Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing - how do you guys find it

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Picked up another 5 today, had some others asking for quotes but saying they have a window cleaner... they are not happy with him, say he does a poor job and isn’t too reliable... not sure I really want these type of customers or nicking work but maybe should take them for now until I get bigger? Not sure... that’s even if I get the call.

If i take on a new job because the costumer says the old cleaner is unreliable i always say please inform them as the costumer has the choice at the end of the day, we are employed by them & keeping them happy matters.

not sure I really want these type of customers or nicking work but maybe should take them for now until I get bigger? Not sure... that’s even if I get the call.

I wouldn't worry about it. Work is work and customers will always come and go. Some will say the same about you over time and sack you off in favour of another windy - even though you think you're doing a great job. I wouldn't worry about it. For the time being take the work, get paid, move on. If they keep you coming back for more work for a while then that's great too.

Well done on the extra 5  :1f609:

Picked up another 5 today, had some others asking for quotes but saying they have a window cleaner... they are not happy with him, say he does a poor job and isn’t too reliable... not sure I really want these type of customers or nicking work but maybe should take them for now until I get bigger? Not sure... that’s even if I get the call.
Well done on 5 new customers :) How long did it take you? 

Definitely wouldn't not take customers because they have a current window cleaner. If their window cleaner isn't leaving their windows clean, then they aren't doing their job properly and the customer should rightly be looking for another window cleaner.

I have quite a few customers who had previous window cleaners at the time and they've all been sound, other than one who I could sort of tell were going to be annoying. Saying how they didn't think WFP got into the corners of their windows. Cleaned them the first time traditional and left a few marks (went back to look at them and they weren't bad at all to be honest). Guy said he might as well just get his hose out and "give them a blast" himself in his own words. I laughed and said, you enjoy yourself mate and walked off ?

I shall tell you a story. In the early days we took on a whole close of houses once. Approximately 6 out of 8 houses in the close. Offered very basic rates for the times as we were round building and un-established shall we say. Their local windy was very unreliable and they were moaning he hadnt been for about 5 months. We took them on, cleaned them all once, then all six of them dropped us when he decided to make his return. Fair enough i can understand hes been there for years. But then they had the nerve to ring me 2 years further on when so and so had decided to go walk abouts again. Ha ha ha been there before

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done on 5 new customers ? How long did it take you? 

Definitely wouldn't not take customers because they have a current window cleaner. If their window cleaner isn't leaving their windows clean, then they aren't doing their job properly and the customer should rightly be looking for another window cleaner.

I have quite a few customers who had previous window cleaners at the time and they've all been sound, other than one who I could sort of tell were going to be annoying. Saying how they didn't think WFP got into the corners of their windows. Cleaned them the first time traditional and left a few marks (went back to look at them and they weren't bad at all to be honest). Guy said he might as well just get his hose out and "give them a blast" himself in his own words. I laughed and said, you enjoy yourself mate and walked off ?
I do about 4 hours canvassing a day so got them 5 in about 3 n a half to 4 hours. 

Yeah I get the vibe with some of these potential customers (ones who complain about their current window cleaner) that they could be a pain ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do about 4 hours canvassing a day so got them 5 in about 3 n a half to 4 hours. 

Yeah I get the vibe with some of these potential customers (ones who complain about their current window cleaner) that they could be a pain ?
Find it difficult me to do 4 hours straight, did 2 hours leafleting this morning and back home now ?

Personally will probably go with my gut feeling next time I get a customer like that - put me in a bad mood for the day when he said he'd do a better job blasting his hose at the windows ?

Find it difficult me to do 4 hours straight, did 2 hours leafleting this morning and back home now ?

Personally will probably go with my gut feeling next time I get a customer like that - put me in a bad mood for the day when he said he'd do a better job blasting his hose at the windows ?
Yeah tbh I do feel quite worn out after doing a few cleans then canvassing, feel quite burnt out for the day ?

I know what you mean about rude customers they have an effect on my mood too, I know I need to get better at not letting people get to me like that. 

Well i picked up another yesterday - every 3 months urgh... but pleasant lady, filthy windows, openly admitted she'd been wondering how to get them clean for a while. I knocked, job's a good'un.

I only had a spare hour too (had to pick up my lad from nursery) so literally knocked about 8 houses and picked up that one before packing up and leaving after i'd done her windows lol. I thought that was quite a good hours work!

Thing is about human beings (yes even window cleaners), we hate someone saying NO to us. We see it as a form of rejection, It goes back to our childhoods, and probably in our dna makeup. And when you canvass more people are going to say NO to you then accept you with a YES. Just the way it is, so you have to get your head around that they are not giving you a rejection for who you are as a person, it is the service that they are giving a NO to.

My advice is treat it as a game, do NOT take it personally....and most importantly IT IS A NUMBERS GAME...the more houses you knock the percentage of NO,s will far outweigh the YES,s, for example you knock 20 doors and get 19 NO,s and one YES with a say Monthly £10...if you knock 100 doors and hear NO 95 times but get a YES 5 times you then have a monthly £50 x 12 £600...maybe worth hearing a few NO,s????? 
I see it as a no just means you have singled out another who isn't a customer.. It's about finding the customers 

Never see it as a rejection you are just weeding out the people who don't need your services

Back