Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

using a car

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dave_m141

Im all new to the game..Only got myself a few jobs but I am getting better by the day. Didn't think there is any point getting a van to start with as didn't no how it was going to work out.. I just feel like a right plonker in it driving with a ladder on.. Anyone else use just a little car with ladder on?

i know local window cleaners driving micra so no worries what you drive - to get started everything will do

Most customers don't care, there are loads of windies round here doing the same. With a tidy car like that I reckon it looks alright. Maybe get some small magnetic signs if you want to dress it up a bit.

A micra!? Ha I couldn't drive that.. to be honest. I don't think I would even fit in one! Ha
This is my run about 'beast'
Can't see what the what the problem is myself. You've got wheels, so you can earn a crust! :thumbsup:

I was just told by another window cleaner 'oh you look sh#t, you wont get work' . So just thought id ask!

I was just told by another window cleaner 'oh you look sh#t, you wont get work' . So just thought id ask!
when i do knock at ppls door or when clean their windows I never drive my van to their door step - lots of them dont even know what i drive few of them never saw me etc

Yep I thought it may have been another window cleaner somehow.

If you are that worried about looking unprofessional and you want to drum extra work get your car sign written professionally, wear smart branded workware and use branded stationery. It all may seem a bit over the top but first appearances count. Its all free passive advertising too so will soon pay for itself.

I operated a local carpet cleaning service from home many moons ago using an estate car which was sign written and looked the part. I also wore smart branded workwear and used branded stationery and leaflets etc that worked well for me. May I add that was before the internet was born as we know it today. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do get the car sign written also get a professional looking website knocked up and include the web address on it too. You will be surprised how many so say curtain twitchers will want to find out more about who you are and what you do first before they contact you.

I would say the most important thing thesdays is to be on the internet and the likes of @Njones can build you a professional site.

Alot of old school cleaners just clean glass then will charge extra to clean/restore frames. I'm also betting that guy that cleans in your street is really cheap too.:rolleyes:

My website is a work in progress at the mo. Ihavnt done the seo stages for people to find it for a reason.

And yeah I think he is.. he charges cheap and is a right arrogant piece of work !

I get on with most cleaners but you will come across some right nutters in this game.

The get off my patch types can be a pain in the **** /emoticons/biggrin.png

One in particular that I won't metion spent a fortune buying a new van and wfp gear then went around threating everone he seen working in the same street as him. He ended up in court for trashing another cleaners van and trying to beat the **** out of him. Needless to say us cleaners tend to look after each other so lets just say he was put in his place.

Last edited by a moderator:
First rule of this game is to get the work before you spend the cash - - I think a van and nice WFP setup would prob make your days much easier & more productive - - but wait until your round is big enough to justify the expense. Once you've a good number of regular customers on the books and a reliable income, then go for it - - but right now don't get obsessed with the kit, get obsessed with building your round. /emoticons/smile.png

PS. If you want any help with SEO drop me a PM & I'll be happy to offer advice. /emoticons/smile.png

Im all new to the game..Only got myself a few jobs but I am getting better by the day. Didn't think there is any point getting a van to start with as didn't no how it was going to work out.. I just feel like a right plonker in it driving with a ladder on.. Anyone else use just a little car with ladder on?

Cheers pal. Il keep that in mind when it comes to it. I'm pants with that type of stuff!.

And yeah I'm focusing on my round and getting enough work to leave my full time job. I'm putting all my money I earn at the moment back into the business for things such as advertising and extra basic equipment I need.

Thats the sensible way to do it - I've seen a few guys splash out 10k on a van and big system before they even get a single customer - - very few are still in business after 12 months because they simply didn't get the customers fast enough to support the expenses they took on!

I havnt got the money to do that ha hence why fully trad . Im happy plodding about in my car though. I eventually want an astra van or something. And a backpack or trolley to do away with 99% ladder work.

Only when its justifiable.. at the mo I'm happy as a pig in poo with what I have for now.. gets the job don which equals money!

Go for a berlingo/partner van instead of an astra - the extra payload gives you more options & they're a similar price to buy,... /emoticons/wink.png

I built up most of my round without a car. I still don't use one for most of it and only now drive because I needed to extend the area of work to earn more. I have actually been looking at ways to carry ladder on a bike so I stop using one. The customers are happy to get a good job done at a good price. Just do well and you'll get alot of jobs through word of mouth.

Yeah at first I just thought shut up mate why would it make a difference what I drive, then it just sat in the back of my mind..
I have my own company t-shirts already, business cards and everything.. website so in that aspect I would hopefully seem quite professional!

The funny thing is that the window cleaner who does my street( at the moment) is absolutely poo. The frames are always left a state and part of my standard clean is a wipe down of the frames and sills anyway!
Offer tham a free clean, you may show them that you will and can do a better job, my neighbours have w/c, but they do a good job. So im not bothered about it.

Back