Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

D.I.Y Electric hose reel conversion for less than £50

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I been tempted to have a go but I'm wondering if they have problems winding on unevenly. Does anyone use hose guides that go left and right to lay the hose on evenly? I'd use a wireless switch to wind in while I walk back to the van to save time, so I wouldn't be able to guide it on by hand. Also with that setup with the motor and chain is it easy enough to pull hose out?

070bc8fed9e1ea848afc615316a9279b.jpg
Got my electric hose reel working.

Added a chain tensioner and heavy duty switch (not necessarily, but it was for me. I over kill everything)

Thanks guys for your input

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
As a DIY enthusiast, I'm thinking of having a a go at building one. Do you have links for the materials bought best?

Good effort there mate!

Any updated info on how these motorised reels are performing???

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

That's sounds very encouraging Adam angler
Thanks

I've placed my order for parts will update my thoughts too.

I know a guy local who has.no handles on his hosereels and has a cordless drill with a socket he connects to reel his hose in

Works fine but looks weird 

I've just ordered all my parts for electric hose reel. Getting excited now.

where did you guys that posted pictures get your hand held switches from? I'm looking for a hand held one with only one or two buttons on in and the coiled up wire that I can pull right out the back of the van if needed as I uncoil twists etc but really struggling to find one.

Also, what size fuse have you all got? Motors rated at 14a 24v so if I run at 12v will it be 28a? That seems a lot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-Button-Control-Box-tail-lift-winch-windlass/152390646227?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44760%26meid%3D6fcb9556c9c0489ba5ca26a074c6e0c5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D262824182973

Fuse is another issue.

Ohms law says you are correct. However as the motor is 24v reducing the power input to 12v will reduce the motor's speed by half as well as the motor's torque. Does that mean that the fuse need is 7 amps?  :1f632:

I don't know the answer to that.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have to agree with best I have just completed a diy reel with 250w motor. Not quite enough power in my opinion. So just bought a 350w motor for our 2nd reel.
Best: Was there much difference on rpm and torque?

Have to agree with best I have just completed a diy reel with 250w motor. Not quite enough power in my opinion. So just bought a 350w motor for our 2nd reel.
Best: Was there much difference on rpm and torque?

Great, works great,
Just made a 2nd one used a 300w motor as I thought the 250w was slightly lacking in power. (2 man setup)
I personally would not go above 300w

There was a big difference between the 2 motors.
But to be fair they were on 2 different types of reels
The 250w was on a petal type reel.
The 300w was on a claber reel.

I was considering putting the petal type reel on bearings to increase the movement, and hopefully get the most from the motor.

This doesnt seem right to me, how can a 350w 24v motor outperform a 250w 24v motor if the supply is only 12v?

surely if the 250w motor is only getting 12v then the way to increase its torque would be to supply it with 24v

but im not sure how wattage works in relation to voltage 

i have noticed with mine that it needs a fully charge battery to work well all day and owards the end of the day it is slowing a bit, it really needs 24v imo.

u cud always run the reel direct from battery       van        but wen reelin in turn van on first       only a idea

I have changed my 250w DIY reel motor to a 350w motor and found a big difference in torque and speed.
With the 250w motor connected, as test, I pulled the hose out around corner of house approx 50ft. When reeling in it was slow also had to help hose along until it came around corner then the speed picked up enough to let go of hose.

Now with the 350w motor fitted, different ball game altogether. Could have pulled out more hose around corner and didn't need to help hose along when reeling in.
So pleased with mine and planning to get 2nd one fitted.

24v 250w motor is rated 14 amps
24v 350w motor rated 18.7 amps

We do have a split charger and never need to charge battery via mains, therefore we get a steady 12.5v every day, so topping up battery every time we move van.

I did fit one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361905853471
But didn't find any difference in torque of speed. Don't know why?

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wish I had heard this 2 days ago before I ordered 250v motor!

How can it use so much current to flatten a battery. Even if it pulls 30a, in a day how long is it being used for? 20 minutes on a big day? So 1/3 of 30a is 10 amps, hardly seems enough to make a difference to a big leisure battery...

But hearing everyone say this does make it seem it's a problem

Back