My decision was made on the fact I don’t need to touch anything other than pole and hose when getting to the job .No doors,gates nothing.I took no food or drink to avoid touching anything unnecessary and wore disposable gloves as soon as I got there which were removed and binned when I left.I don’t come within 20 metres of any one let alone 2metres.

For me I think your in more danger or chance of catching and spreading it going food shopping.

If I was residential I ‘m not sure I would have gone back but I have seen plenty who have.

I don’t think restrictions will be eased after Easter in fact I believe the opposite the numbers will rise and they will tighten these limitations up.

I went and cleaned 2 jobs(commercial) on Thursday and Friday doing very short days.

For me being full commercial the decision to work or not was taken out of my hands as around 50% or more have phoned or emailed to go on hold.None have cancelled they have just all gone on temporary hold until this is over.How long that is for is any ones guess.I think this will last till around June till people start going back to work(offices & shops).

Last week one of my biggest clients called and said “if I wanted to carry on they would still pay me and with working on large external jobs with no customer contact then they couldn’t see there being a problem”

My decision was made on the fact I don’t need to touch anything other than pole and hose when getting to the job .No doors,gates nothing.I took no food or drink to avoid touching anything unnecessary and wore disposable gloves as soon as I got there which were removed and binned when I left.I don’t come within 20 metres of any one let alone 2metres.

For me I think your in more danger or chance of catching and spreading it going food shopping.

If I was residential I ‘m not sure I would have gone back but I have seen plenty who have.

I don’t think restrictions will be eased after Easter in fact I believe the opposite the numbers will rise and they will tighten these limitations up.
My biggest local customer, large social housing / care home provider, has okayed me to continue. I've skipped April but think I might do May. Another 3 care home companies have also okayed me to continue to clean. Not sure about May's residential work though, might offer to clean the 2 pubs I do FOC just in case I can get a sniff of real beer.

I started back last Thursday, having already sent out suspension of service letters to around 50% of my customers, so just concentrating on the other half at the moment. People have been very welcoming at every house that I have been to so far...although I have had one cancellation for tomorrow...asking me to leave it for a few months. I kind of regret my original approach. I Probably should have sat back and let it all sink in before sending out texts and, maybe, I should have canvassed customers as to what their wishes were. I have quite a few family homes to do this week and wonder what kind of response I will get when i text them with details of the windowclean....expecting a few cancellations...might be wrong

Dear Customer,

During these unprecedented times we as a company have been in self isolation for 2weeks and as per government guidelines we are still able to go to work to carry out our services as long as we keep to social distancing and carry out our work alone with no contact with yourselves.

We are working in your area this week and if it is ok with yourself, we can still clean your windows if we keep are distance. All PVC Cleaning and pressure washing etc will only be carried out if we both agree it is safe to do so.

We as a company fully understand everyone’s individual circumstances and fully support your decision to have them cleaned or not.

We therefore are requesting payments be made online where possible details are on are tickets or money to be left out in a safe place arranged between ourselves or collected later to minimise contact.

Again, may we thankyou for your understanding and we fully support your decision and look forward to seeing you as soon as we can

Please stay safe

Kind Regards

Same here. Been doing a few commercials over the past couple of weeks. Can’t bring myself to get out to my domestics just yet although the really local ones I have seen whilst out with the dog have said I can continue but ok if I don’t as they’ve been cleaning their own downstairs windows so don’t mind. Hope they don’t get used to it. Peoples lives are changing rapidly and I can see some big changes after this such as more people workin from home etc. Just hope cleaning your own windows isn’t one of them. One thing I have noticed though is that people have a lot more time for each other. 

Dear Customer,

During these unprecedented times we as a company have been in self isolation for 2weeks and as per government guidelines we are still able to go to work to carry out our services as long as we keep to social distancing and carry out our work alone with no contact with yourselves.

We are working in your area this week and if it is ok with yourself, we can still clean your windows if we keep are distance. All PVC Cleaning and pressure washing etc will only be carried out if we both agree it is safe to do so.

We as a company fully understand everyone’s individual circumstances and fully support your decision to have them cleaned or not.

We therefore are requesting payments be made online where possible details are on are tickets or money to be left out in a safe place arranged between ourselves or collected later to minimise contact.

Again, may we thankyou for your understanding and we fully support your decision and look forward to seeing you as soon as we can

Please stay safe

Kind Regards
Good comprehensive message. I'll be using this thanks ?

Same here. Been doing a few commercials over the past couple of weeks. Can’t bring myself to get out to my domestics just yet although the really local ones I have seen whilst out with the dog have said I can continue but ok if I don’t as they’ve been cleaning their own downstairs windows so don’t mind. Hope they don’t get used to it. Peoples lives are changing rapidly and I can see some big changes after this such as more people workin from home etc. Just hope cleaning your own windows isn’t one of them. One thing I have noticed though is that people have a lot more time for each other. 
People can wash their own cars but don't, people can clean their own homes but don't, people can cut their own lawns but don't... window cleaning is no different.  You always get people willing to pay people to do the jobs that they don't do, or don't like doing or just don't get the time.  One of my first customers got me because he said he got rid of his last window cleaner thinking it was a unnecessary expense, then did them himself and found that it took nearly a full day on a Sunday to do them, he said he now thinks having a window cleaner is worth every penny.

I'm still sitting it out. I've got several reasons relating to health and family etc so I'm not keen on taking risks with this virus.

Boris's idiocy taking so long to react has now put him in hopital. He's the top man with access to the best health care etc and he's in hospital having infected himself and several in his cabinet. Normally these people are considered relatively safe but if they're getting it then we're more at risk.

I'm stayin in. It'll probably still get me but at least i'll have a clear conscience that i did my bit.

Im staying of for at least another 3 weeks, mainly for personal reasons. After that if ee still in lockdown i will be ingormjng my customer i will be round, however itll be by appointment only and no cash payments. That way 5ye balls in there court and although my income will be less, 50% of something is better than 100% of **** all.

I'm still sitting it out. I've got several reasons relating to health and family etc so I'm not keen on taking risks with this virus.

Boris's idiocy taking so long to react has now put him in hopital. He's the top man with access to the best health care etc and he's in hospital having infected himself and several in his cabinet. Normally these people are considered relatively safe but if they're getting it then we're more at risk.

I'm stayin in. It'll probably still get me but at least i'll have a clear conscience that i did my bit.
Im with you mate, the wifes more important to me and due to her low immune system im staying putt

Back