Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customer excuses

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Generally i think if they are a consistent good regular monthly customer good at paying and communicating can't go wrong, so one off skips not bad, the persistent cancellers that will skip 3-6 months will do this more often given the chance but they'll

On quote I verbally say that it's a year round service and all weather except extreme wind. I also put the full quote in writing. It's more what to say when they say 'can you leave it'. It's quite a difficult one to answer without being confrontational. Also is the unknown about why they've asked to leave it, it could be a serious family issue like someone having died or something, so say they've had a family member of the house die and they just ask you to leave it without giving a reason, you then remind them of the agreement and obviously it would be the wrong thing to do, wouldn't be my fault but it would still be awkward.

The ones that give a reason I can deal with, but it's the ones without a reason that I'm wondering how to deal with it.
Yes I quite agree you dont want to be incensative or overly nosy some will say leave it this time they aren’t to dirty ,or looks like it will rain , etc if they just ask to leave it without a reason we would ask if they said a family member has just died then we would offer our condolences and of course leave it no problem I think sometimes you can gauge the genuine ones from the pita ones you get to know the customers most of ours now if they asked us to leave it I would know it was a genuine reason as most would apologise and say sorry can we leave it this time new Windows being fitted next week or decorators are working in the place etc

My reply would have been, Okay thanks for letting me know, if it happens again in January I would just ask the reason for skipping I keep it simple and polite
Yeah that sounds like a good approach and would avoid the awkwardness a bit. Think I might do that for the first skip and then play it by that. As it is I've lost them anyway so allowing them to skip the first skip wouldn't make a difference.

Think I'll play it by ere though, if they're in close proximity to my other customers then I'll be more strict as I don't want a case of 'you left his why won't you leave mine this month?' situation. I already had a bit of that when I put my prices up, some of my customers contacted me before I contacted them about it because the ones I had told about the price increase phoned them up and told them their price will be going up which created a bit of a panic with some of them ?

Yes agree and there are plenty of new customers waiting so nothing lost sorting the problem one’s out

On quote I verbally say that it's a year round service and all weather except extreme wind. I also put the full quote in writing. It's more what to say when they say 'can you leave it'. It's quite a difficult one to answer without being confrontational. Also is the unknown about why they've asked to leave it, it could be a serious family issue like someone having died or something, so say they've had a family member of the house die and they just ask you to leave it without giving a reason, you then remind them of the agreement and obviously it would be the wrong thing to do, wouldn't be my fault but it would still be awkward.

The ones that give a reason I can deal with, but it's the ones without a reason that I'm wondering how to deal with it.
I think sometimes frequency can be an issue, particularly with a 4 weekly.
I'd be inclined to let it slide first time but if it happened again in the near future then I'd point out that was the second time in the last X months you've cancelled me, is there any reason for it?
If they're happy with the service the most probable reason is likely to be financial. So if they are otherwise a decent customer I might offer a change of frequency, e.g. 4 weeks to 6 or 8 weeks and if that works out, great. My view is it makes good business sense to see if you can easily find an alternative that works for both of you. The idea of just going round dumping customers at the drop of a hat doesn't make sense to me. Not unless they are a proven pita.

I've had some large scale oxterior jobs or big roofs etc that I've had to set aside an entire week for. Then on Monday morning en route there they've cancelled it and given the most pathetic excuses. A week's money gone just like that. A week I could've filled with other jobs several times over. They couldn't give a flying duck. Now that is frustrating.
On the other forum the popular mantra r.e. unreliable customers was ' dump 'em and replace with 2 good uns.' What utter nonsense that is!
Back in the real world it's not that easy. It's worth keepong hold of repeat business until you know they're not worth the bother.

I'd be inclined to let it slide first time but if it happened again in the near future then I'd point out that was the second time in the last X months you've cancelled me, is there any reason for it?
If they're happy with the service the most probable reason is likely to be financial. So if they are otherwise a decent customer I might offer a change of frequency, e.g. 4 weeks to 6 or 8 weeks and if that works out, great. My view is it makes good business sense to see if you can easily find an alternative that works for both of you. The idea of just going round dumping customers at the drop of a hat doesn't make sense to me. Not unless they are a proven pita.

I've had some large scale oxterior jobs or big roofs etc that I've had to set aside an entire week for. Then on Monday morning en route there they've cancelled it and given the most pathetic excuses. A week's money gone just like that. A week I could've filled with other jobs several times over. They couldn't give a flying duck. Now that is frustrating.
On the other forum the popular mantra r.e. unreliable customers was ' dump 'em and replace with 2 good uns.' What utter nonsense that is!
Back in the real world it's not that easy. It's worth keepong hold of repeat business until you know they're not worth the bother.
Yeah I agree. I do have customers who come up with the silliest of reasons to delay it by a week or something and that I tolerate it, has to be a reasonable size job though. I do agree that you can't be that choosey as you end up with no customers if you cancel everyone that causes an issue, they all tend to have some sort of issue, whether that be off the beaten track, muddy gardens, obstacles in the garden, slight delay on payment, a talker who delays you... I try and accommodate them the best I can, it was just the can you leave it type.

Think that's a good way to do it though, just ok the first time and then the next time they do it then it sounds ok to say 'Hi Mr / Mrs 'x', this is the second time you've asked to leave it in 6 months, is there any reason for it? Regards, Chris'

Think that sounds good, I feel happy with that as a plan. If they say they don't need doing then I'll just offer them every 8 weeks and that will be a take it or leave it offer.

Cheers for that, I was a bit stuck there :LOL: I don't like not having a plan in place ?

I cannot comment on other parts of the country but down hear work is so easy to pick up regular 4 weekly work I wouldn’t bother trying to put them on a different frequency I tend to find any customer who is a poor payer or leave it this time without a genuine reason will be the same regardless of frequency so it’s an instant dump from me ????, we always push 4 weekly for domestic work and to be fair down hear that’s what most ask for , we do do a few 8 weekly but ime gradually getting rid of them as 4 weekly suites us better trying to balance 4 and 8 weekly can be a pain one month we have far to much work the next we have a bit of spare time so 4 weekly will be the only option by next spring . Commercial is a different kettle of fish happy to do any frequency provided the jobs are in the hundreds of pounds a clean .

Yeah I agree. I do have customers who come up with the silliest of reasons to delay it by a week or something and that I tolerate it, has to be a reasonable size job though. I do agree that you can't be that choosey as you end up with no customers if you cancel everyone that causes an issue, they all tend to have some sort of issue, whether that be off the beaten track, muddy gardens, obstacles in the garden, slight delay on payment, a talker who delays you... I try and accommodate them the best I can, it was just the can you leave it type.

Think that's a good way to do it though, just ok the first time and then the next time they do it then it sounds ok to say 'Hi Mr / Mrs 'x', this is the second time you've asked to leave it in 6 months, is there any reason for it? Regards, Chris'

Think that sounds good, I feel happy with that as a plan. If they say they don't need doing then I'll just offer them every 8 weeks and that will be a take it or leave it offer.

Cheers for that, I was a bit stuck there :LOL: I don't like not having a plan in place ?
Sounds about right to me. I mean, the thing is when you're dealing with lots of different people on a daily basis, you're bound to get the odd hiccup and complication.
And if someone is usually a decent payer I don't think it hurts to bend a little as long as they don't make it a habit.
We've all got different expectations and tolerance levels but if they continue to be a source of income all well and good. If they become an inconvenience drop them.

Last edited:
Personally, I think we are very fortunate in business to have regular work some other businesses don't, as much and have to take cancellations and ad-hoc service requests and cancellations on the chin, perfect example we have a dog walker we only use them when we need them it might be 1-2 days a week or not at all some weeks, she fully accepts this and has never been off with us about it but we do have a good rapport with them both so maybe this helps

I've said it on here in the past people don't see it as an issue skipping a clean because of the number of services mostly tv subscriptions that you can just start up and cancel as when you or they see fit and there is plenty more for food and drink, the skippers are a drop in the ocean when it comes to us and most have a reasonable excuse like building or landscaping work

Personally, I think we are very fortunate in business to have regular work some other businesses don't, as much and have to take cancellations and ad-hoc service requests and cancellations on the chin, perfect example we have a dog walker we only use them when we need them it might be 1-2 days a week or not at all some weeks, she fully accepts this and has never been off with us about it but we do have a good rapport with them both so maybe this helps

I've said it on here in the past people don't see it as an issue skipping a clean because of the number of services mostly tv subscriptions that you can just start up and cancel as when you or they see fit and there is plenty more for food and drink, the skippers are a drop in the ocean when it comes to us and most have a reasonable excuse like building or landscaping work
I agree missing some walking sessions is reasonable as they aren't going to charge you more for missed walks, where as missed cleans take more time more muck and they still want it for same price too, the customer in my experience see and take advantage and if you charge more for longer periods they want to cancel. Honesty to me is best if they said they were struggling rather than taking ? as time and time they want the service but don't want to shell out or want the service for a stupid soul crushing price that they deem reasonable and that they wouldn't work for that cheap hourly rate in their job

Yes but it’s also about respecting that I do this for a living. She said ‘I wanted to see you before Xmas so I could give you your Xmas present aswell’. She usually gives me chocolates. But the bank doesn’t accept mortgage payment in the form of chocolates currently so…
to me your attitudes wrong the customer is always right if a customer wants me to miss a clean i respect there decision snd move onto the next house and add them back in next time round.

to me your attitudes wrong the customer is always right if a customer wants me to miss a clean i respect there decision snd move onto the next house and add them back in next time round.
I work 6 weekly only and won’t tolerate regular messers
It’s not wrong as you need to know what you will earn each week
1 skipped daily would be about £450 on my 6 weekly round
Have you got that to throw around?
That is the difference between £6750 and £6300 roughly
Makes a difference
Nearly 4k a year

to me your attitudes wrong the customer is always right if a customer wants me to miss a clean i respect there decision snd move onto the next house and add thea we
You must be kidding Barry! That’s just ridiculous. You can have a different approach but the customer is not always rite and I bet if you tally up how much you’re losing out on a year by ‘respecting their decision’ you’d have enough to heat your house for a month or 2.

I think you’re pulling my leg ??

You must be kidding Barry! That’s just ridiculous. You can have a different approach but the customer is not always rite and I bet if you tally up how much you’re losing out on a year by ‘respecting their decision’ you’d have enough to heat your house for a month or 2.

I think you’re pulling my leg ??
They are not always right when they fail to pay. Once established you can weed out the dross that's what I have started and its paying dividends, if they call I say my van got frozen and block them.

I agree missing some walking sessions is reasonable as they aren't going to charge you more for missed walks, where as missed cleans take more time more muck and they still want it for same price too, the customer in my experience see and take advantage and if you charge more for longer periods they want to cancel. Honesty to me is best if they said they were struggling rather than taking ? as time and time they want the service but don't want to shell out or want the service for a stupid soul crushing price that they deem reasonable and that they wouldn't work for that cheap hourly rate in their job
It's still missed income though we did have a more structured thing going on before my wife changed jobs, so I am conscious of this with being a business owner so I do try I make it up with extra walks or daycare at other times

it's the lost income that gets me with skippers if they text on the morning of a clean after getting a text for a locked gate the night before I charge the full price as do I with doorstep cancellations.

It's still missed income though we did have a more structured thing going on before my wife changed jobs, so I am conscious of this with being a business owner so I do try I make it up with extra walks or daycare at other times

it's the lost income that gets me with skippers if they text on the morning of a clean after getting a text for a locked gate the night before I charge the full price as do I with doorstep cancellations.
PITA I'm not sure i feel confident enough to charge full price for not unlocking gates etc or cancellations on that morning i use the spare time created to probably de-scuff a few doors I'd just like to see their work say don't need you today and so not be paying you for day or payday delayed for a few weeks

I'm glad you brought this up as I too have experienced the same thing this week and didn't know whether I had been a bit to over the top with the way I dealt with it.

Basically I had a new customer in the summer and have been doing them every 4 weeks since without problem. This time though I sent a text the night before saying I'm coming to clean and they text back saying 'Can you leave it this time please'.

I didn't want to just agree as I don't want my other customers trying the same thing (word can get round). I always accommodate for holidays, building work etc and reschedule, come back to do backs of houses etc, so it's not as if I don't give a good service and I'm very flexible that way... but not having the windows cleaned without a reason just didn't sit well with me.

So I text back basically what you said to your customer. I said 'Is there any reason why you want to leave it? The only reason I ask is that the service is a once every 4 week service all year round, the odd holiday or building work is fine, I can work with that, but can't run the business on an as and when required basis as I have to plan ahead. I hope you understand. Regards, Chris.'

The customer then just text back saying 'just cancel it then'

I've cancelled them and wished them well etc but I have wondered whether it came across as a bit too pushy? Like did I come across in a way that would get someones back up?

I'm happy with how my service is, but I want to get the point across without causing offence. I just don't know whether I was a bit too blunt?
I've had very similar instances in the past. 99% of the time I know it's a customer whose going to become a problem down the line with skipping cleans with no excuses. I've learnt to not reply when a customer says 'leave it this month, ta' and see how it goes the next momth. I give 3 strike rule for all my customers. Building work, and holidays are fine but if I'm only getting 8-9 cleans a year from a customer on a monthly I stop making an effort with them.
Recently a customer (who has no money worries, you know the ones who have genuine money worries) kept skipping cleans I asked would they like to move to bi-monthly cleans in which she replied, yes, I said, it would be slightly more money as they would be dirtier she said, just cancel it then. In which I replied ok, take care and thank you for your custom. I was over the moon, i did a cartwheel across the living room. This customer was a pain in the hole, took weeks to pay me, was messing me about for 8-9 months off and on. Previous to that was an absolute gem for about 2 years.
You can't tell how things are going to go really, but don't be walked over, stay polite and be relieved when the bad eggs jump ship.

PITA I'm not sure i feel confident enough to charge full price for not unlocking gates etc or cancellations on that morning i use the spare time created to probably de-scuff a few doors I'd just like to see their work say don't need you today and so not be paying you for day or payday delayed for a few weeks
It's written on my website which they get the link to at the point of signing up so I have no issue charging full price I ain't losing expected income.

I am in the same thought camp it would be a right kick in the teeth for them, the PAYE lot just don't have a clue with their guaranteed 40hr week and 4-5 weeks paid holiday.

I’m not sure people connect our service being our income.
I had one last night put me off because of the cold. I reminded her I’m in for a hip replacement in the new year and it could be 4 months before I call again. She still didn’t bite but wished me a happy Christmas. This is the same woman who was concerned I wouldn’t be earning while I recuperate when I told her 6 weeks ago.
And they think we’re thick ?

I'm sorry mate but the customer is always right is an old fashioned, out of date cliche from a bygone era.
It's all well and good for Marks & Sparks or John Lewis to adopt that approach in their cistomer service policy. They can afford to and it's become part of their brand.
But back in the real world you've got to deal with customers objectively. And remember that some are horrible and will take liberties if they possibly can.
As @AllGleam has said, some will happily have you working for a pittance if it saves them money and if they think you need the money they will gladly try and exploit you given the opportunity

My take on this, fwiw, is that in the current economic crisis, with very little money about, we need customers a lot more than they need us! Always incredibly polite to them, whatever the provocation - one unhappy customer is one too many as things stand, and people talk. Not just to each other but on social media.

Latest Posts

Back