Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bankroll needed for first employee & best approach?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PR Cleaning Solutions

Hey guys, 

So gratefully I’m at a stage now where I need to take on my first employee as I am always booked up constantly 6 weeks and people waiting too long so I can’t be efficient enough on my own, I had just a few questions.

firstly would you all recommend having a certain amount of money in the bank before taking someone on, keep in mind I already have all the equipment needed. And would you hire someone as a trainee with a lower wage and promise more money as they get experienced?

secondly how do you guys fit in all the admin, job pricing, booking people in, social media, advertising etc when you are working a full week on site? Keep in mind I have 2 small kids aswell so when I’m home from work it’s all go too. Finding it hard to juggle everything and I’m getting burned out. Would appreciate any advice from anyone with experience in this.

thanks so much

Philip PR Cleaning Solutions

Last edited by a moderator:
It always helps to have a a few months trading expenses in the bank employees need paying  at the end of the month wether customers have paid you or not . 

I have always taken ones on a 3 month trial , that way they will have to prove themselves over a longer period of time during that 3 months either  party can say this isn’t working out thanks but goodbye. When taking them on on a trial period I pay them a lesser rate they need to be up to speed and once they can do the job efficiently they get paid more , I also offer a bonus incentive if certain targets are hit with volume of work done and add on jobs are completed  in a certain time and no complaints are received . 

Admin my wife does , quotes I do either evenings , weekends or whilst working in that area to minimise having to go out of working hours , running your own business isn’t 9-5 job but you don’t want to become a workaholic, we don’t advertise as very well established and constantly turning work away , only have a website ,the rest comes from recommendations, walk ups and friends and family of existing customers. It’s difficult to keep the work life balance right and needs constant re-evaluation , you sound like you have the ability to grow the business but try to remember you run the business not the business run you , easier said than done at times ?? hope it works out ok for you , just be very selective who you take on as this will either make life easier fir you or harder depending what they are like.  

Thanks so much  for the response I really appreciate it. Some really helpful information for me to process. There’s definitely more to running a business than meets the eye that’s for sure, it’s over whelming at times lol.

Thanks so much  for the response I really appreciate it. Some really helpful information for me to process. There’s definitely more to running a business than meets the eye that’s for sure, it’s over whelming at times lol.
Just do what you have been doing on your own and expand it if you need financial advice speak to your accountant, then fir each employee replicate what you have already been doing that’s what I did doesn’t seem so daunting then 

Latest Posts

Back