Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customer excuses

WCF

Help Support WCF:

GerdingA

With the cold weather new excuses can pop up as to why someone may say no let’s leave it this time. Customer, ‘let’s leave it til the cold weather blows over, with the frost you’ll make a mess of the grass’. (I need to put the ladder on the grass to get on the roof which causes divots and they look after their lawn.).
Not good enough IMO! It being frosty doesn’t make a difference, if they’re ok with me going on the grass usually when it’s wet then it being frosty should be fine. I told her building work, being on holiday etc is fine but this is not. If I’m prepared to be reliable in near freezing conditions then you need to let me get on.
I was nice, even though I could of gone on rant (which I am now) after her reply.
Her reply…‘I can’t believe you’d say this to a customer’. She said she was staggered!!
Are people for real?!?!?!? I replied ‘thanks but we just expect different things from one another, thanks for having me all the best’.
People just think, little old window cleaner he must be grateful for what he can get! Nope!! Mess me about you’re gone!

In this present economic climate best not rocking the boat, give them a miss this time.. Probably an indication though that they will cancel cleans in the future if something minor comes up....

We are always one visit away from losing a customer. They employ us, if they decide to miss once or cancel altogether it is their call.
I agree. And equally its our call whether we are 'happy' tolerating this.

When we first started we put up with plenty of this: leave it as the windows are still clean, etc. excuses.
Now I've also come to realised how much of our time a customer wastes by coming up with doorstep excuses to cancel.

We know the ones on our round who are genuinely struggling financially and we will make allowances for those ones, but others who make a practice of last minute cancellations just fall by the wayside. I still practice a 3 strikes policy.

With the cold weather new excuses can pop up as to why someone may say no let’s leave it this time. Customer, ‘let’s leave it til the cold weather blows over, with the frost you’ll make a mess of the grass’. (I need to put the ladder on the grass to get on the roof which causes divots and they look after their lawn.).
Not good enough IMO! It being frosty doesn’t make a difference, if they’re ok with me going on the grass usually when it’s wet then it being frosty should be fine. I told her building work, being on holiday etc is fine but this is not. If I’m prepared to be reliable in near freezing conditions then you need to let me get on.
I was nice, even though I could of gone on rant (which I am now) after her reply.
Her reply…‘I can’t believe you’d say this to a customer’. She said she was staggered!!
Are people for real?!?!?!? I replied ‘thanks but we just expect different things from one another, thanks for having me all the best’.
People just think, little old window cleaner he must be grateful for what he can get! Nope!! Mess me about you’re gone!
I'm glad you brought this up as I too have experienced the same thing this week and didn't know whether I had been a bit to over the top with the way I dealt with it.

Basically I had a new customer in the summer and have been doing them every 4 weeks since without problem. This time though I sent a text the night before saying I'm coming to clean and they text back saying 'Can you leave it this time please'.

I didn't want to just agree as I don't want my other customers trying the same thing (word can get round). I always accommodate for holidays, building work etc and reschedule, come back to do backs of houses etc, so it's not as if I don't give a good service and I'm very flexible that way... but not having the windows cleaned without a reason just didn't sit well with me.

So I text back basically what you said to your customer. I said 'Is there any reason why you want to leave it? The only reason I ask is that the service is a once every 4 week service all year round, the odd holiday or building work is fine, I can work with that, but can't run the business on an as and when required basis as I have to plan ahead. I hope you understand. Regards, Chris.'

The customer then just text back saying 'just cancel it then'

I've cancelled them and wished them well etc but I have wondered whether it came across as a bit too pushy? Like did I come across in a way that would get someones back up?

I'm happy with how my service is, but I want to get the point across without causing offence. I just don't know whether I was a bit too blunt?

Yes you soon get to know who the time wasters are winter brings them out more.Some of the excuses they make it’s hard not to laugh at .Still stay professional and I say is oh I’m sorry i will have to take a customer on who are on my waiting list I hope you understand my position as I have to make a living all year unless you want to pay me for the one you want to miss.

I had one other week messaged to book clean in for next day he replied "Not gonna bother as its gonna snow but thanks anyways" he cancelled time before because apparently car was in way so couldn't get by, his drives massive and plenty of side room all in all he's cancelled 4th time but he'll still be exoecting to pay usual monthly clean price i just drop him off schedule

I'm glad you brought this up as I too have experienced the same thing this week and didn't know whether I had been a bit to over the top with the way I dealt with it.

Basically I had a new customer in the summer and have been doing them every 4 weeks since without problem. This time though I sent a text the night before saying I'm coming to clean and they text back saying 'Can you leave it this time please'.

I didn't want to just agree as I don't want my other customers trying the same thing (word can get round). I always accommodate for holidays, building work etc and reschedule, come back to do backs of houses etc, so it's not as if I don't give a good service and I'm very flexible that way... but not having the windows cleaned without a reason just didn't sit well with me.

So I text back basically what you said to your customer. I said 'Is there any reason why you want to leave it? The only reason I ask is that the service is a once every 4 week service all year round, the odd holiday or building work is fine, I can work with that, but can't run the business on an as and when required basis as I have to plan ahead. I hope you understand. Regards, Chris.'

I've cancelled them and wished them well etc but I have wondered whether it came across as a bit too pushy? Like did I come across in a way that would get someones back up?

I'm happy with how my service is, but I want to get the point across without causing offence. I just don't know whether I was a bit too blunt?
Blunt is fine, if said in the rite way. You seemed more than fair!! People think we should be grateful for what we can get..no mate.
‘since the summer’ isn’t very long to have had them on your books, but is probably long enough to prove your reliability and quality of service.
If they value us as a Service they’ll do what they can to keep a good thing going. This lady has been on my books for a fair few years (was 12 weekly but I don’t deal with that now so put her to 8 weekly) and is underpriced so I was in 2 minds to just get rid in January anyway so had no problem in speaking up. My stance can depend on the days work, is it way over and above what I want to be taking on average. This day is too much (as a one man band) and my schedule is fixed. So she had no lifelines, they were getting done or she can find someone else.

I gotta say it wound me up (her response) but how great is it to be in a position, job wise, where you can just get rid of anyone who thinks they can walk over you. Being self employed is just the greatest thing!!

Last edited:
I agree. And equally its our call whether we are 'happy' tolerating this.

When we first started we put up with plenty of this: leave it as the windows are still clean, etc. excuses.
Now I've also come to realised how much of our time a customer wastes by coming up with doorstep excuses to cancel.

We know the ones on our round who are genuinely struggling financially and we will make allowances for those ones, but others who make a practice of last minute cancellations just fall by the wayside. I still practice a 3 strikes policy.
I’ve had a few people say, ‘monies tight, can we leave them from now on’. Totally fine and they’re the people I respect for going about it the rite way. If they text in a years time, things have picked up du have any availability to start back up?? Then sure, if have space in my diary I’ll go back.
But it’s the ones who think they can pick and choose when they want them done. total no no, never going back.

Yes you soon get to know who the time wasters are winter brings them out more.Some of the excuses they make it’s hard not to laugh at .Still stay professional and I say is oh I’m sorry i will have to take a customer on who are on my waiting list I hope you understand my position as I have to make a living all year unless you want to pay me for the one you want to miss.
I said to the lady, if there’s windows you want me to leave out because of the lawn that’s fine. But I still need to earn what I have on my books for the day.

We are always one visit away from losing a customer. They employ us, if they decide to miss once or cancel altogether it is their call.
Yes but it’s also about respecting that I do this for a living. She said ‘I wanted to see you before Xmas so I could give you your Xmas present aswell’. She usually gives me chocolates. But the bank doesn’t accept mortgage payment in the form of chocolates currently so…

When quoting jobs I stress we work all 12 months of the year and in all weathers within reason , if we get someone say leave it this time and there isn’t a genuine reason I remind them of the verbal contract we agreed on , if they still want to leave it then they are removed from the round and thanked for their custom , when they phone back in the spring wanting us to start again I say sorry your slot has been taken by someone that values our year round services we are fully booked . But to be fair this rarely happens theses days as if I get the slightest suspicion that they will cancel or be a pain I dont take them on , you do need to be firm with customers or they will use you as an add hock service or at least some will experience will help identify theses ones quickly , one tell tail sign is a phone call saying ime getting quotes for tge cleaning of ……….. this always rings alarm bells with me as this is a classic pita customer

When quoting jobs I stress we work all 12 months of the year and in all weathers within reason , if we get someone say leave it this time and there isn’t a genuine reason I remind them of the verbal contract we agreed on , if they still want to leave it then they are removed from the round and thanked for their custom , when they phone back in the spring wanting us to start again I say sorry your slot has been taken by someone that values our year round services we are fully booked . But to be fair this rarely happens theses days as if I get the slightest suspicion that they will cancel or be a pain I dont take them on , you do need to be firm with customers or they will use you as an add hock service or at least some will experience will help identify theses ones quickly , one tell tail sign is a phone call saying ime getting quotes for tge cleaning of ……….. this always rings alarm bells with me as this is a classic pita customer
I used to take a lot of rubbish from people in years gone by but this is my stance nowadays also. Wish I’d of had this policy from day dot but it’s fine, I’m just glad I’m there now.

I used to take a lot of rubbish from people in years gone by but this is my stance nowadays also. Wish I’d of had this policy from day dot but it’s fine, I’m just glad I’m there now.
I was the same in the early days just quickly realised that theses customers were costing me money by cancellations last muinit and my bills still needed to be paid , the situation is Evan more important when employing and paying staffs wages if just a small percentage were to do it at the end of the month it’s a big sum of money , the moto start as you mean to go on is very true , now if this happens 3-5 times a year we have had a very bad year and that’s out of thousands of customers.

I would like to leave all my customers till the weather rises above freezing because I don't need the money. But I feel I'm in a no win situation because half will say what happened to you last month? I will say it was too cold then they will come back and say I wanted my windows cleaned before Christmas because I had guests arriving and had a present for you. The other half won't even notice that I missed them. So I have came to the conclusion I'm going to make every effort to clean them and if they don't want them cleaned then they can tell me so. In the end I maybe a Magician but I'm not a Mind Reader. ?

I would like to leave all my customers till the weather rises above freezing because I don't need the money. But I feel I'm in a no win situation because half will say what happened to you last month? I will say it was too cold then they will come back and say I wanted my windows cleaned before Christmas because I had guests arriving and had a present for you. The other half won't even notice that I missed them. So I have came to the conclusion I'm going to make every effort to clean them and if they don't want them cleaned then they can tell me so. In the end I maybe a Magician but I'm not a Mind Reader. ?
This is my way of thinking too.

On quote I verbally say that it's a year round service and all weather except extreme wind. I also put the full quote in writing. It's more what to say when they say 'can you leave it'. It's quite a difficult one to answer without being confrontational. Also is the unknown about why they've asked to leave it, it could be a serious family issue like someone having died or something, so say they've had a family member of the house die and they just ask you to leave it without giving a reason, you then remind them of the agreement and obviously it would be the wrong thing to do, wouldn't be my fault but it would still be awkward.

The ones that give a reason I can deal with, but it's the ones without a reason that I'm wondering how to deal with it.

My reply would have been, Okay thanks for letting me know, if it happens again in January I would just ask the reason for skipping I keep it simple and polite

Latest Posts

Back