Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

being a new business , we do not qualify for the self employed scheme , however I still think staying t home is the right thing to do. Just got to take it on the chin.
And if your in the derby area and need any work when we back I can sort a bit for you to help you out. Topman ?

How could we catch it from a customer? I'm talking of wfp work so we are outside and don't even touch there windows. That's why Scotland is still allowing us out.
So you open the gate, touch your wfp, clean their windows, close the gate, change the gloves. Next house, touch gate, hold wfp, close gate.

Unless you sterilise your entire pole, all sections and clamps at each house you are spreading from gate to gate and the handles on your van etc.

Inevitable also your wfp rubs against your coat or t shirt, will you change that on every job.

To say there is no risk is ridiculous. Ill admit it is low risk, but there is risk and every time you do another job it multiplies.

I would imagine you will have to put this through your accounts as normal as it is for self employed. Bear in this mind when you work out money in your account you will have to 'save' 20% for the bill. 

If you don't earn much more in the next tax year then in theory yes but this money is spread over 2 tax years remember. 1 month in 2019/2020 and two months in 2020/2021.
Not if you don't get the payment till June

And you need money to eat so work is essential if you're not eligible for any help.
Work being essential to you and work being essential work are two different things

Agreed its far higher risk actually . 

I don't get why people are struggling with this .

Why its different is YOU HAVE TO EAT DONT YOU  …….you don't have to have your windows done  ( and just for part timer and the moderator im not shouting just under lining the key point ) .
Also you maybe go to the shop once a week, not 150 times

And you need money to eat so work is essential if you're not eligible for any help.
I agree it is a small risk but if you need to work you need to.

You're in the fire service aren't you?

My mum was for years and I know you guys understand infection control and ppe etc.

I have adr licence 6.1 and 6.2 which means I completely understand toxic and hazardous waste rules and ppe. and can be safe but now I'm gonna get 80% I'm staying home but was working this week and still would be if I had to.

Im Trad and it has far more risks to it than WFP agreed with the virus .

But to anyone who thinks WFP is safe here is a list of possibles .

1. Dragging hose on floor this is making contact with a floor .Have we all seen people clearing there noses straight on to the floor and spitting on the floor absolutely disgusting habit . Do I need to explain anymore .

2. Stumbling and putting your handout to steady yourself and touch a contact point .

3. Breathing while infected near upvc 

4. Ringing doorbells 

5. Moving bins and any obstacles that are in your way ( plz don't tell me you don't ) 

6. Opening the gates.

7.Wearing the same gloves constantly even though you don't touch your face and you don't become infected , if your gloves have picked it up everything you touch after will get it . It LIVES for 3 days on HARD PLASTIC remember this .

8.You constantly wind your hose back at the same contact point with infected gloves .

It goes on and on and on 

STAY AT HOME !! 

Honest to god I have what I call a sheep dip bucket in our porch that contains fairy liquid and bleach everytime I come in I wash my hands and take my shoes off and rub the door handle over . I now even walk the dog in the local forest and not round the local park where there are more people spitting on the floor . While I can get away with travelling there . So much conflicting advice its far safer to go to local forest than walk her round the block because of what I have said earlier .

The above list is what makes Nicola jimmy kranky sturgeon look like a complete idiot and the bloke that's pushing a pen and sat in a tie that's advised her a total **** .

Last edited by a moderator:
Im Trad and it has far more risks to it than WFP agreed with the virus .

But to anyone who thinks WFP is safe here is a list of possibles .

1. Dragging hose on floor this is making contact with a floor .Have we all seen people clearing there noses straight on to the floor and spitting on the floor absolutely disgusting habit . Do I need to explain anymore .

2. Stumbling and putting your handout to steady yourself and touch a contact point .

3. Breathing while infected near upvc 

4. Ringing doorbells 

5. Moving bins and any obstacles that are in your way ( plz don't tell me you don't ) 

6. Opening the gates.

7.Wearing the same gloves constantly even though you don't touch your face and you don't become infected , if your gloves have picked it up everything you touch after will get it . It LIVES for 3 days on HARD PLASTIC remember this .

8.You constantly wind your hose back at the same contact point with infected gloves .

It goes on and on and on 

STAY AT HOME !! 
4. I've avoided ringing Bells for weeks, but some still forget to leave their gate open so you end up ringing. Also when I got to some gardens kids running around etc.

5. I saw something a binman has said that they touch thousands of bins throughout the day and the virus lives on plastic for ages. So if you touch one bin with your fresh gloves you might as well give everyone in the street a handshake.

7. You can use disposable gloves, but even then straight away your touching the pole and hose with the fresh gloves that you just touched with the dirty ones and dragged all over the floor.

I agree it is a small risk but if you need to work you need to.

You're in the fire service aren't you?

My mum was for years and I know you guys understand infection control and ppe etc.

I have adr licence 6.1 and 6.2 which means I completely understand toxic and hazardous waste rules and ppe. and can be safe but now I'm gonna get 80% I'm staying home but was working this week and still would be if I had to.
I good decision even with your experience in safety. This virus has the worlds leading virologists scrambling. It has caught the medical scientists out hence every country dealing with it differently. The one uniform advice the world over seems to be stay at home, reduce the odds.

Yup if your in that bracket its really hard I agree . Hve you tried UC and an upfront payment ?
Single man, PAYE so no help available. Recently gave up the Lions share of marital home as adult children are disabled and their needs and their mums I thought were greater than mine. 50 years old, desperately working every hour to cover the rent, bills and trying to give myself a chance of having my own place again and not a room in a shared house.

Government minister said if you can work in isolation and maintain the social distancing rules then you should work. That's good enough for me. Some customers will want to leave it and that's fine but I'll do what I can.

I am sure this will upset a few and this is not aimed at anyone in general or on here.I appreciate that some are new to this or the main income provider for their house or they may have been off ill and generally struggling and I feel for them.

But the  amount of so called big hitters and braggers, the £300-450 a day bunch that are struggling after 4 days and trying to justify going to a work is a joke.

I am full commercial it has hit my business like a train.

The amount of uk window cleaners even near me who are reposting videos of Nicola Sturgeon saying they can work are the exact same ones who would cry and be up in arms if a window cleaning licence was introduced down here like they have in Scotland.

You can not break the chain of a virus if you don't isolate and keep yourself away from it, it's as simple as that.Until a vaccine is found isolating and minimising contact is the only thing to slow it down.China had a complete total lock down and it took them 3-4 months.We are a very long way from ending this here.

The government aren't going to be giving money away for nothing for us to sit at home. Once this is all over the chancellor has already said they want it back so a tax increase will be very likely for the self employed.

Take care.

Single man, PAYE so no help available. Recently gave up the Lions share of marital home as adult children are disabled and their needs and their mums I thought were greater than mine. 50 years old, desperately working every hour to cover the rent, bills and trying to give myself a chance of having my own place again and not a room in a shared house.

Government minister said if you can work in isolation and maintain the social distancing rules then you should work. That's good enough for me. Some customers will want to leave it and that's fine but I'll do what I can.
Honestly if I was in your position and I know its bloody hard .

I would not go OUT into the community as a window cleaner door to door . 

If you have to work there screaming for people in the food industry esp and maybe nhs . Yes I know going to work is actually adding to it but there is a lot more morality in working in something that is ESSENTAIL to keep us all going like the nhs and food industry that is where I would look if I was that desperate for money and could not claim .

Good luck to you .

I tell you something I was beginning to think  I was virtually alone on here with the forum regulars but some recent posts have really made me feel great again …………...HOPE !!

Back