Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cold water and cold weather.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TimBooth

I've had a complaint that a window has cracked after we cleaned using wfp.

We're using cold water and weather was around zero to one degrees.

I could understand if we were using hot water on cold glass but cold on cold?

Does anyone have experience of this?

I've had a complaint that a window has cracked after we cleaned using wfp.

We're using cold water and weather was around zero to one degrees.

I could understand if we were using hot water on cold glass but cold on cold?

Does anyone have experience of this?
Used both methods for over 10 years and with WFP we have never had a window crack even with water on a rare occassion freezing instantly. More likly one of two things. 1 your using a cheap unprotected brush and the hard plastic surround has made contact with the glass or frame but surly you would here a bang. 2 the building has subsisded a little putting preasure on the window , Once touched it has cracked.
Hope this helps and interested in other comments .

Yeah, no chance that's you mate. Not if those temps are accurate. Windows get rain, ice and snow on them all the time without cracking.

Although it’s unlikely it’s been you, do you do a lot of houses in the street? Is it close to other streets you do regularly? It’s not ideal but if you do a lot there then for the sake of a couple of hundred pound it potentially stops you being bad mouthed all over there local Facebook groups about doing damage and not replacing it etc. Sometimes its better to take the hit than letting it escalate to the other scenario.

We have never cracked a window either.

Many years ago, we noted that the bathroom window opener of a customer we cleaned was cracked along its length. I reported this on our slip as there was no one home. She didn't even know the window was cracked (on the outside) but there was already moisture and condensation between the glass. So the crack was there for a while.
"Sorry, we didn't do it and I have no idea how it cracked."

We did arrive at another job and one of the openers on the conservatory was cracked. The window fitter who later replaced the glass told them the glass was fitted too tight in the frame and movement had caused the glass to crack as it was under stress.

The glass may have already been cracked before you arrived. There is a possibility you didn't see it due to the angle from where you were standing. My son reported a cracked window recently, but was told it had been cracked for 2 years and that the builders who did some alterations did it. But my son had never noticed it. He is usually pretty observant, so to have missed it on every clean after that was surprising.

Last edited:
Although it’s unlikely it’s been you, do you do a lot of houses in the street? Is it close to other streets you do regularly? It’s not ideal but if you do a lot there then for the sake of a couple of hundred pound it potentially stops you being bad mouthed all over there local Facebook groups about doing damage and not replacing it etc. Sometimes its better to take the hit than letting it escalate to the other scenario.
If you go down this route paying for it then tell them going forward find someone else otherwise before you know it you will have replaced every window on there house

Thanks for all the replies.

Customer wasn't blaming us directly but leaning that way. She has since found out that her neighbour (not our customer) has just had a similar issue so it may, indeed, be subsidence or movement.

I did break a window about 35 years ago before wfp when I slipped and my ladders literally "came in through the bathroom window" but that was my fault and I paid up.

Don't mind putting it through the insurance if I know I'm to blame but this time's different.

Thanks to all.

Thanks for all the replies.

Customer wasn't blaming us directly but leaning that way. She has since found out that her neighbour (not our customer) has just had a similar issue so it may, indeed, be subsidence or movement.

I did break a window about 35 years ago before wfp when I slipped and my ladders literally "came in through the bathroom window" but that was my fault and I paid up.

Don't mind putting it through the insurance if I know I'm to blame but this time's different.

Thanks to all.

have you or anyone ever claimed through there insurance ? If so what one. I cancelled my public liability about a year ago and took out a credit card that would cover damage to a property if it happened.

the insurance i had when read the small print told me not to admit to any damage or it could void claim, also wouldnt answer the question when i asked if customer would need evidence, ie ringdoor bell footage Etc for a pay out.

My public liability insurance is just in case I injure a member of the public because of my actions when I'm out and about cleaning.its highly unlikely but it could happen....

You d be mad not to have it as its so cheap!mines around £90 a year for 1 million cover(simply business).i also need it for a group of children's homes I clean

My public liability insurance is just in case I injure a member of the public because of my actions when I'm out and about cleaning.its highly unlikely but it could happen....

You d be mad not to have it as its so cheap!mines around £90 a year for 1 million cover(simply business).i also need it for a group of children's homes I clean
Totally agree, if a ladder is used and blows over in the wind and hits someone on the head a credit card ain't going to cover the costs of a serious injury and potential liable case

If you go down this route paying for it then tell them going forward find someone else otherwise before you know it you will have replaced every window on there house

All my work is in one place, really compact. I've paid for things I know wasn't us just to keep the peace. Also went 50/50 with a customer when any claim would have seen him liable, not me.

In 20 years I've only had to put my hand in my pocket 4 times. Not ideal but it makes people trust you more when you put things right aswell, I'd rathe people have that opinion of me than people thinking I've done damage and walked away from it.

have you or anyone ever claimed through there insurance ? If so what one. I cancelled my public liability about a year ago and took out a credit card that would cover damage to a property if it happened.

the insurance i had when read the small print told me not to admit to any damage or it could void claim, also wouldnt answer the question when i asked if customer would need evidence, ie ringdoor bell footage Etc for a pay out.
Cancelling your public liability insurance and taking out a credit card instead is madness IMO.PLI is NOT for property being worked on....

Besides......relying on a credit card for a few hundred quid repair is not ideal....if you ve been window cleaning for over 20 years you should at least have a fair size emergency fund(£10,000+) behind you which could easily cover the cost of a new pane of glass.

Cancelling your public liability insurance and taking out a credit card instead is madness IMO.PLI is NOT for property being worked on....

Besides......relying on a credit card for a few hundred quid repair is not ideal....if you ve been window cleaning for over 20 years you should at least have a fair size emergency fund(£10,000+) behind you which could easily cover the cost of a new pane of glass.
We have some jobs ware each pain of glass is £3,500-4,000 each and that’s domestic houses not commercial buildings I wouldn’t want to have to pay for replacing one of them that’s why we now have insurance for the glass being worked on never used to bother with normal windows but getting more and more of theses huge sheets on bigger buildings .

I cracked one on Tuesday it was 3pm ish 20 meters of hose out temp set to 64 ?my stupid falt for getting greedy with the heat got a glazer going in a few weeks to replace the pain ? I Hurd the ping then saw the crack appear I’ve had loads of glass freezing up after cleaning and no issues windows can crack at any time
IMG_1099.jpeg

I cracked one on Tuesday it was 3pm ish 20 meters of hose out temp set to 64 ?my stupid falt for getting greedy with the heat got a glazer going in a few weeks to replace the pain ? I Hurd the ping then saw the crack appear I’ve had loads of glass freezing up after cleaning and no issues windows can crack at any time
View attachment 29640
When you take it out look at the edges I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a chip on the edge and that’s ware it’s cracked from , we have done 4 over the years and all had chips on the edge and cracked from there .

Went to clean a customer last week and her large front triple glazed window had shattered the week before, it was the middle glaze and although it shattered it all remained in place wedged between the inner and outer glass it actually looked quite pretty.
she was in the kitchen and heard a very loud bang like fireworks. very odd but as above could have been a number of reasons.

Went to clean a customer last week and her large front triple glazed window had shattered the week before, it was the middle glaze and although it shattered it all remained in place wedged between the inner and outer glass it actually looked quite pretty.
she was in the kitchen and heard a very loud bang like fireworks. very odd but as above could have been a number of reasons.
Good job it went before you cleaned it or she would have been blaming you !!!!!! That would be expensive

@Pjj can I ask what temperature do you run your systems in winter?
Flat out , obviously the temperature will be lower with a 130 meters of hose out and much hotter with 20 meters , I don’t regularly check the temperature but by lunch time you can’t hold the hose when reeling in it’s that hot . Again haven’t checked the tank temperature but it regularly used to be 65-75 degrees even in winter when I did check it .Thats with the Grippatank 9 kw two man set up , the other two vans have Ionic’s thermopures systems and that gets even hotter as it’s one much bigger heat exchanger .

Latest Posts

Back