Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Totally agree, this week for me was a quieter week 4 easy days, Monday I cracked on and made a decent wedge so this week I will have lost just under 3 days work, we were due to go on short break holiday in 3 weeks time that's cancelled and refunded, so when the lock down comes in no doubt by the weekend or early next week I won't have lost much in comparison. 

You'll be rolling around in cash on your bed with all your holidays that will be cancelled for you this year ?
Crystal ball stuff - but I just don't see full lockdown coming. This is Britain! Plus the amount of people who need to move about like key workers. And now there is more than half a million people signed up to GoodSAM NHS volunteer scheme, which I've volunteered to do too. Logistically it would be near on impossible to do full lockdown in the UK as it would be counter productive. What's more likeky is that as time ticks on, the numbers rise, the naming shaming on social media (and the backlash that will come from it), the images and stories of death and suffering are seen that people will retreat to their homes more and more. Imagine that Excel centre nightingale hospital that's been kitted out to be a 4,000 bed intensive care hospital and morgue full of people dying. It's empty at the minute but when people see that full the reality will really set it in. Plus the sense of guilt and responsibility people will feel will encourage them to stay at home and stay there. And of course we'll start to hear about more cases and deaths local to us. 4 deaths have been announced in Derby today where I am. This has barely begun. A lot of people are not ready or prepared for the reality that's about to hit. And then the knock on effects that will cause even more devastion. The poor Healthcare guys who are going to have to deal psychological with this. Now and in the future. All the areas of our society that will suffer because they will be of a lower priority. People in care, homeless, elderly, vulnerable, etc. We literally have even seen the start of this yet. 

Crystal ball stuff - but I just don't see full lockdown coming. This is Britain! Plus the amount of people who need to move about like key workers. And now there is more than half a million people signed up to GoodSAM NHS volunteer scheme, which I've volunteered to do too. Logistically it would be near on impossible to do full lockdown in the UK as it would be counter productive. What's more likeky is that as time ticks on, the numbers rise, the naming shaming on social media (and the backlash that will come from it), the images and stories of death and suffering are seen that people will retreat to their homes more and more. Imagine that Excel centre nightingale hospital that's been kitted out to be a 4,000 bed intensive care hospital and morgue full of people dying. It's empty at the minute but when people see that full the reality will really set it in. Plus the sense of guilt and responsibility people will feel will encourage them to stay at home and stay there. And of course we'll start to hear about more cases and deaths local to us. 4 deaths have been announced in Derby today where I am. This has barely begun. A lot of people are not ready or prepared for the reality that's about to hit. And then the knock on effects that will cause even more devastion. The poor Healthcare guys who are going to have to deal psychological with this. Now and in the future. All the areas of our society that will suffer because they will be of a lower priority. People in care, homeless, elderly, vulnerable, etc. We literally have even seen the start of this yet. 
Hopefully we will keep it under control....But if we aint got money to keep fed we have to work which may exasperate the situation. Which is why the Government must treat us as they have the PAYE employees.

How many of you lads will still av the same opinion on working/not working in say 4/5 weeks time, if your still sat on your backsides? Im still working whilst keeping my distance and checking if my customers need anything, especially the old ones.already made a dozen trips to shops,p.office and ******** on mercy missions.mentally working helps me and im getting reg exercise whilst help others,and getting a income instead of having to claim bennefits. This is just my opinion tho. Stay safe.

So that only applies if you're self employed and worked hard all your life. The fact I've worked 2 jobs for the past 9 years means I have enough money to sit on my @rse for months because of this I shouldn't receive anything?

Those rules don't apply to those that earned £5k a week on PAYE, but should for the self employed? Very hypocritical of the Government and people who think this way.
I was really aiming it at and generalising those that are very well off, thinking of the likes of those over Wynyard in £1 million plus houses for those on here that don't know I live in the North East of England and couldn't afford a garage in the grounds these homes.

I feel the same as you my wife and I have worked hard in our 21 years together and made sure we have always had savings when we could save and never asked for any help other than when I broke my back 17 years ago when we had nowt and we needed help I got very little and my wife had to work 6 days a week and I had to go back to work 3 months earlier than I should of against medical advice, I very much like you mate don't want to have to be forced to blow our savings to get by and ultimately be penalised for working hard and paying into the system like every other hard working person. 

As much as morally you should stay home some windies don't have the luxury.

Especially new ones.

Ypu can sympathise with the general public all you want and may not lose your house but if you can't feed your family (which is why we all do this job) then your family will suffer.

There has to be a certain amount of selfishness from some who are looking out for their own.

Just because so called morality makes you want to stay home some will have no choice.

Queue the backlash but I am very thick skinned.

- but I just don't see full lockdown coming. This is Britain! Plus the amount of people who need to move about like key workers
Key workers like my wife will be out working just like right across the world, these won't be included in the lock down otherwise people will be left to die including us as there will be no food 

I was really aiming it at and generalising those that are very well off, thinking of the likes of those over Wynyard in £1 million plus houses for those on here that don't know I live in the North East of England and couldn't afford a garage in the grounds these homes.

I feel the same as you my wife and I have worked hard in our 21 years together and made sure we have always had savings when we could save and never asked for any help other than when I broke my back 17 years ago when we had nowt and we needed help I got very little and my wife had to work 6 days a week and I had to go back to work 3 months earlier than I should of against medical advice, I very much like you mate don't want to have to be forced to blow our savings to get by and ultimately be penalised for working hard and paying into the system like every other hard working person. 
That is the problem.. never signed on or claimed benefits in my life.. even tax credits got told to jog on with how they pay people then get it wrong and leave you in debt paying it back.

Always been self sufficient and don't cost the country anything to look after me but looks like I'm gonna be thrown on the fire along with the rest of us.

How can that be right when we are the ones who save the country money and do it all ourselves. 

Especially new ones.

Ypu can sympathise with the general public all you want and may not lose your house but if you can't feed your family (which is why we all do this job) then your family will suffer.

There has to be a certain amount of selfishness from some who are looking out for their own.

Just because so called morality makes you want to stay home some will have no choice.

As I said, I agree with those that HAVE to work as they have no savings etc.

But I don’t agree with those that have thousands in the bank and know they can easily survive financially for a few months.

I’m also thick skinned, but opinions keep this forum going ?

Hi, fantastic site, thanks for the information provided. I am in total agreement with NOT working. I have a family so I want to protect them, if I was to touch something whilst out and passed it on I could not live with myself. Also the Gov is saying stay home and for a reason. My friend is working at a huge place in London setting up thousands of beds, he says it’s scarey and upsetting to see what the NHS is expecting. IMO I am putting myself in to financial meltdowns now by not working but I am happy I’ll be safe and keeping my family safe and others. I Don’t want to be that man out walking about when most decent people are at home. Yes we have assholes not staying in and not social distancing that’s a shame. We all stay home we get rid of this virus faster. A few months of loss work compared to getting I’ll or passing it on is worth it. Also not sure if my one seen local FB pages but many cleaners gardeners have people taking pictures and putting online shaming, be care you do not tarnish your name. Irreversible!  Stay safe and hope everyone can get the support of the government to get us through. Going to be hard for many of us. I just cleared all my debts and tax. Dine it wrong time as skint now was liking forward to earning and building money up and debt free. ?

I wouldn't meet anyone when working as I'd already told all customers to open all gates before I arrive and I  wouldn't be taking cash payment. Therefore the risk of me being infected and then transferring it is the same as just going shopping once a week.

If that is dangerous why the hell is the Government telling me to work?
I tried the same last week but sadly not everyone listens.

Because they want you to catch it, they are only trying to slow the virus, they are putting the economy above your life. 

Interesting quite from that article:

You should perceive your entire family to function as a single individual unit; if one person puts themselves at risk, everyone in the unit is at risk. 

Especially new ones.

I agree ??

I’ll bare my finances for people to see. Just to give an example of the kind of situations some people may be In.

I have £164.11 in the bank and £29.15 in savings.

In the next 7 working days I have £495 private rent, £70 credit card debt and £17 water bill.

Plus have to buy food and essentials.

Thats just the essentials not including the £38 internet/phone. And £70 insurance to be paid the week after.

(Wife’s work has been cancelled)

I know some people are going to say I should’ve saved or worked harder or whatever, but not everyone is always in a position where they can save for a rainy day.

So personally I’m going to have to work this and next week. Not because I want to.

Simply because I have to.

I truly do feel sorry for people who are effected by the virus and all the videos of people asking to stay home do upset me.

But what else can I do until self employed people are helped out?

Come on guys, lets not panic.

It is what it is, we are alive at the moment. In the next 2 or 3 weeks we are going to see deaths spiral. Don't be foolish this is going to be what..12 weeks possibly  3 or 6 months of financial inconvenience out of your whole lifetime?

Lets be clear about this, YOU STAY AT HOME YOU REDUCE THE RISK OF THE VIRUS SPREADING.

Yes its legal for you to go out, and clean windows, but the risks are 100% less if you do not go out. 

Its only got to take one lapse of judgement, accepting a cup of tea for example, or a biscuit. Someone could have coughed on the outside of the cup, sneezed on the plate. They could give you cash that's contaminated with virons, you could touch something that is contaminated, there are so many variables.

Everyone is on the same boat, you are not going to become homeless, the government has done everything it can to help. 

Just focus on being safe, please its just not worth it. 

If you have customers that insist on having their windows cleaned; they don't care about you or anyone else.
Lol who the hell is going 2 accept a cup of tea while this is going on Take hand sanitiser with you clean your hands after you touch money if you use your brain you should be okay I’m going out because I believe in my heart that I can keep myself and the customers safe if you believe u Cant u shouldn’t  go Lots of people clever people are saying you can go out as long as you practice social distances PS I use Poles I will not be touching any services that my polls will be touching including Gate I won’t be using my hands dr Hilary said this morning is the scenes on the Tube trains that need to stop them big gatherings not one-on-one 2 m away come on people

As I said, I agree with those that HAVE to work as they have no savings etc.

But I don’t agree with those that have thousands in the bank and know they can easily survive financially for a few months.

I’m also thick skinned, but opinions keep this forum going ?
Never said you didn't ginge lol.

Once this is over we'll have to have a trip to brick lane for a ruby.

Lol who the hell is going 2 accept a cup of tea while this is going on Take hand sanitiser with you clean your hands after you touch money if you use your brain you should be okay I’m going out because I believe in my heart that I can keep myself and the customers safe if you believe u Cant u shouldn’t  go Lots of people clever people are saying you can go out as long as you practice social distances PS I use Poles I will not be touching any services that my polls will be touching including Gate I won’t be using my hands dr Hilary said this morning is the scenes on the Tube trains that need to stop them big gatherings not one-on-one 2 m away come on people
The other day I had an old guy chuck me a 20 and whilst still holding it he said "wouldn't be surprised if I have this ****** as I feel really rough"

Walked straight to the van and washed my hands and the money with alcohol gel.

Some old people don't get it which is why bacs/gocardless only or cash left somewhere and I can keep it clean.

If you have to work just use your noodle.

But I don’t agree with those that have thousands in the bank and know they can easily survive financially for a few months
These savings are also my Pension, so when I spend £5k of these it means I have £5k less for my pension. I know I'm younger than you but I don't have much time left before I am forced to retire so would prefer my savings, that I've worked hard for and paid tax on, to stay where they are. 

If the government clearly says window cleaners can carry on but safely. I mean boris or on the gov site clearly stated. Would you go out, would that be the trigger it’s ok or would you not go and seek help from gov? I think morally it’s wrong now and dangerous to ya and our families. Also the trend in FB if people taking pictures and saying why is this guy or girl out cleaning! Signed vans, destroyed business image locally. 

I agree ??

I’ll bare my finances for people to see. Just to give an example of the kind of situations some people may be In.

I have £164.11 in the bank and £29.15 in savings.

In the next 7 working days I have £495 private rent, £70 credit card debt and £17 water bill.

Plus have to buy food and essentials.

Thats just the essentials not including the £38 internet/phone. And £70 insurance to be paid the week after.

(Wife’s work has been cancelled)

I know some people are going to say I should’ve saved or worked harder or whatever, but not everyone is always in a position where they can save for a rainy day.

So personally I’m going to have to work this and next week. Not because I want to.

Simply because I have to.

I truly do feel sorry for people who are effected by the virus and all the videos of people asking to stay home do upset me.

But what else can I do until self employed people are helped out?
We are all not here to argue, we all think differently and I understand everyone’s points, it’s nasty situation we all in. I hope everyone gets through, I feel for all my fellow window cleaners as we are in the dark. I’m just choosing not to work morally as want to fight this thing and get back quicker to work. 

If the government clearly says window cleaners can carry on but safely. I mean boris or on the gov site clearly stated. Would you go out, would that be the trigger it’s ok or would you not go and seek help from gov? I think morally it’s wrong now and dangerous to ya and our families. Also the trend in FB if people taking pictures and saying why is this guy or girl out cleaning! Signed vans, destroyed business image locally. 
Yes, If help was available i wouldn’t  be working. I feel guilty going out as it is at the moment. I would seek help from gov instead.

But at the moment Legally I CAN work, and financially I HAVE to work. I don’t have another option.

Good side is I don’t have social media so don’t have to worry about FB etc, and most of work isn’t in my town

Back