Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New house because pole cant get into windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I cleaned windows from a ladder for 24 years before I seriously hurt myself. During that time I had a number of little mishaps that I just reasoned came with the job. I never thought much of them because although I shook myself up a bit I never hurt myself. Instead I tried to learn from them.

However, I eventually did make an error in judgement that resulted in a fall of a little over two metres and destroyed my left ankle. It resulted two lots of surgery, and in total in nearly two years off work.
When I returned to work after the second surgery on it in 2007 I switched to wfp.

I had one customer though who begged me to carry on cleaning hers using a ladder because she said she had a phobia with water. She even offered to pay me extra. So I did. But it was a mistake!
As soon as others saw me doing it they wanted me to go back to doing theirs the same way. She moved shortly after and I decided that was it. At that point I stopped using ladders altogether.
I reasoned, I'm not a fireman risking my life to save people from fire or other dangerous situations, I'm just cleaning windows for a £ or 2 /window. So if it can't be done with a pole they can do it themselves. When I put it to prospective customers politely they will often say something like, 'Yep, I totally get it. No worries. I'll do that one you can do the rest.'

The only ladder I carry now is a short set of steps I use to gain access to bolted gates. But if they are locked I won't climb in. I'm sure I've lost a few prospective customers due to this but I feel a lot safer as a result.

When I see others taking these unnecessary risks I only hope they don't learn the hard way as I did or do something worse.

I cleaned windows from a ladder for 24 years before I seriously hurt myself. During that time I had a number of little mishaps that I just reasoned came with the job. I never thought much of them because although I shook myself up a bit I never hurt myself. Instead I tried to learn from them.

However, I eventually did make an error in judgement that resulted in a fall of a little over two metres and destroyed my left ankle. It resulted two lots of surgery, and in total in nearly two years off work.
When I returned to work after the second surgery on it in 2007 I switched to wfp.

I had one customer though who begged me to carry on cleaning hers using a ladder because she said she had a phobia with water. She even offered to pay me extra. So I did. But it was a mistake!
As soon as others saw me doing it they wanted me to go back to doing theirs the same way. She moved shortly after and I decided that was it. At that point I stopped using ladders altogether.
I reasoned, I'm not a fireman risking my life to save people from fire or other dangerous situations, I'm just cleaning windows for a £ or 2 /window. So if it can't be done with a pole they can do it themselves. When I put it to prospective customers politely they will often say something like, 'Yep, I totally get it. No worries. I'll do that one you can do the rest.'

The only ladder I carry now is a short set of steps I use to gain access to bolted gates. But if they are locked I won't climb in. I'm sure I've lost a few prospective customers due to this but I feel a lot safer as a result.

When I see others taking these unnecessary risks I only hope they don't learn the hard way as I did or do something worse.

Guy round my way took the ladders of his van a few years ago as people were wanting back with ladder, as you say he done one then everyone wanted it in the street . I can honestly say I've not had that problem once since switching and I use the ladder and the pole on the same street sometimes for different houses and not one person has said since they get done with the ladder I want done like that too.

When you have been window cleaning a while and built up a good customer base, you can afford to drop the messers and those who seem to go out of their way to make things difficult.

A window cleaner just starting up usually doesn't have that luxury as they need every customer they can get. That was certainly true in my case.

When you have been window cleaning a while and built up a good customer base, you can afford to drop the messers and those who seem to go out of their way to make things difficult.

A window cleaner just starting up usually doesn't have that luxury as they need every customer they can get. That was certainly true in my case.
And when you finally get to that point it is so enjoyable getting rid of them. It took me nearly 3 years though.

I always just spray through bars. I could get the brush through but its awkward and i cba. Would never dream of getting a ladder out.

If they dont like it they can sack me off and i`ll find an easier house, i really dont care but cant say anyone has ever said anything about it.

I always just spray through bars. I could get the brush through but its awkward and i cba. Would never dream of getting a ladder out.

If they dont like it they can sack me off and i`ll find an easier house, i really dont care but cant say anyone has ever said anything about it.
That's just pure lazy, those panes of glass will be a mess, they take no extra effort at all

That's just pure lazy, those panes of glass will be a mess, they take no extra effort at all

Have one of your workers ever snapped a pole in the bars ?. I don't think I'd snap one but it's likely over time the people you have working for you will as they won't be as carefull. Its no coincidence any damage done throughout the years I probably account for 1% of it and in that time I've paid for sat dishes getting taken of walls. Scratched windows, cars damaged. Gutters parts replaced.

Have one of your workers ever snapped a pole in the bars ?. I don't think I'd snap one but it's likely over time the people you have working for you will as they won't be as carefull. Its no coincidence any damage done throughout the years I probably account for 1% of it and in that time I've paid for sat dishes getting taken of walls. Scratched windows, cars damaged. Gutters parts replaced.
You or your workers must be very clumsy then with 6 staff in total for up to 24 years we have cracked 4 pains of glass and all had existing damage and using hot water , and broken 2-3 outside lights and that’s it . ???

Maybe, but out of the very few i do (maybe half a dozen max houses on my round) no one has ever said a word about it.

Luckily im in the position where i dont have to do any jobs i dont want to do so whilst getting the brush through bars may not be the most difficult thing in the world its still more difficult than cleaning a house without bars. If they dont like it they can find someone else no problem at all i`ll replace them with an easier one. I dont do velux windows anymore either for the same reason. They can like or lump it i dont really care far too busy to do stuff i dont want to do.

We tend to be more slaves of the customer's ideas, than the masters of our own company policies. If I don't do something as a business, I don't do it. It's like someone is going to chinese restaurant to order a proper beef ragu. The staff with a slave mindset will learn from google in the kitchen, how to do the ragu.
I don't do velux, where I say I can't reach it (cables, trees...). I offer cleaning of them from inside. Customers agree, or not. I stick a brush through the bars, I charge almost double on block of flats there, because I explained them already that's time consuming and I can break the pole anytime. They agreed.
If you have a business, you have to be good salesman, not only good diy man. It's your company, knowledge, skills, and so policies, terms and conditions..
With slave mindset in this industry, I would move the lawn, paint fences, replacing gutters, fixing conservatories, vaxing deckings.. and finally I would not be a cleaning or maintenance company, but handyman.

Back