Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Back pack trolley - water shortage hack

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm not trying to troll, but why can't people see that a van mount is quicker than these bloody backpacks? I've got a mate who uses a trolley all day, he looks so unprofessional pulling it round. Saying that he's a scruffy bleeder anyway ?
Thats a bit harsh? why do you look unprofessional with a trolly? There brilliant, tbh.  maybe i look up professional then, ok, window cleaner meat to look professional end of the day we all stand with a brush and 0 pure water coming out, whats the difference at the delivery point? the only difference is one pulls form a van, the other pulls from the trolly. 

I don't think most customers give a monkeys what we use whether it be a trolley or a van mount.. Most of my customers are never home to see what is used... Maybe clued up commercial clients might pay a bit more attention.
I dont think they do, I think a customer wants a guy who is reliable, polite and good at what they do....why would they care or no what the difference is, there is no difference, you stand with a pole and brush and clean a window, its simple.  You would never no who has a van or a trolly when we all clean at the windows...

Thats a bit harsh? why do you look unprofessional with a trolly? There brilliant, tbh.  maybe i look up professional then, ok, window cleaner meat to look professional end of the day we all stand with a brush and 0 pure water coming out, whats the difference at the delivery point? the only difference is one pulls form a van, the other pulls from the trolly. 

I dont think they do, I think a customer wants a guy who is reliable, polite and good at what they do....why would they care or no what the difference is, there is no difference, you stand with a pole and brush and clean a window, its simple.  You would never no who has a van or a trolly when we all clean at the windows...
Where did I say that a customer doesnt want someone  reliable polite competent? 

You have basically stated what I already said regarding equipment.

Wow, i try to post a helpful tip for others in the same boat as me and look at all the negativity that has surfaced! I'm somewhat stunned!

@THL4KEL Mr Clean was merely pointing out further support for what you've said. He wasn't slating you.

Should I ask the mod to remove all the replies so far in this thread? - All i wanted to do was contribute something positive but it's clearly leading to a lot of negativity.

Wow, i try to post a helpful tip for others in the same boat as me and look at all the negativity that has surfaced! I'm somewhat stunned!

Should I ask the mod to remove all the replies so far in this thread? - All i wanted to do was contribute something positive but it's clearly leading to a lot of negativity.

Don't worry about it, just different opinions expressed in different ways, no one has been killed.

No there is nothing wrong with said thread. Quite informative IMO. 

I started with a ladder and £1 bucket from B&Q so a trolley would have been luxury. 

My personal take on trollies and backpacks is well documented as a waste of time again IMO 

HOWEVER if that's the means that the budget allows at present then go for it. 

I know a few windies that have full van mounted systems all the bells and whistles and are still scummier than some lads working out the back of an Astra Estate I know. 

So the addage of 'Clothes maketh the man' does not apply in this game. 

You do what needs to be do be done to make a living, makes you no less a man the tools you use to do it. 

Keep the conversation cordial please. 

Well as an update to this idea, both units sit on the trolley while full (I did add a second bungee) however when one gets empty (as it will) then they start to move and become a bit unstable. Luckily today was the first time i've been out in ages - and noticed this little problem before anything became drastic and managed to save the barrel from slipping off! Oddly taking it around the back lawn - full of lumps and bumps - never revealed this problem and i literally did my best to make both units fall off.

Experimentation will continue to find my perfect trolley setup however I have a hunch I will be bringing back a 68L plastic box from B&Q to put both in and hold them onboard together that way. Today though i didn't actually empty the BP so I might not even need to take a spare water supply with me..

Will keep posting..

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you need two units with you at all times to complete a job. Why not just park outside the house, use the back pack them return to motor and refill by vehicle then go and finish of the back of house.

Well when canvassing it'ls a bit of a bugger driving from one house to the one next door - especially when there's cars parked everywhere LOL.

With that said, the last couple of places i've done I've kept the flow rate down and just scrubbed fast. 

So your doing the windows immediately after canvassing them? 

I just arrange a day when I will comeback and do them. I never do any job in the first instance. 

So your doing the windows immediately after canvassing them? 

I just arrange a day when I will comeback and do them. I never do any job in the first instance. 

Need the cash mate so yeah, immediate wash the moment they say yes! That way i'm not wasting petrol going there twice.

Need the cash mate so yeah, immediate wash the moment they say yes! That way i'm not wasting petrol going there twice.
Obviously it's up to you mate but I find it's easier to schedule them in for a day or two, then you can go round the whole area and get yourself a set date for that run. If you have a few, petrol costs shouldn't really be an issue unless you're going miles away.

Obviously it's up to you mate but I find it's easier to schedule them in for a day or two, then you can go round the whole area and get yourself a set date for that run. If you have a few, petrol costs shouldn't really be an issue unless you're going miles away.

I drive a 1.8 petrol auto - autos are horrendously thirsty compared to manuals so petrol costs are indeed an issue for me. I've managed to maximise my mileage using engine braking and for the final stop, neutral and then the foot brake. My MPG has almost doubled but it's still a tad too thirsty for me.

Reason I like to wash on the day is simply because 1) I need the wonga asap and 2) i can let them see i've got my gear ready to go. I'm a terrible salesman so having the trolley, back pack and pole in visible sight just adds to my ability to sell my service. I don't mind carting it about, gives me a bit of exercise. Only snag is on uneven / bumpy pavements the back pack / barrel side by side thing starts to become unstable with the barrel opting to try and go overboard - worked fine on the bumpiest garden lawn ever but not on a smoother pavement - weird. Anyhow the last few places i did I kept it turned down low, scrubbed like my life depended on it then turned it up for rinses. Worked well enough like that and i came away with spare water.

I am still mulling over a large plastic crate to put the BP and barrel in though - then strapping the crate to the trolley instead..

There is an attachment you can buy that connects your pole hose direct to a customers hose reel (if they have one) This is a lifesaver for first cleans, more so if you are a backpack user. Use the custys water to give all the windows and sills a wash, then do another lap of the house cleaning just the glass with your pure water. Got mine from gardiners for about £10 a while back but cannot see it on their website now. 

I am in the process of putting together a van setup myself. Fed up of pure backpack use and my back does not thank me :) 

I am lucky as we already run a cleaning business and have some cash flow. But even then i am trying to do it as cheap as possible. Reason being (with the exception of a heated system) it is all you are doing is pumping water from a tank to the end of a pole. Now you can spend several thousands, or DIY it for around £700 (my guestimate to how much mine will eventually set me back. 

Yeah I've been mulling over a customer tap option for first cleans but I don't have enough hose (at present) that would reach around front & backs of houses. With that said, more hose would be a better option and I do need to order from Gardiners again in the next couple of months as i need some other bits to make life easier. Stuffit, yeah you've talked me into it.. I'll grab the adapter too.

recently on this job I just had their tap water in the backpack first, used till needed and then emptied it thorough and filled with pure.

recently on this job I just had their tap water in the backpack first, used till needed and then emptied it thorough and filled with pure.
That is one way of doing it. 

But It takes time and effort going back to fill up the backpack and also you would have to rise the pack out with pure water before you wash the windows. Which means wasting precious pure (when your backpack only)  

That is one way of doing it. 

But It takes time and effort going back to fill up the backpack and also you would have to rise the pack out with pure water before you wash the windows. Which means wasting precious pure (when your backpack only)  
yeh true. Dont often do it luckily. I have got a longer length of minibore with attachment to use garden tap. On the end though is a rectus fitting for the pole, however, got exceed connect on the pole now so need to get more exceed connect fittings really.

This is the adaptor I bought from Gardiners.

Can't seem to find it on their site now. As in the comment above there are other alternatives. 

20190511_074504.jpg

Back